• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Fukushima plant loses power

Yeah they are cooling the plant via a very long extension cord as i heard it described

In the ensuing weeks, hundreds of Japanese workers and soldiers battled to contain the crisis. Their arsenal of weapons was often improvised, low-tech and underpowered. Helicopters dumped buckets of water over the plant to cool it. Electricians laid a cable to connect the plant to a power source miles away in what may have been the world’s longest extension cord.
Fukushima Emergency what can we do?: WELL, THEY'VE LOST THEIR ROBOT AND MORE LATE NEWS...

Nice post Mike.

This power loss is a sobering reminder that we have a potential extinction event just waiting in the wings.

Hell forget Maya dooms days or space rocks, I think our demise will be by our own hand.

In regards to Fukushima, I fear what they aren't reporting is far worse than what they are. This story came out a few months ago:

Japan falls far on press freedom list

PARIS – Japan plummeted to 53rd from the previous year’s 22nd in the 2013 press freedom ranking released Wednesday by Reporters Without Borders, a Paris-based nonprofit organization.
Japan “has been affected by a lack of transparency and almost zero respect for access to information on subjects directly or indirectly related to Fukushima,” the group said in a statement, referring to the nuclear catastrophe. “This sharp fall should sound an alarm,” it added

Japan falls far on press freedom list - The Japan Times
If one - and only one - story can make a country fall so far in the rankings of press freedom, we should all be sounding the alarm and demanding answers. If a known catastrophe has this much that is still secret, just how much more danger has this caused? I imagine only the smaller and more manageable problems will be reported from this point forward, always to give the illusion that the Japanese government has control of the situation.

Friend of mine once asked me to look at a defunct dishwasher which while out of warranty was still too new to be broken.

Inside i found a fried rodent, what was funny was one of its front legs was raised claw clenched in what looked like a fist shaking "damn you" last act of defiance

Back