• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

** Earliest Ufo Encounters ***

Ladylemon

Paranormal Novice
I have read detailed and descriptive literature of alien encounters dating from the late 1800s. Has anyone anything further to add to this? Also, what became of the account logged by Russian Intelligence- re: two cosmonaunts claiming that they had seen angelic beings passing swiftly past their space station, only to soar vertically upwards into space and vanish...?
Russian Intelligence took the account very seriously indeed- and one must remember that in pre-glasnost days, to air such tales was a dangerous thing to do- even if true.

Regards,

LL x

Ladylemon said:
I have read detailed and descriptive literature of alien encounters dating from the late 1800s. Has anyone anything further to add to this?
Regards,

LL x

I don't know anything specifically about that cosmonaut story you are talking about. But there was a post somewhere on these forums with a picture of medieval painting with a thing in the sky shooting a beam down. Any modern eye would immediately identify this with the UFO phenomenon. I find UFOs in old/ancient art really interesting. If you do too then do a search on google for UFOs and renaissance or medieval art. There are several examples out there.

Plus, to add to this is the story of the vimanas in ancient India. Take a look at this wikipedia page Vimana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
There is also a description in the Ramayana (or maybe Mahabharata?) of something that comes very close to the sight and effect of a nuclear blast.

there are cave drawings depicting objects that look like disks in the sky

pixelsmith said:

And bizarre "sky spirits" wearing dark robes, with large heads and huge, black eyes.

pixelsmith said:

How about "Chariots of the Gods"? "Ezekiel's Wheel"? and other Von Daniken books. Sure, his conclusions are often pushing the limits of selling books, but considering he was writing in the age of hippies and pot on every street corner, the books were still interesting and filled with artwork. I loved Ezekiel's wheel when I was about 12. My dad was a UFO book reader. He says he has seen them, but I suspect that most of his sightings were the usual 'LITS'.
"alien animals, where are they?"
Good point. If you were going on a long 'car' trip, wouldn't you leave the dogs and cats at the alien 'pet hotel'? But then, the 'contacts' never mention their pets. Perhaps they have turned their home worlds into vast industrial orbs with no wild things left, and that's why they come and visit us so often...

The further back in time we go, the harder to interpret. But, yes, there are loads of things from long ago that could be interpreted as ufo sightings. About anything in the sky was a mystery to humans back then though, I usually stick with more recent sightings.

Australian Aborigines have many cave paintings depicting strange beings from their "dreamtime". Some of these are located, i believe, in the north west of Western Australia.

Alien pets? WE are the alien's pets and the earth is an intergalactic "Doggy Lodge" where they drop us off for a bit while they spend their summer holidays checking out the face on Mars!

Attachments

• kimberley01.jpg
    kimberley01.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 42
  • kimberley03.jpg
    kimberley03.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 43
True enough. As a tangent, I have come across references a couple of times to the fact that "flying saucers" was used in at least one article BEFORE Kenneth Arnold. If anyone knows what that article is, or thinks they remember a book referencing it, please PM me.

Michael L. said:
True enough. As a tangent, I have come across references a couple of times to the fact that "flying saucers" was used in at least one article BEFORE Kenneth Arnold. If anyone knows what that article is, or thinks they remember a book referencing it, please PM me.

I know that flying disc was used before Arnold, but I'm not aware that saucer was. If anyone does have a reference to an earlier use of saucer, that would be a gem to have since so many consider the Arnold sighting to be the birth of the term. Or at least the newspaper article's release of the sighting.

There is the records(sumerian cuniform on clay tablets)that speaks of the Sumeriam civilization beiing started by half fish half man beings who returned to the sea at night.
They are claimed to come from the satrs....
The ancient ruins of South America were built by the red bearded Gods who came to south america from elsewhere,and were regarded as gods.
They left promising to return long ago(the spaniards were mistakenfor these same Gods returning....)
The Dogon tribe of Africa has a star people ledgend which includes stellar knowledge they couldnt possibly have aquired with out the use of modern telescopes!
This knowledge concerns the Dog star Sirius.....
It has a twin companion which because it is a brown dwarf, cannot be seen by the naked eye...
The western plains also has several tribes of native indians whose ledgends claim origin from the stars.
These are all very ancient beliefs...
The Aborigones of australia alos have star people ledgends and there are a great deal of UFO incidents which have taken place in their desert.
bergle

FYI, the inscriptions at Abydos are not what they appear. Parts of them have been re-inscribed and parts erased, so to speak. They are not helicopters and planes even though they look like them now. The original inscriptions were nothing like a helicopter or a plane. I'm just going over what I remember because I was like, wow that is interesting. But further review revealed the true nature of these things.

Von Daniken was my first exposure to ancient cultures and UFOs, and yeah, he was P.T. Barnum with an accent. Despite that, he raised very valid questions concerning legends, myths and the possible sources.

I see nobody has mentioned Michael Cremo. His documentation of historical Out Of Place artifacts (OOParts) is fascinating and hard to discount. Kind of light on the UFO stuff however.

Back