• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

First artificial life on Earth...

Tony2013

Skilled Investigator
Now this is interesting...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct/06/genetics.climatechange

Don't know if this already got posted, but if not... :eek:

I was particularily struck by this paragraph:

Mr Venter believes designer genomes have enormous positive potential if properly regulated. In the long-term, he hopes they could lead to alternative energy sources previously unthinkable. Bacteria could be created, he speculates, that could help mop up excessive carbon dioxide, thus contributing to the solution to global warming, or produce fuels such as butane or propane made entirely from sugar.

Discuss...

Maybe I'm just a pessimist but every time I read something involving a genetic experiment the words "gone horribly wrong!" come to mind...

CapnG said:
Maybe I'm just a pessimist but every time I read something involving a genetic experiment the words "gone horribly wrong!" come to mind...

Too many drive-in, B-movies?

CapnG said:
Tony2013 said:
Too many drive-in, B-movies?

Probably... that or humanity's track record.

Aside: Drive-ins? Do people still go to those?

Sadly, no. There was a drive-in in Cincinnati called "Oakley Drive-In" when I lived there that was still operating. The charge was $6 per person, and you always got a double-feature, plus they always showed the pre-movie reels from the 70s and 80s with the corny animation ads for the concession stand. They didn't have the window-speaker, but broadcast the sound through a short-range FM station. The picture was remarkably good, when people weren't walking in front of the projector. You had to endure some nepharious peoples from time to time. The ground was mostly loose rock, and because the owners couldn't afford to sink any money into it, the pavement was shot. So you'd get the inevitable idiot tossing small rocks into the crowd from somewhere. The last movies I saw there was "War of the Worlds" and "Batman Begins." It was the last season there, and shortly after they closed it was all torn down for a *sigh* strip-mall. I'm beginning to understand what my parents say when they talk about America losing its character and flavor.

Back