• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Forum Facelift

Signatures and Buddie/Ignore lists were not carried over from the old forum - I'll be looking to correct that shortly, so it's probably best not to re-enter them 'cos I'll probably be over-writing them with the old data, if it's still around in the old forum database...

Rick Deckard said:
Signatures and Buddie/Ignore lists were not carried over from the old forum - I'll be looking to correct that shortly, so it's probably best not to re-enter them 'cos I'll probably be over-writing them with the old data, if it's still around in the old forum database...

And I wanted to take this opportunity to publicly thank you for all the hard work you're doing on the inner-plumbing of this forum. :shy:

pixelsmith said:
very clean look, maybe a little pc looking but i like it. nice work!

They actually have some Mac-style buttons, but the version available is incompatible with the version of the forum software we use.

But we'll be doing great things as we progress.

Right now, I want to leave it for our new hard-working Administrator to finish his plumbing repairs.

Rick Deckard said:
Okay - signatures are back...

...now for the buddy / ignore lists...

One of the board programmers told us that he forgot to put the signature conversion feature in, so we're grateful you helped them discover the oversight.

I will be honest that I liked the view of the old forum. Not that it matters really because I do not come here because of "how it looks" but for the talks/debates and content.

cottonzway said:
I will be honest that I liked the view of the old forum. Not that it matters really because I do not come here because of "how it looks" but for the talks/debates and content.

There are lots and lots of reasons for the switch, including superior RSS support and the future feature roadmap. Plus it's a lighter-weight application that runs faster and consumes less server resources.

But the themes can be modified, and we'll be looking into that once I'm sure all plumbing glitches are dealt with (and I think we're in pretty good shape in that area, thanks to Rick's great work).

I probably have not "seen" it yet. I'm going off the "cooler" looking aspect. I really doesn't matter though because I come here for the content. I'll probably grow to enjoy the aesthetics of the site over time anyways. ;)

cottonzway said:
I probably have not "seen" it yet. I'm going off the "cooler" looking aspect. I really doesn't matter though because I come here for the content. I'll probably grow to enjoy the aesthetics of the site over time anyways. ;)

I think you'll find it a little more user friendly. The other software, vBulletin, is more of a geek's delight, to my way of thinking. This layout is also comparable to our tech and SF (www.rockoids.com/forums) boards, so we have a "brand" identity.

OK, now that most of the teething pains are history, there are still some issues I want all of you to know about:

1. Passwords: For some reason, a few didn't make the translation. If you can't get your password to function, let us know via the Contact Us link at the bottom left of the page, and we'll reset it for you. There's no need to register a new account with us.

2. Links and HTML: Some of these didn't translate completely either, but we're not going to go in and change them except when we have the time (with is a rare, rare thing these days). If it's in your message, you can go in and fix it up for us :)

3. Quick/Full Edit: The latter only works when you want to revise new posts that you made in the forum after the conversion. Otherwise, use the Quick Edit feature to change your content.

4. Mark Forum Read: This feature doesn't always work automatically. It's a known bug, and the MyBB programmers will fix it for the next revision.

5. YouTube (New!): We added a modification to allow you to embed these in your messages as follows: To put the content on your website use the tag YouTube with brackets before and after the youtube.com URL. Make sure that all content in the URL including the ampersand (&) and after that character is deleted, and place a slash (/) ahead of YouTube to close the command.

So, you'd get plus the URL and then , without any spaces.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work, but when it does, it's nice.

If you run into any other problems, let us know. We have a direct dialog with the programmers and they've been very helpful.

All right, another choice for you:

We are adding more theme options for you to select.

If you go into your User CP, under Your Profile, click on Edit Options.

Under Other Options at the lower right you'll find different themes starting to appear under Board Style.

Feel free to try them on for size. You can always return to the MyBB Default if you don't like the choices that will be presented to you.

Just installed the 'Ubuntu Outdoor' theme - it's very subtle, so why not give it a go...

...any probs with it, just change back to the default theme and post a description of the problem here so I can (hopefully) fix it .

Back