• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Lehar is just saying that our experience of the skull is inside our brain and the real, physical skull is outside the farthest reaches of the phenomenal world (which would be inside the brain to, beyond the dome of the (phenomenal sky) ... real skulls are bigger than the experienced universe ... then that can make sense to the extent that you say your experiences are "inside the brain" (physical location) but then I wouldn't think that would be thought to be absurd - but Lehar says:
It looks like Lehar's comments were omitted from your post? But I follow you... That's what my original question was; why was Velmans saying this is absurd?

The illusion of the size difference is still present in a monocolored verson, but it is not as powerful as it is with bright orange center circles.

image.jpeg

It looks like Lehar's comments were omitted from your post? But I follow you... That's what my original question was; why was Velmans saying this is absurd?

The illusion of the size difference is still present in a monocolored verson, but it is not as powerful as it is with bright orange center circles.

image.jpeg

I did leave them off - was editing ... just deleted that post to start over ... forgot how hard it can be to edit on here. From the bladerunner paper:

Lehar
I have found a curious dichotomy in the responses of colleagues in discussions on this issue. Many people agree with the statement that everything you perceive is in some sense inside your head, and in fact they often complain that this is so obvious it need hardly be stated. However, when that statement is turned around to say that out beyond everything you perceive is your physical skull, they object most vehemently that that is absurd. And yet the two statements are logically identical, so how can one appear trivially obvious while the other seems patently absurd?

The value of this particular mental image is that it helps to smoke out any residual naive realism that may remain hidden in our philosophy. For although this statement can only be true in a topological, rather than a strict topographical, sense, this insight emphasizes the indisputable fact that no aspect of the external world can possibly appear in consciousness except by being represented explicitly in the brain. The existential vertigo occasioned by this mental image is so disorienting that only a handful of researchers have seriously entertained this notion or pursued its implications to its logical conclusion.

But I'm not sure that statement is right ... 1) that it induces existential vertigo so disorienting ... , I feel like I've had this sense before (somewhat related to the time period I mentioned above and which I can get a sense of at will) and I'm not sure that it universally induces existential vertigo, that everyone would feel that on hearing the metaphor and not just go "yeah" so I wouldn't think that would prevent all but a handful of researchers from pursuing its logical implications

2. that he has Velmans buffaloed ...

Velmans
Given the fundamental nature of the issues, and the positive contributions of his paper, it is a pity that Lehar�s review of preceding and competing positions is often inaccurate and unnecessarily dismissive. For example, I barely recognised my own work on these problems from his summary.

Lehar Max Velmans (1990) revived an ancient notion of perception as something projecting out of the head into the world, as proposed by Empedocles and promoted by Malebranche.
But Velmans refined this ancient notion with the critical realist proviso that nothing physical actually gets projected from the head; the only thing that is projected is conscious experience, a subjective quality that is undetectable externally by scientific means. But again, as with critical realism, the problem with this notion is that the sense-data that are experienced to exist do not exist in any true physical sense, and therefore the projected entity in Velman's theory is a spiritual entity to be believed in (for those who are so inclined) rather than anything knowable by, or demonstrable to, science. Velmans drew the analogy of a videotape recording that carries the information of a dynamic pictorial scene, expressed in a highly compressed and nonspatial representation, as patterns of magnetic fields on the tape.�� Lehar then goes on to criticize this analogy, pointing out, for example, that �There is no resemblance or isomorphism between the magnetic tape and the images that it encodes, except for its information content.�

