• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 7

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, it's important to note that the paper referenced in the link above and linked directly to below does not support the idea that consciousness is not substrate dependent. It supports the idea that consciousness is dependent only on functional organization, which is more like saying that consciousness is substrate translatable, and concludes incorrectly, to quote from the paper: Absent Qualia, Fading Qualia, Dancing Qualia

"I conclude that by far the most plausible hypothesis is that replacement of neurons while preserving functional organization will preserve qualia, and that experience is wholly determined by functional organization."​

He bases this on a particular view of functional isomorphism that assumes that materials are irrelevant. To quote:

"The crucial step in the thought-experiment is to take a silicon circuit just like Bill's and install it in my head as a backup circuit. This circuit will be functionally isomorphic to a circuit already present in my head."
There's no date on the paper, but it's at least 6 years old. Maybe he's changed his viewpoint by now. I hope so. I know you don't like the analogy I use with magnetism, but it's a good one, so I'm not going to apologize for it. Ironically Chalmers himself uses the analogy in one of his talks. The analogy immediately reveals the flaw in the reasoning that supports the conclusion Chalmers reached. It is briefly explained below:

Because we don't yet know with certainty what it is about the brain that gives rise to consciousness, what sort of thing consciousness itself is composed of on an objective physical level, or if it is even a physical brain based phenomena, we cannot rule out the possibility that consciousness is a physical brain based phenomena, and in any case, Chalmers' paper is built on the premise that it is a physical brain based phenomena, therefore, because the brain is made of specific physical materials, it may be the case that like magnetism, it's not simply a matter of isomorphism independent of material type.

Simply put, as pointed out in previous posts, we could conceivably build a wooden or plastic magnet that is isomorphically identical in every way other than materials to a working bar magnet or electromagnet, and no matter how "fine grained" to use Chalmers' specific expression, the wood or plastic replicas are, neither will be magnetic. If you really don't like the analogy to magnetism ( and I see no reason not to like it ), I'm sure you can come up with other examples more suited to your taste.

Last edited:
Simply put, as pointed out in previous posts, we could conceivably build a wooden or plastic magnet that is isomorphically identical in every way other than materials to a working bar magnet or electromagnet, and no matter how "fine grained" to use Chalmers' specific expression, the wood or plastic replicas are, neither will be magnetic. If you really don't like the analogy to magnetism ( and I see no reason not to like it ), I'm sure you can come up with other examples more suited to your taste.
Eh, this is a strawman. I've mentioned multiple times that there are models of magnetic fields that capture their properties (attracting and repulsing) via fluid dynamics. I will post then here once and for all because I am tired of this analogy haha.

I say it's a straw man because, sure, I could use Nike shoes to isomorphical recreate water molecules and not get the property of liquid.

But it begs the question, did you really create a true isomorphism?

We know liquidity is substrate independent. Chalmers logic—given that consciousness is physical—is sound.

The example of magnetic fields doesn't defeat his argument. You have no basis on which to state that magnetic fields aren't substrate independent. Can you prove that they aren't?

I'll post the fluid dynamic model asap.

First of all, it's important to note that the paper referenced in the link above and linked directly to below does not support the idea that consciousness is not substrate dependent. It supports the idea that consciousness is dependent only on functional organization, which is more like saying that consciousness is substrate translatable, and concludes incorrectly, to quote from the paper: Absent Qualia, Fading Qualia, Dancing Qualia

"I conclude that by far the most plausible hypothesis is that replacement of neurons while preserving functional organization will preserve qualia, and that experience is wholly determined by functional organization."​

He bases this on a particular view of functional isomorphism that assumes that materials are irrelevant. To quote:

"The crucial step in the thought-experiment is to take a silicon circuit just like Bill's and install it in my head as a backup circuit. This circuit will be functionally isomorphic to a circuit already present in my head."
There's no date on the paper, but it's at least 6 years old. Maybe he's changed his viewpoint by now. I hope so. I know you don't like the analogy I use with magnetism, but it's a good one, so I'm not going to apologize for it. Ironically Chalmers himself uses the analogy in one of his talks. The analogy immediately reveals the flaw in the reasoning that supports the conclusion Chalmers reached. It is briefly explained below:

Because we don't yet know with certainty what it is about the brain that gives rise to consciousness, what sort of thing consciousness itself is composed of on an objective physical level, or if it is even a physical brain based phenomena, we cannot rule out the possibility that consciousness is a physical brain based phenomena, and in any case, Chalmers' paper is built on the premise that it is a physical brain based phenomena, therefore, because the brain is made of specific physical materials, it may be the case that like magnetism, it's not simply a matter of isomorphism independent of material type.

Thanks for your input and opinions.

IMG_1855.PNG It's conceivable that magnetic "fields" are substrate independent.

