• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

'Food?'

Simonemendez

Skilled Investigator
<META http-equiv=x-dns-prefetch-control content=off><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>A very long while back, I (mistakenly) broached this subject on ATS, and got critisized and 'preached' at, by some Ayan Rand Libertarian survivalist types, so I am (PLEASE) not seeking that here. Thanks. I am not lucky enough to have the plot of acreage with the house and garden and storage facilities for my MREs that I ordered from one of PrisonPlanet's resources. My access to food is these grocers. I try as hard as I can, to not purchase crap. I annoyingly stand in the isle and lift my little glasses up, and try to read all the fine print on a product. But WHY is High Fructose Corn Syrup in EVERYTHING? I'm not kidding, even stuff thats not supposed to be sweetened. Also, Soy, High Soy Protien, Soy Protien, and Soy Oil. I am allergic to that ---gunk---. TRY to find a pizza, beyond a regular successful ---resteraunt---, that does not contain this stuff called 'cheese substitute'. It is basically made out of non-dairy coffee creamer stuff. When it cooks, it does not melt like real motzz, it just turns brown. NOW, the corporation factory saw that people noticed, and sneaksnaked this on the box: "Made ---with--- 100 percent real cheese." Meaning, that there are a couple of shreds in there. So heyyyyy, they ain't Lie'in, whaaaaaat. Long ago, I stopped buying produce. Ever notice how perfect it looks, how all the fruit individuals look the same, perfect round and shiney, but when you bite into them, they are dry and dead?

Is there a conspiracy to starve "the rabble" such as myself, to death, or is it just plain old fashioned greed,.......or both? My list of food I get that I am able to tollerate, has gone wayyyyyyy down. There are many many many items that I can no longer ingest, without becoming sick. I'm NEARLY down to fruit juice and milk.
Here is another question. With all the ---viscious--- battling that has been waged between political parties, over "Health Care Reform", would it not be in ALL of their interests to say, "Hey, if we focus on firmly changing the food INDUSTRY paradigm so that people will be made healthy, not sickened, by it",........well, need I say more?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

Here is another question. With all the ---viscious--- battling that has been waged between political parties, over "Health Care Reform", would it not be in ALL of their interests to say, "Hey, if we focus on firmly changing the food INDUSTRY paradigm so that people will be made healthy, not sickened, by it",........well, need I say more?

I've always believed that if you wish to make changes, it starts at home.

Make yourself healthy. Keep yourself healthy. Don't rely upon "the establishment" or upon social trends. Accept responsibility for your own actions/inactions.

(I'm using the generalized you, not directing this towards you Simone.)

High Fructose Corn Syrup came into the American diet shortly after WW2. It's a very cheap sweetener and flavor enhancer. You can become very use to it too. To experience the difference between foods that have HFCS try Hagan Daz Vanilla Ice Cream (it's free of corn syrup) verses a vanilla ice cream that contains corn syrup. You'll notice the difference. HFCS is also in "diet foods" -- the diet shakes/bars ect. I've read that it may have the effect of increasing ones appetite. If that's the case, it makes sense for the food industry to dose it into just about everything - especially fast-foods.

Who benefits from this -- big agriculture in the U.S. HFCS is easy to produce, cheap to make and can be put into any food (from spaghetti sauces to yogurts to whole wheat breads).

I find that if my family and I eat simpler and read labels, we feel better. I like to use recipes that are old -- coming from my immigrant Armenian and Syrian maternal grandparents especially. Using staples like bulgar wheat and brown rice pilaf; salt-free nuts, free-range beef, eggs, poultry and locally grown vegetables and fruits (including mints that I grow in part of my back yard), homemade yogurt, it is possible to eat more naturally and healthfully - but it is time-consuming.

HFCS is also in "diet foods" -- the diet shakes/bars ect. I've read that it may have the effect of increasing ones appetite. If that's the case, it makes sense for the food industry to dose it into just about everything - especially fast-foods.

Could this-------BE THEE CULPRIT behind the obesity epidemic?
Do you recall this old sitcom called 'Bewitched'? 'Samantha' twichled her nose, and zap,........some instant change in reality happened, that she wanted. HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO: If 'Sam' instantly made **ALL** HFCS GONE from EVERYTHING everywhere, and it was replaced with some kind of natural unprocessed sugar, or something even better, and still natural and unprocessed, in the perfect amount,----------would obesity rapidly go away??? One day I was in the grocerie store, and I picked up a bottle of liquid Corn Syrup, and I was floored, by how high in calories one little spoonfull is.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

If you view old films; I'm talking, pre-1975 and going further back, ............EVERYONE IS SKINNY, even middle-aged people. These can be your family's home films as well. Check it out.

Could this-------BE THEE CULPRIT behind the obesity epidemic?
Do you recall this old sitcom called 'Bewitched'? 'Samantha' twichled her nose, and zap,........some instant change in reality happened, that she wanted. HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO: If 'Sam' instantly made **ALL** HFCS GONE from EVERYTHING everywhere, and it was replaced with some kind of natural unprocessed sugar, or something even better, and still natural and unprocessed, in the perfect amount,----------would obesity rapidly go away??? One day I was in the grocerie store, and I picked up a bottle of liquid Corn Syrup, and I was floored, by how high in calories one little spoonfull is.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

If you view old films; I'm talking, pre-1975 and going further back, ............EVERYONE IS SKINNY, even middle-aged people. These can be your family's home films as well. Check it out.

There's a large number of reasons that obesity is rampant now, a few of the major ones are the basic change in our society from an industrial based society to an information based society, the prevalence of "fast food," the relative ease of availability of food, and even marketing schemes that pound into our heads from an early age "THIS TASTES GREAT!!!"

So our lifestyle changed and instead of going on walks in the evening, we eat our jiffy pop in front of the TV and we gained weight as a result.

Back