Velmans I do not revive Empedocles in Velmans (1990) and, as Lehar notes, I do not claim perception to be something physical projecting out of the head into the world. I argue that although information about the world is encoded inside the brain, the world appears to be outside the brain a subjective effect that I call perceptual projection. Lehar agrees that this is how the world appears (I return to this below). While I accept that conscious experience is undetectable externally by scientific means (the problem of other minds), I also accept that it can be and is studied in science in many other ways that combine first- and third-person evidence (cf Velmans, 1996b, 2000b). I do not adopt sense-data theory, or treat conscious experience as a spiritual entity to be believed in rather than anything knowable by science. And in Velmans (1990) I make no mention of a videotape-TV screen analogy to illustrate perceptual projection.� I use this analogy, elsewhere, e.g. in Velmans (1991a,b, 2000a, 2002a,b) to illustrate how identical information can be encoded in different formats, in support of a dual-aspect theory of information that Lehar also adopts. Lehar and I also agree that the phenomenal world must not be confused with the world-itself, e.g. as described by physics (indirect realism), that neural representations must be functionally sufficient to support the 3D phenomenal world, that the information encoded within its phenomenology must also be encoded in the brain, and that the differences between how the phenomenal world and the brain appear can be understood, at least in part, in terms of the same information being accessed or viewed from complementary first- and third-person perspectives (a dual-aspect theory of information). In short, one would not guess from his cursory summary, that apart from a few crucial differences, Lehar's understanding of the consciousness/brain relationship in visual perception is virtually identical to my own.

Lehar and I agree (with Kant) that whether we are subjects� or external observers� we do not perceive things as they are in themselves only phenomena that represent things themselves, and, together, such phenomena comprise our personal phenomenal worlds. In Figure 1, for example, the cat, the subject's head, and the neural representations in S's brain (as they appear to E) are as much part of E's phenomenal world as the perceived cat is part of S's phenomenal world. This applies equally to rulers or other instruments that E might use to measure distance. In sum, to carry out his science, E does not have an observer-free view of what is going on anymore than S does. E and S simply view what is going on from different third- and first-person perspectives. This has extensive consequences (worked out in Velmans, 2000a), but I only have space to comment on one of these here.

• According to Lehar, the 3D phenomenal world in my own analysis is undetectable externally by scientific means, does not exist in any true physical sense and is therefore a spiritual entity to be believed in (for those who are so inclined) rather than anything knowable by, or demonstrable to, science.
  • Nothing could be further from the truth. Data in science consist entirely of observed phenomena that occur in a spatially extended phenomenal world, and the measurements that we make within that phenomenal world are the only ones we have on which to ground our science!

Last edited:
What is the illusion?
Ebbinghaus illusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Neuroimaging research suggests that there is an inverse correlation between an individual's receptivity to the Ebbinghaus and similar illusions (such as the Ponzo illusion) and the highly variable size of the individual's primary visual cortex.[5] Developmental research suggests that the illusion is dependent on context-sensitivity. When testing children aged 10 and under and a sample of university students, the illusion was found more often to cause relative-size deception in adults, who have high context-sensitivity, than deception in young children, who possess low context-sensitivity.[6]"

crucial differences in Lehar and Velmans
What are the crucial differences? Consider the simple model of visual perception shown in Figure 1. Viewed from the perspective of an external observer E, light rays reflected from an entity in the world (that E perceives to be a cat) innervate S's eye and visual system. Neural representations of the entity, including the neural correlates of consciousness, are produced in S's brain. In terms of what E can observe that is the end of the story. However, once the conditions for consciousness form in S's brain, she also experiences a cat out in the world so a full story of what is going on has to combine what E observes with what S experiences (see discussion of mixed-perspective explanations in Velmans 1996, 2000). If we combine E's observations with those of S, an entity in the world (the initiating stimulus) once processed, is consciously experienced to be an entity in the world (a cat), making the entire process reflexive.

the puzzle
But here's the puzzle: the neural representations of the cat (observed by E) are undoubtedly in S's brain so how can S experience the cat to be outside her brain? The effect is natural and ubiquitous, so there must be a natural explanation.
  • Lehar's Gestalt bubble model gives some indications of what is achieved, but doesn't suggest how it is done and at present, we just don't know.