Attachments

• IMG_1848.PNG
    IMG_1848.PNG
    286.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1849.PNG
    IMG_1849.PNG
    51.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1850.PNG
    IMG_1850.PNG
    305.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1851.PNG
    IMG_1851.PNG
    251.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1852.PNG
    IMG_1852.PNG
    322.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1853.PNG
    IMG_1853.PNG
    273 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1854.PNG
    IMG_1854.PNG
    320.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1856.PNG
    IMG_1856.PNG
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
“Their ‘scientists’ would concoct a clever invention called a ‘force’ in order to hide their ignorance.” ~Michio Kaku

Eh, this is a strawman. I've mentioned multiple times that there are models of magnetic fields that capture their properties (attracting and repulsing) via fluid dynamics. I will post then here once and for all because I am tired of this analogy haha. I say it's a straw man because, sure, I could use Nike shoes to isomorphical recreate water molecules and not get the property of liquid. But it begs the question, did you really create a true isomorphism? We know liquidity is substrate independent. Chalmers logic—given that consciousness is physical—is sound. The example of magnetic fields doesn't defeat his argument. You have no basis on which to state that magnetic fields aren't substrate independent. Can you prove that they aren't? I'll post the fluid dynamic model asap.

There's no strawman in the context of my post because I specifically quoted the relevant parts directly from the paper in question, and within those parameters, the analogy is 100% correlative. On the other hand the argument you make that it's not "true isomorphism" is basically the No True Scotsman Fallacy: No true Scotsman - Wikipedia

Additionally you make weak proclamations, such as: "You have no basis on which to state that magnetic fields aren't substrate independent." The magnetism analogy is based on our everyday understanding of magnetism that allows us to use it practically as a force to perform work. I keep it simple because analogies are supposed to be simple, and getting into the nuances of all variations of magnetism is irrelevant to the point and would defeat the purpose, but If you want more precision then we could use the term "ferromagnetic": Ferromagnetism - Wikipedia

I hope you'll move on out of this mode you're in because it's not getting you anywhere. Chalmers' conclusion as he states it within the context of his paper is flawed, plain and simple. However I'm prepared to cut you some slack on the point you were making with respect to "true isomorphism". I would concede that given identical physical properties, or perhaps even sufficiently similar physical properties, that material specificity may not matter. The problem is that although it's reasonable to conclude that a physical substrate is required, we're not 100% sure of that, and if it is, we still don't know which particular properties it needs to have.

@Soupie it's pointless to engage Randall, he's black and white, literal and pedantic - merrily logic- chopping the branch of the argument he's sitting on!

@Soupie it's pointless to engage Randall, he's black and white, literal and pedantic - merrily logic- chopping the branch of the argument he's sitting on!
Why do you bait me with your wise cracks? Are you sharpening your flame war skills? Learning to be a virtual Machiavellian troll? That is at least a little more creative than an outright frontal attack, but seriously. Why?

@Soupie and @smcder : When the ridicule is more prevalent than fair-minded, rational and relevant counterpoint, the discussion is over for me. Enjoy making someone else your target. Bye.

Why do you bait me with your wise cracks? Are you sharpening your flame war skills? Learning to be a virtual Machiavellian troll? That is at least a little more creative than an outright frontal attack, but seriously. Why?

I'm fine if you see it as a frontal attack. Its not supposed to be subtle. Its my perception of the situation. If I'm going to think it, i might as well say it.

Discussion is impossible with you and its a shame because there's an intelligent mind there.

@Soupie and @smcder : When the ridicule is more prevalent than fair-minded, rational and relevant counterpoint, the discussion is over for me. Enjoy making someone else your target. Bye.
Look at smcder's responses to many of my posts. He does the same thing to me when he thinks I'm being obtuse. Don't take it personally.

I enjoyed the discussion that unfolded these past two days, even though there was a lot of revisiting old theme. But I need that.

I've read up to this point now, after days away from the thread, and have gathered some posts I want to respond to.

Soupie wrote: "So if consciousness doesn't supervene at the neural level—and it may not—why does it spend all its time hanging out there?"

What persuades you that it does? Or who so persuades you?

Consciousness and mind first germinate in bodily awareness -- felt existence, sensed situated be-ing -- in primordial organisms (as Maturana, Varela, and Panksepp have recognized) from the basis of which various capabilities of protoconsciousness and consciousness gradually evolve and develop in prereflective and increasingly reflective experience, eventuating in our species, and likely in some others, to deliberative mind able to see -- i.e., comprehend -- and evaluate the circumstances of organized life as we produce it for ourselves and others, and also to make progress in understanding our relationship to the nature out of which we have emerged as able to take perspectives on nature and on ourselves and our behavior.

