• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Engage!

The future of the film series, after three episodes and so-so box office receipts for "Star Trek Beyond," the early promise of a fourth film has yet to be realized, and it is still listed in pre-production as "Untitled Star Trek Sequel." Meantime, star Chris Pine is busy doing other stuff, including a sequel to "Wonder Woman."

If there is no fourth film, you'll know the public's response was responsible.

As to the CBS All Access series, "Star Trek: Discovery" is probably the main reason people subscribe to the service. Other than a "Good Wife" spinoff, there's not much over there. If subscriptions falter, Star Trek is history.

Gene, what was your opinion of Discovery?

I liked it, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes in season 2. I didn't like the CBS All Access deal, but $5/month wasn't bad.

Last edited:
Gene, what was your opinion of Discovery?

I liked it, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes in season 2. I didn't like the CBS All Access deal, but $5/month wasn't bad.
Since it is on a subscription basis, on CBS All Access, I have stayed away. I fail to see the value in subscribing to a service for a single show (or two with the new one just announced).

I did see the one that appeared on the regular CBS network, the plot, and I had mixed feelings about it.

I adore everything about Sir Patrick Stewart. He was a great captain of the Enterprise. I'm not sure I'm thrilled about another Star Trek movie if it follows the altered timeline. However, I would love seeing Patrick Steward play Jean-Luc Picard again.

I adore everything about Sir Patrick Stewart. He was a great captain of the Enterprise. I'm not sure I'm thrilled about another Star Trek movie if it follows the altered timeline. However, I would love seeing Patrick Steward play Jean-Luc Picard again.
Coincidentally, I've been enjoying some of the TNG episodes I have on DVD courtesy of a gift from my son some years ago. Initially I was anti-TNG and felt they'd taken the series in totally the wrong direction. But Stewart's acting and some decent writing slowly changed my impression of the show. My only concern now is whether or not Patrick's return would be a throwback or an evolution.

I really think Star Trek needs something besides what they've done to date, Something where the cannon remains intact, and everything fits together with some well thought out writing. This could be done if they went far into the future instead of backward. I'd like to see it begin in the 26th century when the Sphere Builder war begins. Sphere-Builder

Last edited:
Back