• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Doctor Who and the Daleks greatest sci-fi show

Free episodes:

freemars2259

Skilled Investigator
Doctor who is the greatest sci-fi tv show ever made, here are some very cool videos that I think shows why:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kvZNjzEUrfo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GnBNc9KAIF0

Dr Who used to be a good show but became tedious pantomime half way through Tom Baker's tenure. As for this new, "re-imagined" Who; it's Eastenders in space with that terrible, gurning cheeky-chappy prat of an actor playing the doctor.

The Daleks are still cool, though.

For intelligent sci-fi on TV, try the new Battlestar Galactica. Cylons could kick Dalek arse!

Battlestar Galactica is the best American space opera today, but for me Doctor Who will always be the best sci-fi.

What about the master:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WeBv7Ma4M4o

im a fan, my first nightmares were about cybermen, and i have 122 of the novels

Nov21846.jpg

more balsa n bits

Damn ... did a huge reply to this but my bloody computer crashed. So take 2 ... and paraphrasing what I wrote earlier:

Blimey ... I agree with freemars2259, and I'm Welsh too ... blimey ... must be the end of the world or something ... croeso i gymru (welcome to wales ... for those not in the know).

Yep ... no question about it, Dr Who is the greatest as freemars2259 says.

But its the ideas that make it stand out from all other sci-fi programmes ... forget about the actors (which people like or don't like or can't connect with on some level), the terrible special effects in the (classic) series [but when you find out how much money the producers were given to play with, you're amazed they made anything at all with it], the hammy acting (sometimes).

For instance, at the end of the Tom Baker era ... in the adventure, Logopolis, the entire universe is endangered by a wave of entropy ... now think about that for a moment ... the ENTIRE UNIVERSE is endangered by a wave of entropy ... now you do NOT get a bigger story line than that.

Also, the entire mythology surrounding the venerable Doctor and his race, the Timelords, is absolutely astonishing ... when you take in all the canon ... the books, the tv episodes, the audio plays, the comic strips. I found a time-line on the internet once regarding the entire canon, and it started out something like 30 million years BC (when i think the Doctor (not his real name of course) was born) and went far into the future ... and thats just the tip of a bloody enormous iceberg.
I'm sure its got even more complicated since then.

Anyway, rant over, except to say, if you don't like David Tennant ... well there's no hope for you :D (check him out in a thing called "Taking over the Asylum" from the early 90s ... he'll tear your heart apart ... very sad stuff), and he is a wee bit manic I guess, but he's got phenomenal energy and seems to be really having a blast making it (he is a big fan of the series after all). Oh and when he goes into super serious mode ... well ... he gives Tom Baker at his best a hell of a ride for his money.

Oh and one other thing. I like to think of the whole Dr Who series as a sort of exercise in archaeology. If you think of all the adventures as actually happening at some time or other, as real events, and the tv series etc as a way of putting together a history of the Doctors (real-life) adventures using the resources given to the producers at the time ... you can sort of get round the bad special effects and acting problems :p

Here are the best stories on DVD for each of the 10 TV Doctors:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth starring William Hartnell,

The Tomb of the Cybermen starring Patrick Troughton,

Inferno starring Jon Pertwee,

Genesis of the Daleks starring Tom Baker,

The Caves of Androzani starring Peter Davison,

Revelation of the Daleks starring Colin Baker,

The Curse of Fenric starring Sylvester McCoy,

The TV movie starring Paul McGann,

Dalek starring Christopher Eccleston,

Army of Ghosts / Doomsday starring David Tennant.

I am a huge Dr. Who fan. I like the new and old (old better though) and as far as BSG... I won't miss it at all! I won't even bother with a defense of the show since Schticknz pretty much nailed it.

I finally have the space to start building props and models again and am hoping to start a project to scratch build a Dalek, possibly motorized. Maybe a K-9 as well. In searching for some good info on proportions of my favorite intergalactic fiends (seriously, they would destroy the Klingons, the Cylons and the Wraith) I ran across this site with a cool little paper model project:

http://dalekfactory.tripod.com/DIY.html

And here is a link to a paper model of the TARDIS and an interior:

http://members.tripod.com/%7Einto_the_shadows/models/

I made a little Dalek out of a single sheet of cardstock... if you want to try it I think you will want to blow up the link so it prints on TWO sheets! The little guy is cute (in a maniacal way) but was hard to build at that size. I haven't tried the other pieces yet... paper models are kind of new to me and I prefer a nice styrene piece I can paint. Still, I have always wanted a TARDIS with a nice flashing light and that horrible key across the harp string sound!

You're totally right about the Daleks. They're totally malevolent. In my opinion there is no greater alien species more scarey than the Daleks. They're totally soul-less and utterly driven in their quest to kill all life in the universe.

And I know some people think of them as just motorised pepper-pots ... but just think of them coming down the street in droves ... "exterminate ... exterminate" ... relentless, unstoppable, killing everything in their path ... i see ... now you're scared :D.

American TV aliens are totally insipid by comparison. Maybe the only thing that comes close may be the Shadow things from Babylon 5 ... but yep, Klingons and whoever wouldn't stand a chance :p

(Dr Who fans: Remember seeing a Dalek go up a set of stairs for the first time?? ... "levitaaate" ... fan-bloody-tastic ... and even the Doctor (Sylvester McCoy at the time) was petrified ... a truly brilliant, funny and heart-stopping moment :D).

The Tomb of the Cybermen starring Patrick Troughton is the best black and white story.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QlypZVCkmec

Michael L. said:
I thought Big Finish only did audio stories!

They do, those were just adverts for audio stories, I think.

The Power of the Daleks in Colour! 2:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9pH7LtmLDPA

Peter Cushing also did a couple of dalek movies
Dr who and the daleks and daleks: Invasion earth 2150

classic stuff replete with lava lamps and cardboard sets

its funny ive seen reference to the series in relation to the ufo question recently.
the cybermen/daleks (synthetic intelligence) the silurians (underground reptoids evolving intellect before man) UNIT, a secret military taskforce set up to deal with aliens......

freemars2259 said:
The Doctor/Davros scene that made me a Dr Who fan for life:

Genesis of the Daleks if I'm not mistaken. I think thats one of the best if not the best Dr Who adventure ... certainly in Tom Baker's era in my not so humble opinion anyway. Its fantastically written, Tom's acting is fabulous, lots of self-doubt on his behalf, and Terry Molly's Davros has never been bettered in my mind. Really chilling stuff.

That would be so extremely cool. I think Davros is one of the classic villains or monsters or examples of evil, whatever term you prefer, of all time.

You know, I was really worried that this new series was going to be horrible. The format change scared me at first, but they certainly aren't afraid to slide into a two-parter at any time (although I miss some of the old, really long stories). It is a real testament to the people involved that everyone I know who watched the old show can enjoy the new series and people like my wife, who had never seen Doctor Who before, enjoy it too. But so far it has been about everything you could want. The tone and character changes make sense given the events that transpired between the old and new series, the special effects are good but they still retain the great storytelling that made the show.

This has been, by and large, a Doctor love fest. How does everyone feel about Torchwood?

The first season of Torchwood was okay, but I'm really looking forward to series 2. Since it starts airing on HDNet on February 11th I'm waiting to view it then rather than using the "torrent of bits".

-Derek

You don't have BBC America? It started last Saturday. I am surprised that it is still on HDNet since BBCAmerica is supposed to launch in HD relatively soon.

Back