• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Facebook and Myspace

Simonemendez

Skilled Investigator
Hi guys. About a year ago, I decided to (reluctantly) put myself into 'Facebook'. But I felt creeped out by it, so about only a day later, I cancelled out. I am therefore, NOT*****ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE. I saw, however, to my surprise, a bunch of people on there with my exact name, including a young man, a 14 yr-old girl, an artist in New York, etc etc. I am NONE of those, for sure. Well, my e-mail address to this day, keeps getting messages from people who I know and don't, inviting me to friend them, be their friend.
Will this go on forever? Also, I heard (cannot recollect where) sometime ago, a brief mention of.......a legend? A truth? That the CIA invented facebook and monitors it. THANKS.

Hi guys. About a year ago, I decided to (reluctantly) put myself into 'Facebook'. But I felt creeped out by it, so about only a day later, I cancelled out. I am therefore, NOT*****ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE. I saw, however, to my surprise, a bunch of people on there with my exact name, including a young man, a 14 yr-old girl, an artist in New York, etc etc. I am NONE of those, for sure. Well, my e-mail address to this day, keeps getting messages from people who I know and don't, inviting me to friend them, be their friend.
Will this go on forever? Also, I heard (cannot recollect where) sometime ago, a brief mention of.......a legend? A truth? That the CIA invented facebook and monitors it. THANKS.

Hi Simone.

Here's a link to a youtube video showing how Facebook is connected to the CIA:

Quite interesting ... hmmm??

Anyway ... I joined Facebook a while back because I wanted to read an article that was on someones account or something. Of course, I didn't have to in the end ... and really didn't want to join Facebook in the beginning ... social networking stuff is for silly kids in my opinion ... not my scene daddio.

Anyhow I have a seperate hotmail email account which I use for things such as this. Therefore if any crap is going to come my way it all goes into that account and it doesn't get into all my other proper emails as it were. Since I joined Facebook I got a lot of crap ... don't know why really and have decided to shut my second hotmail account down since it was annoying the heck out of me. If I need another one I can always start another one again under a different name or whatever.

Unfortunately I don't know if it will continue in your case. If its a hotmail account you are using you can always just move all the junk into the junk folder and delete it all from there. Junk mail seems to be one of those things you can't do a lot about unfortunately :cool:

Have you read this excellent article on Brainsturbator?
http://www.brainsturbator.com/articles/facebook_the_cia_and_you/

It seems to be pretty much what you're looking for: A nice examination of where Facebook really came from (data theft at Harvard, founder admits it...but not quite a "CIA front").

A quote from the article:
"Small quibbles aside, the basic concept here is fundamentally sound: Facebook, just like MySpace and every single other large-scale interactive website in existence, is designed to collect demographic data about the people who use it." (Emphasis original author, not mine.)

Feel free to do some research to back this up (or refute it). I used to really enjoy the Brainsturbator site, but it seems to be no longer updated. The man that runs it is focusing on other things now...

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
AJ

I'm too much of an individual and contrarian to be interested in social networking sites. I just don't get them ... And if I did why on earth would I want to keep track of people I know when there is a telephone I can use ... or I see them every day or fairly regularly ... And anyway I'm not especially fond of humans any way. Strange bloody species. Always buying Radiohead albums and watching the Simpsons ... urghh ... yuck :D

[ps there is a worse one than The Simpsons, pop pickers ... actually there is "King of the Hill" which has to be the MOST boring and unfunny cartoon ever in the universe ... but anyway there is a worse one made here in New Zealand. Its called Bro' Town. Just be grateful that you'll never see it. Believe me, its best you don't. Its like ramming sharp sticks up your nose so far that they go into your brain. It is not medically possible to watch more than a couple of seconds of this horrific drivel before you literally want to put your head in a mincer. So please dear viewer do not check it out on youtube or whatever ... please don't ... ahhh noo I can hear the mincer ... noooooooooooo :D]

{pps yes its been a slow day :D}

So the CIA "invented" Facebook with the sole purpose of secretly collecting information on innocent dumb humans. Well, then I should thank the CIA for having a job, since I'm a social media analyst and copywriter - and Facebook campaigns are a large part of my work.

Wait. That makes me a disinfornation agent, doesn't it? Oh no, I'm being USED! Damn you, CIA!

:D

Who are you "quoting" when you say "invented"? I only said I heard this somewhere, (and I wondered is it an urban legend or what? But it's NO BIGGIE. Is it.)

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Say Schuler, since you are a "social media analyst", is there such thing as a chat forum where people are nice and sensitive to each other? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Who are you "quoting" when you say "invented"? I only said I heard this somewhere, (and I wondered is it an urban legend or what?

So you're answering your own question. I was quoting you as you quote someone, "somewhere". :)

Say Schuler, since you are a "social media analyst", is there such thing as a chat forum where people are nice and sensitive to each other? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I would recommend the Paracast Forums. Nice people there. I mean, here. ;)

Wellllllll,,,,, Oooooookay then.

guilty-dog.jpg

Well thats at least one thing we have in common then Sir Simone :D ... now if I can persuade you that Mike Myers IS The Antichrist, and that Austin Powers is the spawn of Beelezebub, and that anyone quoting or posting pictures of said iniquitous monster should be hurled or jettisoned into the firey pits of Hades, then ... and only then ... will we get on a bit better :D.

{Oh and don't even get me started on Wayne's World ... talk about stealing ideas from Bill and Ted ... sheesh :p}

[pppps Mike Myers used to be on childrens tv in the UK in the early 80s. He was soooo good that they had to put him on very very early in the morning so that people didn't throw up over their Rice Krispies ... true fact :D}

Ohhh my Gawwwd, I ***WORSHIP*** the Wayne's World genre. Sorry about that!

(Nooooooot!) (Nnnnnuhuhuhuhu......)

I'M NOT WORTHY, I'M NOT WORTHY!!!
Bonus! Excellent!

I still don't get how Mike Myers became a much greater success than Dana Carvey! Carvey was much more funny than Myers on Saturday Night Live, back in the day! Oh well......:D

Ohhh my Gawwwd, I ***WORSHIP*** the Wayne's World genre. Sorry about that!

(Nooooooot!) (Nnnnnuhuhuhuhu......)

I'M NOT WORTHY, I'M NOT WORTHY!!!
Bonus! Excellent!

I remain truly baffled :D

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

I still don't get how Mike Myers became a much greater success than Dana Carvey! Carvey was much more funny than Myers on Saturday Night Live, back in the day! Oh well......

Yeah ... exactly ... (actually being British I've never seen SNL ... but I have to grab hold of any criticism of Myers no matter how tenuous and run with it :D) ... and where is Dana Carvey today??? Probably still trying to get that terrible wig off ...

["hey Dana ... which isn't a girls name of course ... I want you to wear this wig made out of industrial strength straw and I want you just to sit or stand there looking vaguely puzzled as I gurn at the camera ... and although I'll be incredibly funny ;) you'll still be funnier no matter what I do ... sound good????" :D]

Back