• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Gettysburg "Ghost" video.

Definitely looks like almost like a tape rewinding doesnt it...as it seem the scene plays a few times over during the film.

My wife and I figured out a really long time ago that alot of spirit manifestations seem to be about 3 ft off the ground. (Or the environment ground we percieve) While alot of the "residual" stuff people talk about is right on the ground. (Recall Ghost Hunters trip to the Bird Cage where they saw a woman walk down the stairs, not 3 ft off the stairs.)

So residual seems to fit...sorta. Then again, no one tried yelling to the "ghosts" in the film. Would they have stopped and looked if they did? I will say the film wierds me out in the way it rewinds and plays again and again...it's just somehow familiar in that bizarre kind of way. Anyone get what I mean?

My shop is on the grounds of a Civil War Inn, and the Inn and surrounding grounds has long been known to be haunted (I had a sighting myself many years ago, as did my Grandmother a few times) and the owner has seen more then once, spirits that interacted to his presence. There are accounts he's told me about that do sound residual though.

I'm petty fascinated with the ghost thing, but as with most para-stuff I'm not sure the commonly held ideas are bang-on. The residual idea seems to fit, but my big question is what starts the tape player, to play again? Nature? Or something related to who we're seeing? If it's that, then is it really residual? Are we seeing physical manifestations of someone's recalled memories?

jritzmann said:
. . . the film wierds me out in the way it rewinds and plays again and again...it's just somehow familiar in that bizarre kind of way. Anyone get what I mean?

I agree, Jeff. It feels like the spirits or whatever they are, blend perfectly into the natural environment. In that way the whole thing is eerily familiar, like I may have seen glimpses of this sort of thing many times, though I have no memory of anything specifically. The white flashes precede the in-and-out of the soldiers. Could a residual haunting involve white flashes or orbs? Also, the soldiers look like they could be wearing capes; my first impression was the gray capes of the South. I'd assume those were not worn on the very hot and humid days of the Battle of Gettysburg (7/1-7/3). But if these were spirits doing this to maintain the energy of war or comradery--they might well imagine themselves in full regalia. All speculation, of course. There may be no capes, just my computer screen's blur. Or my own.

jritzmann said:
My shop is on the grounds of a Civil War Inn, and the Inn and surrounding grounds has long been known to be haunted (I had a sighting myself many years ago, as did my Grandmother a few times) and the owner has seen more then once, spirits that interacted to his presence. There are accounts he's told me about that do sound residual though.

I'd love to check out your shop--if you feel like posting that. Also, any EVPs or anything else you'd like to post from there. You're accounts have been some of my favorite listening on the Paracast, and there's a lot more weight to something paranormal if I know it's passed your test.

jritzmann said:
My big question is what starts the tape player, to play again? Nature? Or something related to who we're seeing? If it's that, then is it really residual? Are we seeing physical manifestations of someone's recalled memories?

Because of the white flashes and the full regalia, I just don't sense this is pure residual. But maybe there's a third option: What if under the most traumatic or emotionally intense circumstances, humans are able to "play" with time? Could it be that those entities joined some sort of astral state even before they died? The percentage of dead, especially for the South, was astronomical. They say that on Pickett's Charge, for example, the Army of Northern Virginia marched headlong line after line into certain death.
--scott

I have to look at one thing, the soldiers look as if they are going away and to the right. I wonder if they arent retreating. The flashes you see (if they arent just fireflies) could be rifle muzzle flash (which is really interesting). We might be seeing just one person's replaying perception or "ghost".

?

jritzmann said:
Definitely looks like almost like a tape rewinding doesnt it...as it seem the scene plays a few times over during the film.

My wife and I figured out a really long time ago that alot of spirit manifestations seem to be about 3 ft off the ground. (Or the environment ground we percieve) While alot of the "residual" stuff people talk about is right on the ground. (Recall Ghost Hunters trip to the Bird Cage where they saw a woman walk down the stairs, not 3 ft off the stairs.)

So residual seems to fit...sorta. Then again, no one tried yelling to the "ghosts" in the film. Would they have stopped and looked if they did? I will say the film wierds me out in the way it rewinds and plays again and again...it's just somehow familiar in that bizarre kind of way. Anyone get what I mean?

I'm petty fascinated with the ghost thing, but as with most para-stuff I'm not sure the commonly held ideas are bang-on. The residual idea seems to fit, but my big question is what starts the tape player, to play again? Nature? Or something related to who we're seeing? If it's that, then is it really residual? Are we seeing physical manifestations of someone's recalled memories?

I noticed the same thing. I often have to mention this when debunkers say that ghost would fall through the ground since they aren't solid.

Paranormal Packrat said:
I noticed the same thing. I often have to mention this when debunkers say that ghost would fall through the ground since they aren't solid.

I've found that to be funny too. What I've thought myself about is the idea that the "ghost" is walking on the ground he/she knew when they were here. If the spirit is there and self aware, maybe they arent seeing the world as we do, but how it was for them.

The 3 ft off the ground thing...I wouldnt guess how that fits in, other then maybe the next plane of reality from here is closer then we think...maybe 3 ft above us. ;)

Man. I don't know what to think of this. I get the impression that there's no awareness of any external observation...OK, that's probably obvious. But it looks as though you could walk through the middle of it and they would take no note of you. It's just some guys going about their business. But you can only see it in spots. Like the spots where the sun might be reflecting brightly, had you been there when it actually occurred. It makes me wonder how you'd see it from another position, if you take my meaning. It's almost like you're looking directly into another time.

The 3-feet off the ground thing is really interesting, and seems to hold true for a lot of my experiences, too.
As far as what causes the "tape" to play: I've always thought that it was when your energy and the residual energy reached an accord...vibrating at the same rate, or something like that. I ususally see imprints or residuals when my energy level is high, or I have a lot of nervous energy.
I'm really interested in your shop, J, and I hope you post any coolies that you might get!

Back