• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Do you read music magazines while your eating your dinner ? If so what do you like ?

Free episodes:

Do you read music magazines while your eating your dinner ? If so what do you lik

No I dont think that is bullshit,

I would imagine they would have some sort of symbolic language themselves.
And therefore would have some concept of what our languages are all about.
I dont mean by that, that they would necessarily understand any of it.
Just what the written forms represent.

Now getting back to music for a moment, aside from the aural appreciation bit.
The classical written form I would think, would be a relatively simple thing to get to grips with especially as much of it can be understood mathematically.

I have mentioned this on another thread, but I think an apt quote in relation to music, and the true apreciation of it's emotional power to humans at least would be.

"Talking about music is like fishing about architecture".

Frank Zappa.

By that I mean. It's one thing to have all the theory, but to really appreciate what music can do you just have to play.

Peace,

Mark

Do you read music magazines while your eating your dinner ? If so what do you lik

I read Paste magazine and up until recently No-Depression.
Listen to these cds:

The Minus Five - Gun Album
James McMurtry - Just Us Kids
Alejandro Escovedo - Real Animal
Robyn Hitchcock - Ole Tarantula
Patty Griffin - Impossible Dream
Kimberley Rew - Tunnel Into Summer
Bevis Frond - Live At The Great American Music Hall
Graham Parker - Deep Cut To Nowhere
Richard Thompson - Mock Tudor
Paul Roland - Danse Macabre
Fairport Convention - Over The Next Hill

...in no particular order...

Dusty, Canadians do country??????? gimmi a minute. ;):eek:::)ok. got it.
Was that the band you are in. Are you the blond playin guitar? and Are you singing
the harmony?. cuz if you are then I think you don't need the big guy.
Sorry if he's your bud.

Phish...

Not sure how many of you got a chance to see them. Sometimes mislabeled or misunderstood, they frequently achieved absolutely ridiculous levels of synchronically amongst mind-bending freeform jams. No show was ever the same. One night a song would be 5 minutes and a few nights later 25 minutes. Here are two highlights I found in youtube.

Bathtub Gin ( The Great Went Festival August 1997 )

Twist, Pt 1 ( Island Run, 1998 )

Twist, Pt 2 ( Island Run, 1998 ) * Lightshow, Mothership Landing :)

Glad you like the song/video Witchy,

We have done a few others but I'm not sure how to get them uploaded.
That track was recorded way back in 95, though even if I say so myself it does have a timeless quality.

Also Hi "bsvalley",

We aren't actually Canadian though our name was inspired by the town in Alberta.
There is a long and very funny story attached to why we chose that name.
Far too personal to go into here, but suffice it to say, all very "Spinal Tap".

Mark<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

This is one of my all time favourite bands.

Take a close look at the Bass player. Some of you, particularly in the UK may recognise him.

Peace,

Mark

The only music mag I get is Guitar World. I just read all the articles I don't really pay any attention to the music lessons.

Dusty, that is really cool you are in a band and indeed that song is very catchy! Looks like your band is doing pretty well, well enough to have a professional music video!!!

Does anyone else watch VH1 Classic? I find that station totally addictive.

One of my favorite weekend activities is to jump on ITUNES and pick certain artists I've heard of but never really listened to and go through the whole catalog and buy the songs I like the most (from the 30 second snippets).

Frank Zappa
<object height="344" width="425">
</object>Zappa was the man. I miss him more than I miss being 8 years old.
Phish...

Not sure how many of you got a chance to see them. Sometimes mislabeled or misunderstood, they frequently achieved absolutely ridiculous levels of synchronically amongst mind-bending freeform jams.
I got to see Phish only once, and they were one of the best bands I've ever seen. At times they seemed to be one entity playing separate parts of the same instrument.

Seeing as how they haven't been posted here yet, here's a couple from one of my current favorite bands, Umphrey's McGee.

[youtube]vESuve__T7w[/youtube]
[youtube]z2JHZU7HEIw[/youtube]

Back