• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

First Personal Experience, Alternate Reality?

Giacomo9979

Paranormal Novice
I was either 13 or 14 years old that summer night a friend and I slept outside behind my parents house. I would sleep outside as often as I could to watch the stars. I still do. I think it was 1962. We still had relatively dark skies back then in upstate NY. It was a moonless night. After falling asleep my friend started shaking me awake sometime during the middle of the night. He wasn’t saying anything, he was frantically pointing up to the South Western sky. I looked up and coming from over the tree tops was this, well I didn’t know what it was. I’ve posted a drawing of it. I estimate it spanned 3.0 degrees in the sky. The tail or propulsion was a little less wide than I have in the drawing I posted. It definitely was in the atmosphere. If I had to guess, perhaps as low as 15,000 feet to as high as 40,000 feet. I just don’t know. If it were low, it was slower than an aircraft. It took perhaps 20 to 25 minutes to traverse the sky to the horizon from the tree tops.

It appeared to be a sphere with electrical sparks emanating from all around it with a electrical sparking propulsion system. I could see faint colors of red and blue within the white sparking. We could see details very clearly. Here is the curious part. My Mother always left the back door unlocked. It was a warm first week in September. My Father insisted all the windows be left open. I ran down to the house only to find the back door was locked. I wanted the family to see this. Even the screen door was locked. That had never happened before. I ran to the back garage door which was broken and could be opened but that door was shut and locked too. I ran to the front, the overhead garage door was locked. At this point I must tell you I could never as a teenager ever sneak into the house because my Mother would always wake up. My Mother was such a light sleeper even the slightest noise from the other end of the house would wake her up. I swear as a teenager no matter how quiet I was my Mother always woke up. I couldn’t get away with anything. I started beating on the front door. No response. Ringing the door bell did not stir either my parents or my three siblings. Then I noticed all the windows were shut. My Father would have been angry. That made no sense. It was a very warm night. I started beating on my Mother’s window not four feet from her bed. Still no one responded.

I ran to the neighbors next door and encountered the exact same thing. All the windows were shut. No one responded to the door bell ringing or knocking. Then I became aware how still everything was. Sure it was in the middle of the night but the county highway was only a few blocks away. No cars. No sounds. It cruised over a city of 200,000 and would go directly over the airport. I would later find no reports of any kind. I just stood there looking up as it was going over my zenith. I couldn’t help but notice how pretty it was. Strange sense, this notion came over me. Were they or whatever it was, aware of me? It appeared to be a controlled craft. As it pasted my zenith I didn’t want it to leave. I met up with my friend still in the same place on the hill in the back yard. We kept backing up higher up the hill to see it eventually disappear over the horizon perhaps some 50 to 60 miles away.

That was Saturday night. Monday morning both my friend and I were on the school bus. I started telling other kids what my friend and I saw. My friend came over to me and sternly said to me in my ear, we will not talk about this and to never mention his name. My friend was two years older and he was right. We would have been ridiculed. My friend was quite shaken up from that experience. For several weeks he would ask me if I had told anyone. I hadn’t. We would periodically talk about it in private all through High School.

Forty years later I tracked my friend down by phone. I was curious if he had ever thought about that night in 1962. We talked for a while then I asked him. He did not remember anything. Whoa I thought. He had no recollection of it. In 2004 I got curious again and tracked it's path with a string on a large globe. I new exactly where we were and where it disappeared over the horizon. It was a crude method. Back tracking it’s path brought me to where the southern magnetic pole was in 1962. Not a far stretch to connect electrical with magnetic. I have wondered if that object was generating an electromagnetic field and was effecting the areas it flew over? If it was as electrical as I perceived it then how could it not? Effecting people, the environment or even reality. I never found anything similar to it except possibly in an old religious painting.

I have had a number of years to think about this experience. I still have no idea what I had witnessed. Was this from off world? A parallel world? I have even considered an inner world origin. An alternate reality? Which I tend to believe. Within two years of that night I started meditating and still do to this day.

That was my first experience.

Attachments

• IMG_9669.JPG
    IMG_9669.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Excellent! Loved it. More when you can please!

Much of what you describe is classic 'Oz - Factor' stuff.

The eerie silence, no-one else around and an inability to raise anyone to join you. The never-locked but locked doors - if anyone is unsure what the Oz-factor is, it's a term coined by the British paranormal researcher/author of very high standing, Jenny Randles.

And what the term refers to is situations like these in which people experience a high-strange event that was preceded by a metaphorical journey 'into' Oz, or suchlike, and always normal sounds disappear and it seems one is experiencing almost an event that takes place outside of normal time or space. Usually normality returns soon after the end of the strange event.

I was either 13 or 14 years old that summer night a friend and I slept outside behind my parents house ... That was my first experience.

