• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Gene's interviewed on eerie radio

Free episodes:

It was nice to hear Gene out of his element. Seemed like everyone was real comfortable around each other. Kind of like the Paracast round tables ( best shows IMHO).

Those guys on ERRIE seem to "get it". They would probably make good guests on The Paracast. I guess I'll have to listen to the rest of their shows.

Any other podcasts worth listening too out there besides EERIE?

Besides The Paracast and EERIE Radio, I like the Disinformation Podcasts (and the old Out There Radio), Culture of Contact (The Clueless One is a good interviewer imho), and binnall of america. Um also This American Life.

oh and I'm looking forward to checking out... dare I say it... the Paratopia Podcast....
:)

:p
Jeremy's show is good. Same with Jeff's but he doesn't have many episodes.

I listen to Jeremy and when Jeff gets off his butt I will start listening to him again. :p

Thanks I will check the others out. I guess I gotta finally download itunes.

Hmm? None of the shows I listed have to be heard on itunes. I never use that.

Same here. I don't see the need to use Itunes ... or any Apple/Macintosh :D ... stuff at all. I always download what I'm going to listen to as an mp3 and then I can bung it on my cheapie mp3 player and take it wherever I will. Why get a smug ipod when there are hundreds of other cheaper alternatives :D

Oh and I was one of the first people to get an mp3 player in New Zealand, by the way, so I must know what I'm talking about :p. I had to import it from Australia, and it cost me 600 NZ dollars at the time. It had ... ooo ... an enormous 128Mb of memory (few years ago now before the ipod was even a smug glint in its fathers eye) and is the size of a cigarette lighter. I still use it now and again although now I have a 30 dollar 1 Gig mp3 from an well known electrical store here in NZ ... which does what I want (no need for I-this and I-that and I-the-other).

Anyway ... this will be my last rant of 2008. Just wanted to say that you don't need to use Itunes. Say no to I-this-that-and-the-other. Its not worth it kids ... and eventually it will be a better world for it. :p

ps check out other podcasts such as "Shadows in The Dark", "Pangea's World of Weird" ... there are quite a few out there. You just have to look ...

iTunes does have some advantages. I used to just download the mp3 files too, but now I download the podcast off iTunes whenever possible.

*For one, downloading the podcast off itunes automatically categorises it.
*You can also, pause, listen to something else, then come back and it will be at the same time stamp.
*Each podcast has the associated art from the podcast producer.
*Each podcast has the associated information about the episode. EXTREMELY handy when looking for a particular episode.

Same here. I don't see the need to use Itunes ... or any Apple/Macintosh :D ... stuff at all. I always download what I'm going to listen to as an mp3 and then I can bung it on my cheapie mp3 player and take it wherever I will. Why get a smug ipod when there are hundreds of other cheaper alternatives :D

Oh and I was one of the first people to get an mp3 player in New Zealand, by the way, so I must know what I'm talking about :p. I had to import it from Australia, and it cost me 600 NZ dollars at the time. It had ... ooo ... an enormous 128Mb of memory (few years ago now before the ipod was even a smug glint in its fathers eye) and is the size of a cigarette lighter. I still use it now and again although now I have a 30 dollar 1 Gig mp3 from an well known electrical store here in NZ ... which does what I want (no need for I-this and I-that and I-the-other).

Anyway ... this will be my last rant of 2008. Just wanted to say that you don't need to use Itunes. Say no to I-this-that-and-the-other. Its not worth it kids ... and eventually it will be a better world for it. :p

ps check out other podcasts such as "Shadows in The Dark", "Pangea's World of Weird" ... there are quite a few out there. You just have to look ...

My father bought me an Ipod for Xmas. After I explained I had no use for it, so he could take it back and get his money back, he said he'd just give me the money he spent on it. I'm buying video games with it.

I always have to ctrl alt del to shut down Itunes which runs in the background everytime my pc restarts. Annoying.

Blackberries would be cool if I ever left the house.

Aaron: Go into preferences or options within iTunes and disable auto-start when windows starts.

