• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Purpose

This thread outlines the basic forum rules and guidelines for participation. It is open for comment and discussion. The aim is to make the entire community forum the best it can be for those who like to participate in constructive discourse on whatever topic interests them.

Helpful Links
General Guidelines
  • All members ( including admins ) are free to participate constructively in any open forum.
  • Constructive content is that which is relevant to the subject of the thread and the topic at hand.
  • Constructive content avoids epithets, flaming, micro-flaming, derailing, and any other troll-like behavior.
  • Unconstructive comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator.
Handling Differences Of Opinion
  • Differences of opinion about the topic at hand are expected and allowed.
  • Nobody is obligated to agree with an opinion.
  • Nobody is discouraged from expressing valid differences of opinion ( counterpoint ).
  • Valid counterpoint to valid content does not include criticism of a participant's personality.
  • If differences of opinion become personally offensive, ask an Admin for assistance.
Complaints
  • Complaints about the way a difference of opinion are handled will be heard on the Complaints Desk.
  • Do not make complaints about content that doesn't contravene the Rules & Guidelines.
  • Complaints about issues that don't contravene the Rules & Guidelines will be dismissed.
  • Falsely accusing someone of trolling is itself a form of trolling and will be dismissed.

This is a work in progress. Constructive input is welcomed.

Last edited:
These are the ones we put into effect for a XenForo forum with a few additions for The Paracast+:

Terms and rules
Yes. That's the same link as in the post above. I'll be posting some other helpful guidelines fairly soon that I think you'll be fine with. Just basic stuff on forum etiquette, like addressing the substance of a discussion rather than making subjective value judgements or assumptions about the character or personality of a participant.

I think, also, we have to remind posters that it is they who are responsible for the content, and if they say things that are actionable, they will suffer the consequences. We also have the right to remove offensive posts for any reason or no reason at all, although we attempt to behave as benevolent dictators in that. We are more generous than some in letting people test or slightly exceed the limits.

I think, also, we have to remind posters that it is they who are responsible for the content, and if they say things that are actionable, they will suffer the consequences. We also have the right to remove offensive posts for any reason or no reason at all, although we attempt to behave as benevolent dictators in that. We are more generous than some in letting people test or slightly exceed the limits.
No doubt. And as you know, I've tested those limits myself from time to time :p. I've also gained some positive insights from them. @Pharoah has recently suggested that forum admins should recuse themselves of all admin privileges if they participate in a discussion. My response to that is here:

Feel free to weigh-in.

Rules & Guidelines Updated December 15, 2020
To view the updates click the link below

Some belief systems make one think they are living in a different reality. Hence Earth 2.
There was an Earth 2 TV series. So I was wondering if it was an allusion to that?

Interesting how you explanation can go both ways. In other words it could mean that you think other people are out of touch with the world around them, or it could mean that you think that you are out of touch with the world around you. I often feel as though I am in the latter category - the one on Earth 2, but that it's still the better of the two choices :p .

Last edited:
Back