• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dark shadow like creature my 2nd experience

Ni7suj

Paranormal Novice
My second strange experience was some sort of dark shadow thing that was in the middle of the road. I stopped my car to a screeching halt and could have wrecked because of it.

I was driving from my girlfriends house one night. I would say it was around 11pm that night and I was 17 years old. I always took back roads back and forth to my house and her house. It was in Loudon, TN and it was an overcast that night and no stars or moon shining. So it was dark out in the country. I was traveling on the road I know by heart and going about 40 mph when I suddenly seen something move into the middle of the road and stop right on the yellow lines. I slammed on my brakes because I thought it was going to run out in front of me and it looked large enough to almost be a child. My tires actually left skid marks on the road. There was a slight smoke that rose in the headlight from what I knew was the tires burning rubber. This... thing... just stood there. And I mean it STOOD there. It was walking upright. I could make out two legs and two arms. It was hunched over like it had been startled. It really looked like the figure of some 5 year old child but still very different. The biggest concern that I had was that this thing was PITCH BLACK. My headlights were shining straight at the thing and it was not reflecting any sort of light at all.
The smoke of the tire settled and this thing turned its torso and looked at me. I assume it was looking at me but really it could have turned and looked opposite of me and had been looking at me the entire time. The torso movement was clearly it looking in a different direction. I couldn't tell what direction becase there was no light reflecting off of it. It was like a black shadow figure. I remember staring at it and said something like "Oh %#@%... " then at that moment it glided off the road down into the field and into the woods. It moved very fast for such a small figure. And when I mean glide... it leterally looked as if it was gliding. The head didn't seem to bop up and down or it's body didn't seem to move as if it was running. It's body composure stayed the same as it glided across the street and across the field. The thing must have been 20 feet away from my car when it stopped in the road. It then moved across a field that must have been 75 yards in about 5 seconds. It vanished in the darkness of the woods. My headlights had lit up the field enough so that I could see it go across the field.

At this time I had goose bumbs on my arms and flipped out. I took off and got home as fast as I could. I told my Mom and Brother about it that night and of Mom thought I was just sounding silly. My Brother was more into what I was saying but I know he had a sense of doubt to him.

The next day after school I went on the same road and I pulled over where it had happened. I looked on the road for any sort of evidence and found nothing. I did find the skid marks I left. I then decided to walk the path it took into the field but there was one little interesting problem that I did not see that night. There was a barbed wire fence along the edge of the road were the field was. This thing... whatever it was... went through this fences like it was not even there. That is when I really freaked out because the entire day I kept saying it had to be some sort of strange animal. But how could the animal go through a fence and never lose it's pace across the field?

A futher description of the thing was it's head. It's head was more like a point. It didn't have a round head but was more pointy. Its arms were out to its side when it stopped... not right next to its side... but out... like in a fashion it had been startled. One leg was slightly out in front and the other was slightly in back like it was in the middle of a stride running but more standing. I almost looked like it had joints in the right places. Arms slightly bent... knees slightly bent... but it almost looked like... its weird but... that it looked like it had some sort of clothing on it's back. It stuck out like a cape would stick out. It was simply weird.

Oh and I never drank a drop of alcohol or did any sort of drugs when I was in highschool. Everybody else seemed to enjoy the life of drinking when I was more athletic and into girls to take up my time. :)

So that is that story. It's very weird but I like to tell it.

I guess the obvious question is did you see any disruption of your headlights beam on the road? In other words, did it cast a shadow?

I guess the obvious question is did you see any disruption of your headlights beam on the road? In other words, did it cast a shadow?

Oh... I forgot to mention that. Thanks for asking. I honestly don't recall seeing a shadow. I mean it's possible there was one and all my intuition tells me there was but I don't recall any details about the shadow. I sometimes wonder if the pointy part of it's head was actually the shadow on the ground behind it that was giving it this appearance of a long head. But I can't be certain because the entire thing looked like a shadow. I couldn't see through it though... It was just blackness.

That's an amazing story, Ni7suj. I could really picture it, based on your description.

When you say glide, there was absolutely no motion of the legs, or a mismatch between slow movement of legs and faster movement of thing? Did it accelerate to speed, or go right into full speed? Did it make any sound while it was gliding, any interaction with the ground or whatever was on the side of the road? Did it move off in the same direction it came from, or opposite?

Thanks for sharing it, I'll go read your others.

dB

That's an amazing story, Ni7suj. I could really picture it, based on your description.

When you say glide, there was absolutely no motion of the legs, or a mismatch between slow movement of legs and faster movement of thing? Did it accelerate to speed, or go right into full speed? Did it make any sound while it was gliding, any interaction with the ground or whatever was on the side of the road? Did it move off in the same direction it came from, or opposite?

dB

Thanks! Glad I can share my strange experience here.

When it moved I really could not make out the motion of the legs. It was moving at an angle away from me. It came onto the road from the left and left the road into the tree line to the right at a forward angle. It didn't seem to accelerate... just hit a speed really quickly... into full speed if you will. I didn't hear any sound because I was inside my car watching it. I also had the radio going.

