• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

France in the year 2000 SEEN FROM 1899

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
The postcard picture I find the most curious is the 6th one from the bottom, titled 'At School'.

France in the year 2000

LINK: France in the year 2000 | The Public Domain Review

TEXT: "France in the Year 2000 (XXI century) – a series of futuristic pictures by Jean-Marc Côté and other artists issued in France in 1899, 1900, 1901 and 1910. Originally in the form of paper cards enclosed in cigarette/cigar boxes and, later, as postcards, the images depicted the world as it was imagined to be like in the year 2000. There are at least 87 cards known that were authored by various French artists, the first series being produced for the 1900 World Exhibition in Paris."

What is intriguing is the persistent vision that we would have individual flying apparatus. It shows up several times on the postcards - with firemen, and postmen, and others.

I am reminded of the 1960's Truffaut film of Bradbury's 'Fahrenheit 451' - there were flying policemen. (One of my all-time favorite films). This is one technology we do not seem really interested in pursuing. It's hard to imagine rush-hour with all the flying people! :eek:

''montag scape, scene'' {Fahrenheit-451} [1966]
TEXT: "Uploaded on Apr 27, 2009: Directed by François Truffaut. With Oskar Werner, Julie Christie, Cyril Cusack.
In an oppressive future, a fireman whose duty is to destroy all books begins .."

Back