• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Forum Suggestion: Politics Forum

cottonzway

I was saying boo-urns
I think a good idea would be to have a forum for POLITICS here. In know in particular David has mentioned about wanting to do a political show at some point. I think a good gauge to the people here would be this forum.

There are many issues that are on the tip of tongues of a lot of people that don’t fit any of the forums. I don’t think points about the war(s) going on, or the police state, or who so and so being a the best choice to lead our country as the next president, ect, are fair to put in the “Conspiracy” forum. Regardless if it is left/right or of your OWN I think a place here to talk about these things is needed. So many people that visit this forum have other opinions that they don’t have a place to voice because there is not an appropriate place to voice them.

Anyways, if people feel this is a good suggestion or not please say so. I would like to see this because I find there are a lot of intelligent people on these forums who have a lot of views that don’t “fit the box” of the forums that are on this site. What do people think?

cottonzway said:
I think a good idea would be to have a forum for POLITICS here. In know in particular David has mentioned about wanting to do a political show at some point. I think a good gauge to the people here would be this forum.

There are many issues that are on the tip of tongues of a lot of people that don’t fit any of the forums. I don’t think points about the war(s) going on, or the police state, or who so and so being a the best choice to lead our country as the next president, ect, are fair to put in the “Conspiracy” forum. Regardless if it is left/right or of your OWN I think a place here to talk about these things is needed. So many people that visit this forum have other opinions that they don’t have a place to voice because there is not an appropriate place to voice them.

Anyways, if people feel this is a good suggestion or not please say so. I would like to see this because I find there are a lot of intelligent people on these forums who have a lot of views that don’t “fit the box” of the forums that are on this site. What do people think?

That's something I'll want to discuss with David, although we approach that already in our Conspiracies board.

I understand, Gene. It’s just that some points really having nothing to do with conspiracy and have to do with accepted politics. For example, if I wanted to bring up an issue about let’s say the Patriot Act that just stated what the act says it really doesn’t fall under conspiracy. It’s just politics. I think there are a lot of points that are like that that goes on in society that a lot of people who come here may care about. I have to say that here there are more people who are intelligent then most places on the web I have seen. A lot of the primary points of politics seem to be on the readers/listeners lips. That in part is credit to yourself in David because you have listener base who just doesn’t buy any BS out there in the paranormal field. That to a great extent carries over to political issues, IMO.

The net is already crawling with a million forums that are permeated with politics. I come to places like this to get away from that stuff, and don't really want to read about everyone's political views. If it was relegated to its own dedicated forum or thread I suppose it wouldn't matter much. But still, every single "Politics" forums I've ever come across on any board is a ridiculous waste of time. It's all utter nonsense and endless griping/flaming/general stupidty.

I already cringe every time Gene or David makes their weekly lame and tired jokes about Bush being an alien etc. The hosts are liberals and hate the current administration and don't think too much of Religion/Christians. I get it. It doesn't need to be interjected basically every single show, and it doesn't add anything to the content. Can't this forum and the podcasts just stick to paranormal and fortean topics?

By the way, I DO love the podcasts when they stay on topic. I find myself agreeing with them pretty much right down the line on every subject. I love the balance of open-mindedness tempered with common sense and skepticism. The paracast is one of my favorite podcasts, and I'd hate to see it get worse from an increase in political content.

DamnDirtyApe said:
The net is already crawling with a million forums that are permeated with politics. I come to places like this to get away from that stuff, and don't really want to read about everyone's political views. If it was relegated to its own dedicated forum or thread I suppose it wouldn't matter much. But still, every single "Politics" forums I've ever come across on any board is a ridiculous waste of time. It's all utter nonsense and endless griping/flaming/general stupidty.

I already cringe every time Gene or David makes their weekly lame and tired jokes about Bush being an alien etc. The hosts are liberals and hate the current administration and don't think too much of Religion/Christians. I get it. It doesn't need to be interjected basically every single show, and it doesn't add anything to the content. Can't this forum and the podcasts just stick to paranormal and fortean topics?

By the way, I DO love the podcasts when they stay on topic. I find myself agreeing with them pretty much right down the line on every subject. I love the balance of open-mindedness tempered with common sense and skepticism. The paracast is one of my favorite podcasts, and I'd hate to see it get worse from an increase in political content.

I'm not saying it needs to be on the SHOW (I agree with you on that it should not be on the show) but on these forums here there are a great deal of people who I feel have a lot of views on these types of issues.

One of the hosts on this show has said on the site here and on the air that he is considering doing a show on these political issues. If that is the case then a forum on this site is a good idea. That is fine if you have no interest in it. I am not suggesting it to be on the show. Only as a forum here to be able to talk about it.

I am not suggesting for this to be in the show, but on the forums here. To folks like you who do not want to hear these topics you can simply not check the forums that these issues apply to. I really like the "show" as it is and want to keep it that. I am only suggesting something that is a side issue.

I hear ya, my only concern would be that an increase in political threads on the forums would tempt the hosts to comment on it more often, or interject more of their own political views into the show since "everyone's talking about it back on the forums".

As long as it wouldn't seep into the show, a seperate politics section could be easily avoided by folks like myself.

Well if you dislike such topics you can ignore them. My suggestion is NOT to have these issue be talked about the "PARACAST" that you and I listen to weekly. It's only for people who wish to engage in such debates and would serve as an excellent tool for David who has a strong interest in this topic and has expressed interests in doing a show in regards to the topics.