Soupie also writes: "Why are we conscious of information in (physiological states of) the brain?"

We're not 'conscious of "information in our brain states"; we, like other animals, are conscious of the environing worldly mileau that we experience directly, including other beings and things within it whose existence and behavior we become better at interpreting and reacting to productively as we learn how to navigate, survive, and thrive in our given mileau.

Soupie also wrote:

". . . perception is the process of the brain (or its equivalent in objective r) creating the most adaptive approximation of what's out there. This adaptive approximation will not capture all features of what's-out-there."

How can the neurons capture any features of what's out there since neurons, the physical brain itself, is never in contact with any of them? It's the living organism, the living being, that is in contact -- intense personal, bodily, contact -- with objective features of its environing world and, as Panksepp has shown us, is both aware of those sensed features and affected by its experience of them. The autopoietic boundary of the first single-celled organism, as Maturana and Varela first recognized, both constrains and enables the ongoing life of the organism. So the following claim is plainly wrong:

Soupie also wrote:

"we know that what's-out-there is unlike our experience/perception of what's-out-there."

How unlike can it be, though, since most animals coexisting with us are aware of the same physical structures [those produced by nature and those constructed by humans and by some other animals] and the same dynamic changes that take place in the weather systems in our shared environments [including electrical storms, hurricanes, earthquakes etc.] We know too that many animals possess more acute senses than we do about many impending dramatic changes, such as tsunamis. Animals also react to close approaches of ufos in ways similar to our reactions -- fear, confusion, backing away from the scene in most cases [and in some cases so shocked by the event that they won't leave the house they live in for days].

It appears that animals see and otherwise sense the same phenomenal realities that we have access to through our senses. Only the difference made in our perceptions by our human imaginative capacities and tendencies seems to distinguish us. And yet five minutes ago I saw my cat react in attack mode to something she evidently imagined to be scooting beneath an open door. I was in the room she was coming into and immediately checked behind that door -- there was nothing there. Of course we also know that animals dream, and we know that our own dreams deal imaginatively with waking experiences we have had, thought about, even fantasized about, and that these dreams usually take place in environments, structures, and situations similar to those we encounter in the environing world in which we currently live.

Soupie also wrote: "Colors, sounds, smells, tastes, feels, etc. are properties of the perceptual system, not properties of what's-out-there.."

No indeed. These phenomenal experiences are combined 'properties' of both the environing physical world and the natural affordances of our and other living species' sensorial access to it. They are the hallmarks of the phenomenological recognition that our experience in the world is a confluence and integration of subjective and objective poles of 'reality' as we experience it. Theorists [and hypothesis generators such as Hoffman], following the ideas nurtured in cognitive neuroscience and computational information theory, reduce and ultimately attempt to erase lived experience, attempt to define it out of existence. People who don't attend to what they are experiencing, and who do not reflect on the nature of their own experienced consciousness and its multiple facets and levels, are vulnerable to taking neuro/techno/'informational' models of consciousness seriously.

You also wrote: "What neuroscientists have been increasingly discovering is that the contents of consciousness correlate with neurological processes."

I think, rather, that what they've long been engaged in is seeking evidence to support the presupposition that consciousness and mind can be reduced to brain activity, i.e., that in their discipline correlation amounts to causation. It's overreaching, and they should have known better. Meanwhile they have largely ignored the exploration, in biology and affective neuroscience, of correlations in protoconsciousness and consciousness as moving from bodily awareness and affectivity in primordial organism to the psychological tendencies in evolving species to react emotionally [at the level of feeling] to perceived events and situations, from threats by other animals to desires to exercise their individual aptitudes in obtaining what they need from a commonly shared environment [supportive niches, expanded territory, competition for mates, desires of various kinds]. The comprehension of what consciousness is absolutely requires the study and investigation of the evolution of consciousness in living species.

Moreover, we need to recognize that what we think begins in what we feel, in the body and in response to what we experience in the physical and emotional environments in which we first take our bearings on the possibilities of what we can do in and with our existence. For us, and for other animals, this means that proper nurture is required for the newly born and the growing young. Our primate forebears already knew this and attended to it far better than many members of our species do in our time.

You also wrote: "The features of the physical world are in actuality features of our perceptual system. Consciousness doesn't supervene on the features of our perceptual system, it supervenes on processes that occur on a level below the features of the perceptual system."

Let us know when Hoffman or someone else can actually prove that. In the meantime that hypothesis remains, as one critic of Hoffman wrote, merely "a framework for a hypothesis." The framework is an as-yet 'wild surmise' that everything evolved and developed in the physical world as we know it (not just on earth but increasingly far afield in the universe) can be accounted for by quantum mechanics, which remains a phenomenon not yet fully understood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back