You described so well what you saw that night, sounds so similar to what I saw that I wrote of here: Shadow Ghost? - The Paracast Community Forums

you have kind of confirmed it for me, especially it's posture and like it was wearing something on it's back, there seems to be many similarities in what we have seen.

You described so well what you saw that night, sounds so similar to what I saw that I wrote of here: Shadow Ghost? - The Paracast Community Forums

you have kind of confirmed it for me, especially it's posture and like it was wearing something on it's back, there seems to be many similarities in what we have seen.

I read yours too and it does sounds similar indeed. I don't think I was too scared at the time just more in shock. It was not until later that I thought about it then I started to get more chills thinking about it because it just did not make any sense. Things that don't make sense are creepy sometimes. :D

But I can't be certain because the entire thing looked like a shadow. I couldn't see through it though... It was just blackness.

I had a similar experience as a child one time. It was a "shadow-like" figure, which appeared to move funny, as I remember it (it was a very long time ago). The event took place during broad daylight, and I was upstairs watching Nickelodeon cartoons. I heard walking upstairs and I had a bad feeling right away, but hoped it was my younger brother whom I called out to to come help me with something. I didn't have anything I needed to have help with in particular, I was just scared for no apparent reason.

It was not much longer afterwards did I see the figure. Completely black, absolutely no light reflected off of the thing, and it appeared to be wearing a robe (judging by its shape). Its movement was something like from an old sixties sci-fi movie, where a stop-frame animation figure would have choppy movement. Except I would have to say its movement was more fluid than that, but the way in which it moved reminded me of that.

The figure didn't act as though it noticed me. It just kept "walking" past the bedroom door. I don't know how long it was until I did this, but I ran down the stairs, eventhough it meant I had to go into the hallway to do this (the place in which the monster was last seen) and I told my parents in the living room of what I saw.

Being the typical stupid adult as I seemed to remember people at the time, they wrote it off as simply that I was sleeping. Which I thought was preposterous because I was awake through the whole ordeal. But, they wouldn't listen to my arguments and that was the end of it.

I want to remind anyone reading this, that this all happened in the middle of the day. This means that I didn't see this figure at night and mistook some dark figure for something that it wasn't. There was daylight all around this thing and it didn't reflect any of it. It was like a black shadow which existed in 3-dimensional space. I could tell it was close enough to not be apart of the walls or anything.

Physically, I don't think that such things can exist, so I don't know what to make of it. It could have been my imagination, or it could've been real. Likely, it was something I imagined as a kid but it still feels nice for me to know that I'm not the only one who experiences these things, because, even as an adult, the memory of that event still fucking scares me ALOT.

PS. My username isn't meant to imply that I'm a liar (for those who've never heard of the term). The "liar's paradox" is a computer science/mathematics thing. If you ever watched "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" and saw the episode where the Tachikomas tricked a gynoid with the "liar's paradox," then you might know what it is that I'm talking about.

Things that don't make sense are creepy sometimes. :D

Either that, or irritating.

dB

I know you asked him, but I imagine that if this thing were "paranormal" then it shouldn't need to interact with anything physical. Actually, it wouldn't need a geometric form for that matter either.

I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if most people here believe in ghosts but its the notion that you can "see" ghosts which bugs me. If you no longer need a body, then why do you need to have a form? Also, why do ghosts appear to be wearing clothing? Is it because their clothes have ghosts too?

That might make sense if your "faith" involved worshipping of inanimate objects, such as what you might find in paganism or some form of animism. Otherwise, people's interpretations of ghosts really aren't very logical.

Otherwise, people's interpretations of ghosts really aren't very logical.

Well, the problem is that logic seems to have precious little to do with paranormal events - I can tell you that what I saw with my friend Bill in the Carriage Hills condo complex in Hollywood, Florida, did indeed seem to have clothes, but was not an actual living person. Why it had clothes, I couldn't tell you, we both saw it (I hesitate to call it her, even though it certainly looked distinctly female to us). Dig up the episode with me & Bill Vellekoop, listen to it, and you'll hear what I mean.

dB

Ni7,

That was extremely creepy, and such a detailed recall. Thanks for sharing that. I will TRY to sleep tonight. ;)

Thanks for sharing your story!

I actually witnessed a shadow person attack my friend once, I will never forget it!

If anyone wants to hear that story, let me know and I'll post a separate thread about it.

Instead of providing an excuse to dismiss a witness account, logical inconsistencies might provide clues to the nature of the experience. Case in point:

its the notion that you can "see" ghosts which bugs me

I find this very intriguing too. If you can see it, then light must be bouncing off of someting physical.

My intuition on this is that visual information is coming from the experiencer's subconscious, but only because there really is an external stimulus calling it up. An extremely odd stimulus which we are unable to perceive directly. In particular this theory could account for the clothing because that's what we remember and expect about people. In general it could account for the subjective nature of all paranormal experiences.

Back