• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Experience from my childhood, wake and shake

Free episodes:

methshin

Japans Underground Robot Army
I posted this in another thread, the one related to sound based phenomenon. I felt it related to that experience in a way, but may relate to other experiences people have had.

I was wary of posting this story for a while, but figured it is better to share this experience than keep it bottled in.

This happened probably in 1994 or 1995, I was between 9 and 11.

When I was going to bed I decided I wanted to make a little bit of a fort to sleep in for the night. I had laid down my two pillows on my bed and slept on those two, a testament to how old I was as I could lay down on both my pillows without my legs sticking out. I then wrapped my blanket around me so I was like a human and pillow burrito.

In the middle of the night (I didn't have a clock in my room, so I can't say what time for sure, but I'm sure it was after midnight) I heard an incredible bang, similar to a gunshot (which at this point in my life, I had not heard before, I heard my first gunshot at 13). I woke up right away, sat up, and then covered myself with my blanket, holding it tight and closing my eyes with force. A few seconds later, I felt a set of strong hands grab me by the right shoulder (I was laying on my left hand side) and rock me back and forth violently. It lasted for what seemed to be ten seconds and stopped. My door did not open or close (it made noise when it opened so I'd be able to tell) and there was no further noise or anything, everything just stopped. I laid awake for what seemed to be minutes before poking my head out of my blanket to see what was going on. Everything was normal.

I've only told this story to one of my friends and I never even mentioned it to my parents after it happened. Some might think it could have been a nightmare, but I clearly remember being wide awake and truly terrified. By far the scariest moment of my life. I still live in the same house with my parents and nothing remotely close to this has ever happened since.

Interesting story methshin and I can see why you chose your avatar :) Do you have any brothers or sisters who could have been hiding in the room as a prank? Another possiblilty I thought of was an earth tremor perhaps which made the noise which awoke you and then shook you?

Interesting story methshin and I can see why you chose your avatar :) Do you have any brothers or sisters who could have been hiding in the room as a prank? Another possiblilty I thought of was an earth tremor perhaps which made the noise which awoke you and then shook you?

I'm an only child, so that rules out siblings. As for earth tremors, well, I live very far away from any tectonic plates or anything of the sort. The extent of the earthquakes we get here are rarely felt to ANY extent, let alone tossing me around like a rag doll while not knocking any of my action figures off of the shelves.

Why do you think I chose my avatar?

I'm an only child, so that rules out siblings. As for earth tremors, well, I live very far away from any tectonic plates or anything of the sort. The extent of the earthquakes we get here are rarely felt to ANY extent, let alone tossing me around like a rag doll while not knocking any of my action figures off of the shelves.

Why do you think I chose my avatar?

Regarding your avatar it just occured to me that it is a mysterious hand poised to grab (as in your story).

Back