Now as far as the games go, make sure you get Fallout 3 and Dead Space. Both brilliant.

Yeah I've been playing through Fallout 3.. been sick since Tuesday and still no break. :( Anyway back on topic. We wanted to kind of get to know Gene a little more.. we like to have other podcasters/radio show personalities on the show because it takes some strange people to go through this kind of abuse week in and week out hehe. David you are more than welcome to come on again and even help us guest-host a show one day.. that would be interesting to say the least. :)

Aaron: Go into preferences or options within iTunes and disable auto-start when windows starts.

Now as far as the games go, make sure you get Fallout 3 and Dead Space. Both brilliant.

Thanks.

I'm still waitin for Fall Out's price to go down. I'll get it someday trust me.

I looked at Dead space just yesterday I think. It's only a spacecraft game right? Be cool if it was land and space.

I bought Dead to Rights for 1 buck, and Jade Empire for like 6, used. I may give in and buy the EQ2 expansion and resubscribe. I was making about 70 bucks a week playing that game on one of the exchange servers. Kinda miss the extra cash.

Currently playing Mass Effect, which crashes ALOT!!!!!!!!! And that Area 51 game I posted about.

So, which host from Eerie posts here? I've only listened to a couple of their shows. Sounds like they have 3 hosts?

good show, i always had wondered about gene's background

BUT i am sorry, i cannot listen to eerie radio anymore

they say some of the dumbest shit ive ever heard.....terrible, terrible interviewing

Great interview Gene, was good to hear you on a show other than the Paracast or Tech Night Owl.

As for iTunes, I prefer to use it for the automatic download of podcasts, much easier. Also syncs the ipods easier. Not getting into the whole ipod vs other mp3 player thing, but I do find the Apple ones easier to navigate and use. First one was a 4gb mini, then bought my current 80gb classic. My wife did have a creative zen stone which was horrible to navigate/use, so I bought her a 2gb (red) shuffle to replace it..... much better imo. But if other brands float your boat, then good thing :)

Noticed that Star Trek The Motion(less) Picture was mentioned on the show. I actually think its a really good movie..... I have the Directors Edition with the added segments. I think the team behind the additions made a really good job of it, matching the film grain and 'feel' of the visuals and making far better use of the audio mix. Anyways, thought it was a far better matching job for the visuals than were added in the first star wars movies. They just looked out of place imo :(

It's me, Ben (DK). :)

I agree. I like Itunes for it's file managing.. athough itunes is not free of it's annoying tendencies.. it does the job.

Yeah. I wish the outter graphic used in the latest iTunes version for podcasts tells you if there is a new one. You cant tell unless you drill one layer down and look at the lists and occasionally Ive missed a new podcast for a whole week.

Gene'a interviewed on eerie radio

We enjoyed having Gene on. :) Thanks Gene!

And no we were not nervous, but we definitely were excited to have him on.

And thanks Gareth for the show of support. Hope everyone had a wonderful christmas.

/dk
Happy to be on. Hope I didn't break any furniture during my visit. :)

These mp3 players sound very futuristic to me lol - my first one about 10 years or so ago, was 16mb internal....with, wait for it, a 16mb flash card on top, i had to encode at 96kbs just to get a whole album on it lol happy days.

Yeah. I wish the outter graphic used in the latest iTunes version for podcasts tells you if there is a new one. You cant tell unless you drill one layer down and look at the lists and occasionally Ive missed a new podcast for a whole week.

mine shows a new one without drilling down one layer. i use a Mac w/iTunes 8.

16mb! Wow! You could listen to a whole quarter of a show!

With the flash card added, split the file in two, cut out the adverts, re-encode to 24kbs and i'd get the whole show on there i tell ya!....probably end up as 2 hours of static, but at least it would be 2 hours of intellectually honest static :D

I enjoy both shows, every week. Gene's interview may not have been enlightening, but I don't really think it was intended to be. It was interesting and great fun.

Gene's distinguished speaking voice is obviously worthy of envy, but he does have a few more years of experience than DK and Fizz. Give it some time.

Anyway, good job by all. :cool:

Back