What did your parents have to say about your experience and the house being all locked up? Do you think your friend really had no recollection, or has just carried the fear of telling people with him into adulthood?

Hi Usual

Thank you for your response.

I think my Mother said something, "that's nice". Right over everyone. It wasn't in their comprehension with no disrespect in saying that.
I really did not try to tell my family after that.

Everything was 'normal' the next day. As far as my friend 40 years later? When people can not accept certain experiences we tend to push them out of
our memory. We disassociate. I spent the rest of my life pursuing metaphysics, mysticism. I studied all religions. UFO's, the sciences.

All the doors being locked and no one responding. Here is my summary to that. There wasn't anyone in the house. Not the house I was knocking on.

That wasn't the last time for me either. I believe what I originally experienced is the bases for all abductions and many if not all encounters
as well as the lack of encounters.

Hi Usual

Thank you for your response.

I think my Mother said something, "that's nice". Right over everyone. It wasn't in their comprehension with no disrespect in saying that.

Everything was 'normal' the next day. As far as my friend 40 years later? When people can not accept certain experiences we tend to push them out of
our memory. We disassociate. I spent the rest of my life pursuing metaphysics, mysticism. I studied all religions. UFO's, the sciences.

All the doors being locked and no one responding. Here is my summary to that. There wasn't anyone in the house. Not the house I was knocking on.

That wasn't the last time for me either. I believe what I originally experienced is the bases for all abductions and many if not all encounters

Very interesting. BTW I know you're new here, so a helpful tip is that when you are replying to someone, use the "Reply" link on the lower right so that the person will get a notification that they have a message, otherwise they may not be aware that you responded to them.

I'd like to pick-up on this some more, but the pressures of the season are heavy right now, so please don't hesitate to send me a reminder in a private conversation, or to re-quote one of my posts to get my attention. The idea that nobody was home made a dramatic impact on me because the natural assumption is that perhaps they were abducted or sedated somehow during your experience, which means that they may be experiencers too.

Very interesting. BTW I know you're new here, so a helpful tip is that when you are replying to someone, use the "Reply" link on the lower right so that the person will get a notification that they have a message, otherwise they may not be aware that you responded to them.

I'd like to pick-up on this some more, but the pressures of the season are heavy right now, so please don't hesitate to send me a reminder in a private conversation, or to re-quote one of my posts to get my attention. The idea that nobody was home made a dramatic impact on me because the natural assumption is that perhaps they were abducted or sedated somehow during your experience, which means that they may be experiencers too.

Randall - do you think it could be more likely that the other family members inside were 'locked out' of the experience, when viewed through an 'Oz Factor' lens? Often experiencers of abduction or ghosts etc, claim that no matter what they did, they could not rouse a sleeping partner etc. It's like people are either included in the experience or completely prevented from even knowing something is going on, either because they are artificially unconscious or physically excluded from where the high-strangeness is occurring?

I think every account I've read of the Oz Factor has these aspects when applicable.

Randall - do you think it could be more likely that the other family members inside were 'locked out' of the experience, when viewed through an 'Oz Factor' lens? Often experiencers of abduction or ghosts etc, claim that no matter what they did, they could not rouse a sleeping partner etc. It's like people are either included in the experience or completely prevented from even knowing something is going on, either because they are artificially unconscious or physically excluded from where the high-strangeness is occurring?

I think every account I've read of the Oz Factor has these aspects when applicable.
Yes. If I recall correctly, Chris experienced much the same sort of effect. So that could definitely be a factor. But if we try to think about it rationally, removing the mysticism associated with the word "Oz", perhaps this feeling that literally nobody was home might have actually been the case, and the intuition about it was true. The odd reaction of the parents might even fit in with that, as if they'd been conditioned to avoid the subject. We hear about that sort of thing with experiencers.

So in the title of the thread you describe the experience as an alternate reality and then later, with some conviction, that this format of experience is the basis for abductions and close encounters. And you also allude to this being only one example of this kind of experience in your life. Is it possible for you to elaborate on these three points:

How do you think it was that reality was altered? Was reality changed for you alone? How about your friend....did they hear all your knocking about?

Do you have an idea about describing how this shift in reality is the basis of close encounter events? Is there a theory of sorts you've developed.

Are you willing to share similar experiences you've had since?

Thank you for sharing this very wonderful & weird experience in such fine detail. You made it very vivid in your narration. It was a pleasure to read.

So in the title of the thread you describe the experience as an alternate reality and then later, with some conviction, that this format of experience is the basis for abductions and close encounters. And you also allude to this being only one example of this kind of experience in your life. Is it possible for you to elaborate on these three points:

How do you think it was that reality was altered? Was reality changed for you alone? How about your friend....did they hear all your knocking about?

