• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Earth Day 2011

P

pixelsmith

I am celebrating Earth Day today by embracing Climate Change. Without Climate Change we would not have Polar Bears... think about it.

Humans are a part of Nature, be proud of your carbon footprint.

I'm driving to and from work. Gonna bar b q and watch NAASCAR on the weekend. :)
Happy Oith Day!

Good for you, be proud to be a Human!

hint - Use real charcoal and no lighter fluid for that BBQ, it tastes better.

I'm going to celebrate by watching the old John Carpenter film "They Live" and drinking some cool vodka tonics.

Didn’t you mean to say,
I am celebrating Earth Day today by embracing Climate Change. Without Climate Change we would not have “had” Polar Bears... think about it.

Today for Earth Day 2011, I am going to read, and embrace Mr. Stanton Freidman’s latest trimuph, then start a BBQ with some gulf coast water, and have some of those tasty Japanese prawns, topped off with a iodine sorbet.
I am celebrating Earth Day today by embracing Climate Change. Without Climate Change we would not have Polar Bears... think about it.

Humans are a part of Nature, be proud of your carbon footprint.

Didn’t you mean to say,
I am celebrating Earth Day today by embracing Climate Change. Without Climate Change we would not have “had” Polar Bears... think about it.

Today for Earth Day 2011, I am going to read, and embrace Mr. Stanton Freidman’s latest trimuph, then start a BBQ with some golf gulf coast water, and have some of those tasty Japanese prawns, topped off with a iodine sorbet.

Had? Polar Bears are thriving dude. Thanks to climate change and an evolutionary response to it... these once brown colored bears are now white and called Polar Bears. Long live climate change for we would not be alive without it. Think about it.

Actually a Polar Bear’s hair is not white and just appears that way. Each hair shaft is pigment free with a hollow core which scatters, and reflects visible light. But anyway dude, what I’m talking about are the bears which are floating on the ice cubes in the Pacific.

Actually a Polar Bear’s hair is not white and just appears that way. Each hair shaft is pigment free with a hollow core which scatters, and reflects visible light. But anyway dude, what I’m talking about are the bears which are floating on the ice cubes in the Pacific.

yes i know this. but they got that way because of climate changes.
dude... polar bears on floating ice is not unusual, that is what they do.

yes i know this. but they got that way because of climate changes.
dude... polar bears on floating ice is not unusual, that is what they do.
This is what I meant, when I said , floating on ice cubes.

The key danger posed by global warming is malnutrition or starvation due to habitat loss. Polar bears hunt seals from a platform of sea ice. Rising temperatures cause the sea ice to melt earlier in the year, driving the bears to shore before they have built sufficient fat reserves to survive the period of scarce food in the late summer and early fall.[79] Reduction in sea-ice cover also forces bears to swim longer distances, which further depletes their energy stores and occasionally leads to drowning.[119] Thinner sea ice tends to deform more easily, which appears to make it more difficult for polar bears to access seals.[54] Insufficient nourishment leads to lower reproductive rates in adult females and lower survival rates in cubs and juvenile bears, in addition to poorer body condition in bears of all ages.[23]

In addition to creating nutritional stress, a warming climate is expected to affect various other aspects of polar bear life: Changes in sea ice affect the ability of pregnant females to build suitable maternity dens. As the distance increases between the pack ice and the coast, females must swim longer distances to reach favored denning areas on land.[23] Thawing of permafrost would affect the bears who traditionally den underground, and warm winters could result in den roofs collapsing or having reduced insulative value.[23] For the polar bears that currently den on multi-year ice, increased ice mobility may result in longer distances for mothers and young cubs to walk when they return to seal-hunting areas in the spring.[23] Disease-causing bacteria and parasites would flourish more readily in a warmer climate.[54

If polar bears don't like floating on Ice they should just move to Hawaii =D like the homeless of california

As a Hawaii Pacific University Alumni I wonder if you realize how correct you are. :) Not, that I'm cold to the plight of the poor and if your gonna be homeless Hawaii is certainly the place to be.

Aloha,

Join me in wishing Vladimir a Happy bEarthday!

Lenin_ReasonfortheSeason.jpg

...and enjoy these golden oldies from Vlad's 100th bearthday in 1970...

"Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make. The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years." — Stanford University biologist Paul Ehrlich

"Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born… [By 1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s." — Paul Ehrlich

"It is already too late to avoid mass starvation," — Denis Hayes, Chief organizer for Earth Day

"Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions…. By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine." — North Texas State University professor Peter Gunter

"By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate… that there won't be any more crude oil. You'll drive up to the pump and say, ‘Fill 'er up, buddy,' and he'll say, ‘I am very sorry, there isn't any.'" — Ecologist Kenneth Watt

"The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age." — Kenneth Watt

Last edited:
Back