• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Flying Saucers and Science

Free episodes:

Michael L.

Coffee swillin' Devil's advocate
Bought it, read it and... well, it is not a bad book but it is not great either. I admit I like Stanton Friedman. He is a fairly rational guy, all things considered, although he can be a bit repetitive. I have read his earlier works except for Captured.

The book is the same way. It is a nice summary of the relationship between the questions posed by UFOs and the answers routinely offered by science with a little bit of how the media treats UFOs thrown in for good measure. However, if you have been around a bit, there really is not anything new. Also, there are a few instances where phrases are repeated... some to the point that I thought one of my kids had moved my bookmark! This, however, is more the fault of the editor assigned to Friedman than the author since he is not a professional writer and probably was trained in oft-repetitive technical writing.

If you are on these forums, you can probably afford to skip this over or grab the library's copy. It would not be a bad book to have laying around to loan people new to the topic or convinced that astronomers are the real experts when it comes to UFOs. All in all, I wish I had spent the money on either Captured, Shoot Them Down (although I can never find it!) or the Birds of Prey DVD release (for the complete run of the Gotham Girls web series which is included as a special feature).

Funny you should mention this book. I have FL & S here ready to read, but I also just received in the mail Rich Dolans UFOs & The National Security State.

Yeah I think I know what Im gonna read first ;)

I am not sure what you mean by that... Is there more than one kind of science?

Seriously, though, the book is concerned with how academics, scientists and, to a lesser extent, the media treat the subject. It does not recount or investigate any sightings or experiences. Friedman instead examines public statements made about Blue Book and the Condon Report and compares them to the facts.

As I said before, nothing in this is particularly new. If you have read about the subject or listened to many interviews, you have heard everything that you will read but this stuff is usually a smaller part of a larger conversation that is focused on a specific incident or topic.

Shoot Them Down was fairly decent. Same problem, though, as Feschino isn't a professional writer and he tends to get repetitive, but there was some info there I was not previously aware of. The title is sort of hyperbole, as well, at least it is when George Noory says it with such gusto!

I have read a couple of Stantons books. He is a down to earth kinda guy. Ive been away from the UFO field for a couple of years so Im glad I stumbled on to this Forum. I get bored with it sometimes and put it away. then I come back and find new stuff.
Stanton answered a couple of my emails a few years ago and I thought that was pretty cool. Ive found that other Ufologists will chat also when they have the time. Im going to look for some of these books that I havent heard of. Thanx
Tom

I am not sure what you mean by that... Is there more than one kind of science?
Yeah, sorry. The book is called Flying Saucers and Science. That makes me think that there is some scientific evidence or hypothesis laid out on the table. In the interview all he seemed to talk about was the media and peoples perception of UFO's. It seemed more of a talk about Flying Saucers and History (not science).

I was just curious if there was some actual science in the book. Like theororizing how ET might get here, planterary and galaxy conditions for life, multiverse or string theory research, photo analysis, trace evidence analysis, etc. It sounds like it may be more of what we have already heard over the years.

Many would argue that such a book would not be science... after all, if you can't test it it is merely a hypothesis. It should probably be called Flying Saucers Vs. Science! And the book you were hoping for could be called The Science of Flying Saucers.

If you are just getting into UFOs or if you are a card carrying skeptic, it is probably a bit more interesting. Otherwise, yeah, it is stuff you have heard Friedman say over the years.

One thing I haven't mentioned, though, that was weird... I read a great deal of things written by people I have familiar with, met or even know fairly well. I often, for example, proofread or edit material for friends. For the first time that I can recall, as I read I kind of heard the author's voice in my head! That was odd... But I do like listening to Mr. Friedman.

Back