• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

First Ever Signal That Repeats Every 16 Days

Another radio burst mystery from much closer stars: Astronomers Detect Strange Signals from Red Dwarf Star

I wonder if the two phenomena could be related? For example, some sort of enormous solar storm or sunspot analogous to Jupiter's red spot that spews out radio signals in our direction every time the star rotates the storm so that it faces our direction. At first this theory wouldn't seem to explain the distant ones because I doubt the energy required would be sufficient, even for storms the size of a hundred Earths, but then again, I'm no astrophysicist. Someone would have to run the numbers, but cool main sequence stars like the one in the article tend to have rotational periods within the range for a 16 day FSB cycle. So if the power output can be explained, then perhaps there's something to explore.

My other thought is that it's a type of binary star. Maybe something like these: Double-star systems cycle between big and small blasts

Another radio burst mystery from much closer stars: Astronomers Detect Strange Signals from Red Dwarf Star

I wonder if the two phenomena could be related? For example, some sort of enormous solar storm or sunspot analogous to Jupiter's red spot that spews out radio signals in our direction every time the star rotates the storm so that it faces our direction. At first this theory wouldn't seem to explain the distant ones because I doubt the energy required would be sufficient, even for storms the size of a hundred Earths, but then again, I'm no astrophysicist. Someone would have to run the numbers, but cool main sequence stars like the one in the article tend to have rotational periods within the range for a 16 day FSB cycle. So if the power output can be explained, then perhaps there's something to explore.

My other thought is that it's a type of binary star. Maybe something like these: Double-star systems cycle between big and small blasts

Interesting theory is that of a neutron type star in an elliptical orbit with another star, the idea is that due to the orbital length and oscillation we get these burst from time to time.... interesting but I think as Anton points out in the video this is still not a fully satisfactory theory.

Another cool idea is that of EM drives activating, but owing to the irregularity of the signals (not being uniform) this can be very likely ruled out and the FRB's are (and I agree myself) a natural phenomenon.

Back