• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Earth With Rings

skunkape

Paranormal Maven
I thought this was cool...various views of different parts of the world on an Earth with rings like Saturn. Now I can see the bright side of a catastrophic meteor impact.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UT2sQ7KIQ-E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UT2sQ7KIQ-E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Man that would be weird if when the rings cast a very tight shadow, to be within the shadow seeing daylight north and south of your position. I would guess the dark area would be pretty dark considering the thickness of the rings.

Just say for instance you were the pilot of a plane, flying north to south and you could see another plane coming at you south to north, but still far enough south to be in daylight. How weird would it be to see it's approach as it enters the shadow, especially with his lights off :eek: :D

Great video skunkape,

Thanks,

Mark

I like!

What would need to happen for the earth to get rings like that and would we all die before we could appreciate it?
I believe if a big comet or meteor pulverized the Moon we could get rings. I'm sure that would make things interesting here on the ground.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I believe if a big comet or meteor pulverized the Moon we could get rings. I'm sure that would make things interesting here on the ground.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

So if that did happen we would lose the moon and ocean tides but we would get some very nice rings.

I'd go for the rings but then the moon probably does alot more than i give it credit for?:)

Back