• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Flat Earth: What flying an aircraft would be like

Squirrel

Paranormal Maven
Prompted by recent flat Earth discussion
on various radio shows, as a pilot myself,
I wondered how it would be to fly an
aircraft above a disk-shaped planet.

As can be seen in the illustration posted
below, gravity TILTS as one moves away
from the center, and near the "rim" (aka
the South Pole) gravity is tilted rather
steeply.

(That image is oversimplified; actually
the tilt would be less than shown, but
still quite noticeable.)

What does this mean for a pilot who
wants to fly "straight and level?"

It means the aircraft must be kept in a
BANK (lateral tilt) so the wings are at
right angles to the tilted gravity.

This would NOT require holding or
trimming aileron pressure (lateral
pressure on the stick or yoke.)

The aircraft, when trimmed properly
neutral ("centered needle and ball"
for pilots,) would naturally fly in a
banked position without any tendency
to slip or turn.

But the sight picture from inside the
aircraft would sure look weird!

This is yet another item of proof that
Earth is NOT a disk-shaped flat planet.

-- Squirrel (see image below)

gravity-on-flat-earth.jpg

Flat earthers cannot believe in gravity. The problem is that gravity is not a matter of faith.
I see some discussion of the odd gravity situation on their flat Earthers' forum, but never on any of the radio shows where the flat Earth hypothesis is discussed.

As an aside, the airplane piloting example is actually more complicated.

The need to fly in a banked attitude applies when the heading is east or west.

If flying north or south, the nose or pitch attitude would be either above or below the horizon, so the fuselage is pointed at right angles to the tilted gravity direction for "straight and level" flight. The bank angle would be zero degrees, i.e. the wings would be parallel with the ground.

When flying at headings between due north/south and due east/west, the pilot would have to trim for both an unusual pitch attitude and unusual bank angle.

The normal needle-and-ball instrument should make that complex-sounding maneuver fairly simple. The gyro horizon, I'm not sure how that would work. A runway on the ground would be at some angle to vertical, and might result in a non-usable gyro horizon.

-- Squirrel

Last edited:
I see some discussion of the odd gravity situation on their flat Earthers' forum, but never on any of the radio shows where the flat Earth hypothesis is discussed.

As an aside, the airplane piloting example is actually more complicated.

The need to fly in a banked attitude applies when the heading is east or west.

If flying north or south, the nose or pitch attitude would be either above or below the horizon, so the fuselage is pointed at right angles to the tilted gravity direction for "straight and level" flight. The bank angle would be zero degrees, i.e. the wings would be parallel with the ground.

When flying at headings between due north/south and due east/west, the pilot would have to trim for both an unusual pitch attitude and unusual bank angle.

The normal needle-and-ball instrument should make that complex-sounding maneuver fairly simple. The gyro horizon, I'm not sure how that would work. A runway on the ground would be at some angle to vertical, and probably would result in a non-usable gyro horizon.

-- Squirrel

I crossed paths with a Flat Earther at the grocery store who posed one of the Flat Earth questions that in his mind proves a geocentric model and a flat Earth, I told him that I took an astronomy course and answered his question with an explanation — but as those who are highly invested in their positions tend to do, he just hand waved it and wandered off looking annoyed, just like those who still believe the phrase "safe & effective".

I crossed paths with a Flat Earther at the grocery store who posed one of the Flat Earth questions that in his mind proves a geocentric model and a flat Earth, I told him that I took an astronomy course and answered his question with an explanation — but as those who are highly invested in their positions tend to do, he just hand waved it and wandered off looking annoyed, just like those who still believe the phrase "safe & effective".
One of my engineering professors used to say, "You can't change people, you can only grow new ones."

-- Squirrel

There are actually more oddities involved in flying an airplane above a disk-shaped planet, with its tilted gravity directions.

One is atmospheric pressure, and of course, that will make altimeters read in highly unusual ways.

The tilted gravity will make the atmosphere coalesce into a large flattened "half ball" with the highest pressure (at the center of the "ball") at the North Pole, and very little atmosphere at the "South" Pole (the outer rim.)

This means that if you fly a constant altimeter reading starting somewhere near the North Pole, and head out flying south towards the rim, you will actually gradually lose altitude and will very likely contact the surface before you get to the south rim.

A major headache for both pilots and air traffic controllers.

-- Squirrel

There are actually more oddities involved in flying an airplane above a disk-shaped planet, with its tilted gravity directions.

One is atmospheric pressure, and of course, that will make altimeters read in highly unusual ways.

The tilted gravity will make the atmosphere coalesce into a large flattened "half ball" with the highest pressure (at the center of the "ball") at the North Pole, and very little atmosphere at the "South" Pole (the outer rim.)

This means that if you fly a constant altimeter reading starting somewhere near the North Pole, and head out flying south towards the rim, you will actually gradually lose altitude and will very likely contact the surface before you get to the south rim.

-- Squirrel
Interesting way of looking at the issue 😎

-- Squirrel
A little more detail on northerly or southerly flight:

If flying north, and the pilot wants to maintain a fixed true height above ground (which is NOT a fixed altimeter reading,) the static air pressure (standard) altimeter would show DESCENT. Going south, the air pressure operated altimeter would show ASCENT.

(A radar altimeter would show true height above ground.)

Furthermore, less power would be required for northerly flight because due to the tilted gravity, the aircraft would actually be descending in relation to gravity. Aircraft occupants would actually feel like they were descending, and a cup of drink sitting on a "level" table would show the gravity tilting. (Southerly would be opposite.)

-- Squirrel

Yes, but these people don't believe in gravity. So altimeter shows altitude. Maybe Jesus etc keeps planes up.
I've often wondered if folks who put huge amounts of energy into promoting "Flat Earth" are doing it for some odd purpose, like just having a good laugh.

-- Squirrel

I heard a local political party (a small one) was having discussion whether flat earth or hollow earth is the correct one. Anything but the establishment!

I was wondering if they believe in lizard people in the place of powers as well...

Back