• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ghost Cases - opening titles

Sweet! What channel is this going to be on Paul, in Ontario to be specific.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about Ontario. Eastlink TV broadcasts in Nova Scotia and PEI, but they now have affiliates across the country. I'll check with them and see what the situation is elsewhere and let you know when I know.

Paul

Thanks.

I'm not sure about Ontario. Eastlink TV broadcasts in Nova Scotia and PEI, but they now have affiliates across the country. I'll check with them and see what the situation is elsewhere and let you know when I know.

Paul

I wish you could stream it over the internet so those of us on this side of the border could watch. 8)

I wish you could stream it over the internet so those of us on this side of the border could watch. 8)

Alas, that's not how the profit-oriented film and television industry works. It's kind of like wishing for folks to give you a free car. ;)

We do have a distributor, so hopefully it will find a home in the United States at some point. That way you get to see it, and I get to make money (and pay back our various investors, as well as the taxman).

We also have a book coming out in early 2010, co-written by myself and my co-producer / co-director on the series, Dale Stevens (no relation to Holly). Dale and I will each break down our experiences on the 13 cases we investigated. Some excerpts:

From Chapter 1 on the old jail in St. Andrews, New Brunswick:

Holly and I would often talk, sometimes seriously and sometimes for a laugh, about how when the season was done we would hop on a plane, fly down to Peru, journey up into the rainforest to a village where a shaman would conduct a traditional native cleansing ritual, so that we could clear ourselves of any residual “bad energy” that might have attached itself to us. If there was any one case that brought us closest to booking those tickets, it was the old jail in St. Andrews, where neither of us could shake the uncomfortable feeling that we may have run across the spirit of a very, very bad man. For our sakes, I hope Tom Hutchings is still in that cell, suffering for the horrible crime he committed forty-five years ago.

From Chapter 2 on McCall's farm, Quinan, Nova Scotia:

Given that the basement was a key nexus of reported paranormal activity, I decided that I would spend time down there alone while Holly and psychic Kelly Muise, who was assisting us that evening, were upstairs in the kitchen conducting a sort of séance to try and contact whatever spirits were in the house. Now, while I have never ruled out the possibility that some psychic phenomena might be real, I have never been a proponent of using a psychic in one of our investigations. Dale prevailed on me to make an exception at McCall’s farm, however, so I did. The results wound up challenging all of my preconceived notions about both psychics and ghosts.

As I sat on the stairs in the frigid cold basement, with the door tightly wedged shut behind me, I could hear the proceedings upstairs in the kitchen through the floorboards. No matter what I thought of using psychics, I was struck by the fact that at least it was a shared experience between Kelly and Holly (and our camera crew), while I was stuck in the basement alone. That definitely ratcheted up the creepy factor. I couldn’t help but think that if there was a malevolent presence in the house, it would probably go for me first, as opposed to the group upstairs, because that’s what I figured I would do if I was a ghost with bad intentions. As a result, I felt like a lone wildebeest, cut off from the herd by a group of hungry lions.

From Chapter 3 on the Algonquin Hotel, St. Andrews, New Brunswick:

I wasn’t entirely kidding when I said that I felt the bride’s pain. I was engaged for almost nine years, but we never quite made it to the altar. You don’t just wake up the next day as if nothing had changed. It takes time to get over something like that, and it isn’t always easy. The difference between the bride and I is that when my engagement ended, I didn’t take the easy way out. I got on with the sometimes messy, sometimes difficult, but always worthwhile process of living my life to the fullest. The bride in room 473 at the Algonquin Hotel took a different path, and chose to end it all. In doing so, she may have created for herself the most existential dilemma of all. By trying to leave this world, and end her pain, she ensured that it would endure forever.

For her, there really was "no exit."

Paul

Back