• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Do you prefer the new or old forum?

Do you prefer the old message board or the new one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Gil Bavel

This is a new thread to post opinions about the new message board vs. the old one.

I frankly prefer the old one. :p If there were ads before, I didn't notice them. There were features in the old one that I don't see here, and there seems to be less user friendliness in general in the new one.

I realize that there's not much chance of going back, but I wanted to get everyone's opinions on the subject.

For instance, one thing I've noticed, is that when replying to a message, and quoting another post, you used to be able to scroll up and see other messages, whereas here, you just get the one you're quoting.

Also--where are the stars next to the usernames? I had just gotten my fourth star and was kind of starting to feel like a big shot. I have no idea what four gold stars meant, but I liked it. Where are the stars?

And, if we're going to have bookmarks (for social networking sites), throw a link to MySpace and Facebook up there! I'm not only a member of MySpace, but once in the old version, I wanted to embed a post, and couldn't--now that we can, there's no MySpace link.

So, with that, please throw in with your opinions about how you like the new version vs. the old one, what your experiences and tastes are, and hopefully our Fearless Leaders will take notice and reshape what must be a fairly vanilla system at this point to make it look and feel a bit more like the old one--or, provide more flexibility in the new one for us.

Another thing I've noticed--Not enough characters are allowed in the signatures. Mine used to be "One foot in each dimension" (fairly short, right?) Now I have to use "1 foot in each dimension". What gives?

Yes, some things are different, and some things have to be configured further as we go along. As to the social networking stuff, I just need the icons and the proper submit code, and I can add them in a jiffy.

When it comes to star ratings, let me see what we can do.

I never used the old one so I can't say. What problems I had with this one, Gene fixed for me pretty quick.

im an old fart almost fossilised, change seems to unsettle me, but the wheel turns, and i'll adapt.
the new forums could be in 3-D and cause the molecules in my undies to vibrate in manner as to cause warm fuzzy feelings, and i would still be unsettled by change.

"she'll be right mate" as they say down here

:D

Too soon to tell. Some things are still being worked out and I still need to get used to it. I'll vote in a week or so if I can remember:) I preferred the earliest version to the last change however.

Too soon to tell. Some things are still being worked out and I still need to get used to it. I'll vote in a week or so if I can remember:) I preferred the earliest version to the last change however.

As much as we appreciate the votes one way or the other, remember that there will be intermittent changes in the next week or two as we become accustomed to working with the new stuff.

And it's not as if we can easily go back.

I like it too. It's much easier to find what I haven't read and I like to mark forums read. It also seems you're doing a good job of separating topics under appropriate headings. Clean.

I've already become blind to the ads! (Don't tell anyone. I'd hate to have to get used to a new ad format.)

I like it too. It's much easier to find what I haven't read and I like to mark forums read. It also seems you're doing a good job of separating topics under appropriate headings. Clean.

I've already become blind to the ads! (Don't tell anyone. I'd hate to have to get used to a new ad format.)

Actually, the only new ad is at the bottom of the page. Everything else is pretty much the way it was before. :D

But, as you said, you don't pay attention to the ads anyway. :)

Hmm, I do miss the "latest posts" and "todays posts" from the old one. Or is it cloaked here somewhere? :D Whoops! Never mind I found it under "Quick Links". :D

Getting used to it now 8)

However, at first I thought it was as much fun as leaping under a bus...... :eek:

What happened to the stars! I want my stars back!

I had just gotten to four! Whatever that means....

Gene, what does four mean?

David? Anybody?

What happened to the stars! I want my stars back!

I had just gotten to four! Whatever that means....

Gene, what does four mean?

David? Anybody?

It means you've posted enough to have been knocked upside the head enough to have at least seen stars 4 times.

I voted no preference, but since more things have been added, or fixed, I prefer this forum over any other one they've had so far.

And I can assure you that, aside from minor tweaks and such (and software updates, of course), we're not moving to a new forum system any time soon.

Yeah, I'm getting used to the new one, too. So, what, now we all just have one dot?

What is this, some kind of communist message board? :p

"You only need one dot--everybody is the same".

And here I was feeling special.

Yeah, I'm getting used to the new one, too. So, what, now we all just have one dot?

What is this, some kind of communist message board? :p

"You only need one dot--everybody is the same".

And here I was feeling special.

We're still playing with the features, so if they turn off and on at random, don't fret. It's not a communist or fascist message board. It's one that mostly works, and that's a change for the better. :)

The only thing buggin me is the Special News For Our Listeners box... on every single page you visit you have to scroll down past that again. If there were a way to make it show on the index only it would be fine.

The only thing buggin me is the Special News For Our Listeners box... on every single page you visit you have to scroll down past that again. If there were a way to make it show on the index only it would be fine.

It's not something easily done. We have another feature called Announcements, but it doesn't display on the home page. You either lose or you lose.

However, I expect that the solution is simply a matter of hacking the forum templates to allow for what you want -- and we're working on it.

Of course, if any of you are expert at vBulletin configuration, maybe you can assist?

OK, here's an update!

With two tiny code changes recommended by a vBulletin expert, we've accomplished the miracle you asked for. :cool:

Back