Even though I obviously have a deep interest in politics and a strong political stance, as I've already stated, The Paracast is not the venue for discussing them in detail, nor will the forums be used overtly as a political medium. I appreciate that some of you would like to have a dialog with me - and each other - on these topics, and perhaps there will be such a place in the near future, but not here. I agree that there's a danger that increased discussion about politics here could indeed seep into the show, and that would simply not be constructive for our audience and guests.

In my experience being a moderator on some music forums it is inevitable that if the political theme is given an inch then it will take a yard. I felt until recently that having political threads allowed and a paracast political topic show be allowed to happen would be a good thing once in a while. But now that I have had some time to think about it... well I am afraid that the show would then jump the shark and become something less than what it is.

When dealing with subjects and have guest like Rich Dolan you can't help but have some some political matter discussed. But that is the nature of his beast. And it is a good beast to tackle I think.

There are no shortage of places for people to gather and argue their political ideas. In fact, people go out of their way to argue their political ideas in any format they are given whether it is intended for political discussion or not.

It's the old addage . . . opinions are like . . .uh . . . chromosomes . .. everybody has them. Doubly so for political opinions.

Anyone who has spent any time arguing politics has seen both sides of every argument on every major issue in the public arena today. All that's left to do is watch the partisans go around in circles arguing the same things, flinging the same insults, and quoting the same tired catchphrases.

. . . oh . .. and of course the inevitable faction of Libertarians that will arise to remind everyone that they're still around, and still irrelevant.

It's nice to have a place like the Paracast where we can insult people for something other than their political views. We all know why liberals are closet commies, weaklings, and hate America while conservatives are all facist corporation worshipping, god fearing gay-haters. It's all we hear, all day, every day, from almost every media source available. Boring. I don't find the forums to be lacking because they don't carry that particular brand of idiocy . .. in fact I find it kind of nice.

Of course . . .that doesn't stop me from going to other forums to rip on political idealougues . . . so maybe I'm a hypocrite.

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
Boring. I don't find the forums to be lacking because they don't carry that particular brand of idiocy . .. in fact I find it kind of nice.

Of course . . .that doesn't stop me from going to other forums to rip on political idealougues . . . so maybe I'm a hypocrite.

-DBTrek

Perhaps if someone could just post the Disclosure or UFO views of candidates here, without getting into their other deficiencies. I know that Disclosure is important to me (not whether or not it happens, but whether or not anyone in government is at least aware of the need to discuss how many secrets get disclosed and how many agencies we need that are allowed to keep secrets, and at what level, and who controls them). Even something so mild as a candidate's views of the FOI (freedom of information) Act, or the Paperwork Reduction Act. These affect greatly how UFO researchers can access data.

auntiegrav said:
DBTrek said:
Boring. I don't find the forums to be lacking because they don't carry that particular brand of idiocy . .. in fact I find it kind of nice.

-DBTrek

Perhaps if someone could just post the Disclosure or UFO views of candidates here, without getting into their other deficiencies. I know that Disclosure is important to me (not whether or not it happens, but whether or not anyone in government is at least aware of the need to discuss how many secrets get disclosed and how many agencies we need that are allowed to keep secrets, and at what level, and who controls them). Even something so mild as a candidate's views of the FOI (freedom of information) Act, or the Paperwork Reduction Act. These affect greatly how UFO researchers can access data.

I wonder if Stephen Basset would have that info - that's right up his alley I'd imagine.

I gotta say, I thought the back-and-forth you got into with Richard Dolan, which was political and altpolitical (conspiracy theory, parapolitics, whatever you wanna call it) was one of the best things that the paracast has aired.

I also think that it is impossible to do UFOs without some political angle. You could focus on narrow technical issues, and you could focus just on sightings. But any big picture discussions on ufology and UFOs, it is going to come up.

spookyparadigm said:
I gotta say, I thought the back-and-forth you got into with Richard Dolan, which was political and altpolitical (conspiracy theory, parapolitics, whatever you wanna call it) was one of the best things that the paracast has aired.

I also think that it is impossible to do UFOs without some political angle. You could focus on narrow technical issues, and you could focus just on sightings. But any big picture discussions on ufology and UFOs, it is going to come up.

I agree. But Rich Dolan is just a very good guest to have on a show as well. He is very articulate and he actualy makes some sense.

spookyparadigm said:

I agree on both points. Any deep discussions of paranormal and UFO's gets into questioning beliefs, data, and who you can trust. That's pretty much what politics is all about, and what we need to look into for everything we think and do. If we can't ask a candidate about their methods of finding the truth about UFO's, then how do we know if they are even interested in other truths? It's pretty easy to spin common sayings and have speeches coached by ex-news Poly-Sci majors, but they aren't going to have pat answers for UFO questions. The media sets the framing for most QandA issues, but they don't know how to handle the paranormal. It doesn't play well in between Cadillac and Humvee commercials.

cottonzway said:
Fair enough. You never know unless you ask. :)
www.ronpaul2008.com

Cottonzway, we can all see your political persuasion there! haha. I don't know much about the politics of this Ron Paul guy you're promoting...but I sure did like him on "Frasier". What was his little dog's name? ;)

Back