• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

David is a Yanni fan?!

A

ABR486

:eek:
Just admitted it on tonight's show. He's a "pre-Linda Evans" Yanni fan.

Which one of these artists doesn't fit: Radiohead, The Butthole Surfers, Yanni, The Pixies

ABR486 said:
:eek:
Just admitted it on tonight's show. He's a "pre-Linda Evans" Yanni fan.

Which one of these artists doesn't fit: Radiohead, The Butthole Surfers, Yanni, The Pixies

Isn't a "yanni" one of those big hairy men-ape creatures supposedly seen in the Himalayas ??? ... or am i thinking of something else??? :D

A Yanni is indeed hairy. But what's most frightening is that it creates a type of music that can drive a sane man INSANE!

I listen to Alvin and the Chipmunks, played slowed and backwards. Women dig it. It sounds like a gay satan having sex with a bag pipe, with lots of bass.

Well, not knowing what a "Yanni" was, I did a quick search on iTunes for it and found "Ultimate Yanni" on offer........ one fan states "Ultimate Chillout Music" - Guess everyone needs something to counteract the caffeine eh? ;)

Yanni is like a more new age, mystical version of Kenny G. I hear he's gonna be playing keyboards on the next Morrissey tour.

Well, we all have our guilty pleasures.

I like two specific tracks on "Keys to Imagination", an early Yanni album (his first in fact, released in 1986), and that's about it. I'm not sure if this makes me out to be a "fan", I just have a thing for electronic music. "Keys to Imagination" is a decent electronic music album, and it's even better 'cause unlike his later stuff, it does NOT feature his mug on the cover.

dB

I also adore Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings", Mozart, Larry Fast/Syngery, Howlin Wolf, and I have a very, very special in my heart for Billie Holiday. I totally dig Buck Owens, Frank Zappa, Authechre, Dave Brubeck, Django Reinhart, Les Paul... my music taste are varied and eclectic.

And now I'll really stir it up... I like Barry Manilow's early work, and not because he was a consulting client of mine in 1984...

dB

um Slayer, Pixies, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Die Krupps, Suzie and the banshees ( I know I know its spelled wrong and I'm just to lazy to look it up.) The O'brother where art thou soundtrack and Machine Head.

David Biedny said:
And now I'll really stir it up... I like Barry Manilow's early work, and not because he was a consulting client of mine in 1984...
WTF?! My brother is a HUGE Barry Manilow fan. I recently bought him a Barry Manilow cd for his birthday. As I stood at the register the shame I felt was probably equivalent to having to buy jock itch cream. Anyway, I hate to admit Barry's music has grown on me- but it has. Plus, from everything I've read, he seems like a decent guy. So I gotta ask David, did you ever get to meet him and what did you think?

By the way, while I will never be down with Yanni, I did like some of Vangelis' stuff. That music he wrote for Chariots of Fire was awesome. Also love that album he did with the guy from Yes. But the music he wrote for Blade Runner- so epic.

When I hear "Yanni," I always think of "Yoni," which is the indian/new age word for.... (I'm not gonna spell out the word here, but it's a good fit for Yanni.)

David Biedny said:
I also adore Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings", Mozart, Larry Fast/Syngery, Howlin Wolf, and I have a very, very special in my heart for Billie Holiday. I totally dig Buck Owens, Frank Zappa, Authechre, Dave Brubeck, Django Reinhart, Les Paul... my music taste are varied and eclectic.

dB

There was some Barry Manilow special on last night.

Talking about strange music collections. My younger brother is not only a metal head. He used to listen to Metallica, Megadeath stuff like that when he was younger (still does as far as i know) ... but ... when he met his future wife he got into someone who is in my mind the antithesis of heavy metal and music of that ilk.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, I give you ...