Do you have an idea about describing how this shift in reality is the basis of close encounter events? Is there a theory of sorts you've developed.

Are you willing to share similar experiences you've had since?

Thank you for sharing this very wonderful & weird experience in such fine detail. You made it very vivid in your narration. It was a pleasure to read.

Burnt State,

Thank you for your words Burnt State. I appreciate it a great deal.

One of the reasons why I published my experience was to see if anyone else out in the world has had a similar experience. In the five decades plus since that experience I have only shared the experience in it's entirety maybe with three other people, maybe. The other reason was to shakeup my subconscious. Telling my subconscious it is my intention to understand that event. It's stating, enough is enough I need answers. Writing also helps. Sharing with people with open minds with intelligent questions helps. In the past two days I have been writing a reply to your questions. I am going to post it tomorrow. I want the words correct. If there is anything I have learned in life is, the world is much more than what it appears to be.

Burnt State,

Thank you for your words Burnt State. I appreciate it a great deal.

If there is anything I have learned in life is, the world is much more than what it appears to be.
you are more than welcome. i entirely understand the need to tell the tale, for our lives are a series of stories. the ones that shake us clamor for the telling. your story is quite fascinating.

and the world is indeed much more than it appears to be, easily much more than we can begin to imagine or even have the capacity to see properly. for what humans see is limited by how much we are able to see.

i am very much looking forward to reading your words.

That's quite an experience Giacomo. Thanks for sharing it.

You estimated the object's apparent size at 3 degrees, which evidently is about six times the apparent diameter of a full moon. THAT, would be a very impressive sight indeed.

I'm just curious if the object seemed extremely bright to you, like as bright or brighter than a full moon, or was it less bright than that?

I wondered, if you kept tracing out the trajectory of the object, where would it have gone? Over the arctic? Over the North Atlantic? Over Europe? USSR?

I also wondered if you have looked in Blue Book to see if any other reports were made around the same time-frame and location as your experience.

In 2004 I got curious again and tracked it's path with a string on a large globe. I new exactly where we were and where it disappeared over the horizon. It was a crude method. Back tracking it’s path brought me to where the southern magnetic pole was in 1962. Not a far stretch to connect electrical with magnetic. I have wondered if that object was generating an electromagnetic field and was effecting the areas it flew over? If it was as electrical as I perceived it then how could it not? Effecting people, the environment or even reality. I never found anything similar to it except possibly in an old religious painting.

For the sake of additional information for comparison on the time-frame of your report, here is a link to a NASA chronology of what was going on in 1962. I don't think anything they report is going to be the cause of the unusual experiences you described with your family and friend. Still, there are a few interesting things happening just before Sept and during Sept 1962. In early July the US detonated a megaton device in space whose EMP pulse knocked out streetlights in Hawaii, and which generated a new artificial radiation belt above earth that crippled other satellites. It seems possible to me that very large clouds of ionized gas around an orbiting object might look lower in the atmosphere than they actually are. But that is only speculation on my part. Again, there'd be no way to connect such a prosaic event to your unusual experiences.

(Just as a "by the way," the NASA chronology says a camera able to film a million frames a second was developed in 1962. Another "by the way" is the report in 1962 of fire in a simulated space cabin with two occupants with a 100 percent oxygen atmosphere, and this occurred around five years before Apollo 1.)

Last edited by a moderator:
William Strathmann,

I appreciate the questions. It was a minimum of three degrees. A Handy Guide to Measuring the Sky
Sharp edges against a moonless clear night sky. It was very vivid. I could make out the electrical sparking clearly. I did inquire with newspapers, airports, astronomical events for week afters. If it continued it's trajectory it would have gone over Quebec, Coast of Labrador and Greenland. Since I originally posted the experience using newspaper archives online and Stellarium I have determined the exact date. Between 12:00 Midnight to 2:00 AM September 3rd, 1962. I have searched everything for years. The only thing I have not done is use hypnosis.

It was most definitely a controlled vehicle. Electrical with electrical propulsion.

1962 was a heavy year. Cuban missile crises the following month. It would not be for decades until we learned the world came within a hair breath
of total nuclear exchange, twice.

My suspicion what happened that night in 1962 was both my friend and I were in a hypnagogia state. Not sleeping but in a fully walking awake state. I suspect we were in both the physical and astral planes at the same time. The threshold of consciousness could have brought us to the in between realm or state. The more I contemplate this the more certain I become. It would explain why everything was physically intact yet things were different as in all the windows and doors being closed and locked. Why no one responded and even the entire environment felt void of any activity. Why everything appeared normal yet so strangely quiet and still. The “Oz” effect? That vehicle being so electrical might have had an effect on us. Humans can be called an electrical chemical phenomenon. We have magnetite in our brain with electrical current having both a magnetic and an electromagnetic field.

Last edited:
Back