(Sir) CLIFF RICHARD

I'm more of a Cabaret Voltaire/The Fall/Aphex Twin fanatic myself :-D amongst many others (mostly electronic of course) ... heavy metal just gave me a headache. Although i did love the first Napalm Death album ... thats before their tunes got longer than 2 seconds long ... too commercial for me.

schticknz said:
(Sir) CLIFF RICHARD
I'm more of a Cabaret Voltaire/The Fall/Aphex Twin fanatic myself :-D amongst many others (mostly electronic of course) ... heavy metal just gave me a headache. Although i did love the first Napalm Death album ... thats before their tunes got longer than 2 seconds long ... too commercial for me.
Are you old enough to remember a British show called The Young Ones? In the final episode they drive a double decker bus through a Cliff Richard billboard. I just remember Vivian yelling, "CLIFF!" LOL! Oh well, it was funny at the time. Cliff was huge in England (obviously if he has Sir in front of his name.) Anyway, I also dig The Fall. There's a video on YouTube of Mark E. Smith reading off the soccer scores on some program that is pretty funny. And while I haven't heard any Cabaret Voltaire since the 80s they were pretty cool. All I know about Aphex Twin is that amazing, creepy video. Good stuff.

ABR486 said:
schticknz said:
(Sir) CLIFF RICHARD
Are you old enough to remember a British show called The Young Ones? In the final episode they drive a double decker bus through a Cliff Richard billboard. I just remember Vivian yelling, "CLIFF!" LOL! Oh well, it was funny at the time. Cliff was huge in England (obviously if he has Sir in front of his name.) Anyway, I also dig The Fall. There's a video on YouTube of Mark E. Smith reading off the soccer scores on some program that is pretty funny. And while I haven't heard any Cabaret Voltaire since the 80s they were pretty cool. All I know about Aphex Twin is that amazing, creepy video. Good stuff.

Ahhh young people :-D ... yes i remember "The Young Ones" (even got an ancient video of 3 of the episodes somewhere). I was a wee bit too young and sensitive to watch it fully when it came out but I've made up for it since then.

[Side note: Does anyone remember "The Dangerous Brothers". That was Ade and Rik setting fire to each other and pushing forks into each other way before their "Bottom" days ... and a bit before "The Young Ones" ...]

Cliff is a British Icon apparently. I think he still holds the record for having a hit in each decade from the 50s up to now, and having 70 trillion Christmas number ones in the Top 40 one year after another ... well it felt like that at the time.

He really did nothing for me although my mother had a few of his 45s when i was a kid. Grew up knowing the words to "Living Doll" (possibly the most disturbing song ever???), "The Young Ones" etc ... he was built up to be the British version of Elvis. Pity he was so wet though :-D

Mark E. Smith: what a god :-D. Now there is a guy you really wouldn't like to meet in a dark alley. Cantankerous as they come, possibly the greatest poet in "Pop/Rock" Music history (??) ... some academics think so (true!!) ... totally bloody minded and the only punk/post-punk guy never to sell out (Joe Strummer??? Uhhh ... purleaaase ... he was a bloody middle class kid who went to a posh school). Every album as John Peel noted, sounds the same but is still totally different ...

The Aphex Twin. Possibly a genius ... and probably what Mozart would have been like if he'd been around today ... discuss :-D

Cabaret Voltaire: did everything before everybody else in the electronic dance/pop music world ... wouldn't have any electronic dance music at all were it not for these guys ... and they came from Sheffield (as did The Human League (before the girly crap), Heaven 17 etc etc etc)

End of strange enthusiastic histrionic ranty over the top over-opinionated diatribe about people and bands most people would probably not touch with a 60ft barge pole ...

We all have our guilty pleasures... I at one time owned two Ace Of Base albums. Hey, the lead singers were hot Swedish girls!

-todd.

tommyball said:
We all have our guilty pleasures... I at one time owned two Ace Of Base albums. Hey, the lead singers were hot Swedish girls!

-todd.

Oh the humanity!!:p

As long as we're coming clean on guilty pleasures...

I still think "Barbie Girl" by Aqua is one of the best pop songs ever...about on par with "Oops, I Did It Again" by Brittney Spears.

...um, I'm going to go crawl under my bed now.:redface:

Back