The projection hologram is, of course, only an analogy, but it is useful in that it shares some of the apparently puzzling features of conscious experiences. The information displayed in the three-dimensional holographic image is encoded in two-dimensional patterns on a plate, but there is no sense in which the three-dimensional image is itself in the plate.

• Likewise (contra Lehar), I suggest that there is no sense in which the phenomenal cat observed by S is �in her head or brain.

In fact, the 3D holographic image does not even exist (as an image) without an appropriately placed observer and an appropriate source of light. Likewise, the existence of the phenomenal cat requires the participation of S, the experiencing agent, and all the conditions required for conscious experience (in her mind/brain) have to be satisfied. Finally, a given holographic image only exists for a given observer, and can only be said to be located and extended where that observer perceives it to be[2]! S's phenomenal cat is similarly private and subjective. If she perceives it to be out in phenomenal space beyond the body surface, then, from her perspective, it is out in phenomenal space beyond the body surface.

where is the damn cat?
But this doesn't settle the matter. To decide whether the phenomenal cat is really outside S's head
  • we have to understand the relation of phenomenal space to physical space.
Physical space is conceived of in various ways depending on the phenomena under consideration (for example as 4D space-time in relativity theory, or as 11 dimensional space in string theory). However, the physical space under consideration here, and in Lehar's analysis, is simply measured space. Lehar agrees, for example, that at near distances phenomenal space models measured space quite well, while at far distances this correspondence breaks down (the universe is not really a dome around the earth). How do we judge how well phenomenal space corresponds to measured space?

We measure the actual distance of an object within phenomenal space, using a standardised measuring instrument at its simplest, a ruler, and count how often it has to be placed end to end to get to the object. Although rulers look shorter as their distance recedes, we know that their length does not significantly alter, and we conclude therefore that distant objects are really further than they seem.

Lehar and I agree (with Kant) that whether we are subjects or external observers we do not perceive things as they are in themselves only phenomena that represent things themselves, and, together, such phenomena comprise our personal phenomenal worlds. In Figure 1, for example, the cat, the subject's head, and the neural representations in S's brain (as they appear to E) are as much part of E's phenomenal world as the perceived cat is part of S's phenomenal world. This applies equally to rulers or other instruments that E might use to measure distance. In sum, to carry out his science, E does not have an observer-free view of what is going on anymore than S does. E and S simply view what is going on from different third- and first-person perspectives.

*This has extensive consequences (worked out in Velmans, 2000a), but I only have space to comment on one of these here.
  • According to Lehar, the 3D phenomenal world in my own analysis is undetectable externally by scientific means, does not exist in any true physical sense and is therefore a spiritual entity to be believed in (for those who are so inclined) rather than anything knowable by, or demonstrable to, science. Nothing could be further from the truth.� Data in science consist entirely of observed phenomena that occur in a spatially extended phenomenal world, and the measurements that we make within that phenomenal world are the only ones we have on which to ground our science!
Where is this phenomenal world? Viewed from E's perspective, it is outside his head, and the distance of the phenomenal objects within it can be measured, using standardised instruments that operate on phenomenal space (the distance of this phenomenal page from your eye for example can be measured with a ruler). Viewed from E's perspective, the phenomenal world also appears to be represented (in a neural form) in S's brain.Viewed from S's perspective, things look the same: the phenomenal world appears to be outside her head, and, if she looks, a neural representation of that world appears to be encoded in E's brain.

• Given that the evidence remains the same, irrespective of the perspective from which it is viewed, one can safely conclude (with James) that while a neural encoding of the world is within the brain, the phenomenal world is outside the brain.
As this is how the natural world is formed, there must be a natural explanation (see above). In Velmans (2000a) I have shown how this analysis can be developed into a broad reflexive monism that is consistent with science and with common sense.

what Velmans says Lehar's alternative is (in a word ... absurd)
Now consider Lehar's alternative: It is widely accepted that experiences cannot be seen in brains viewed from the outside, but Lehar insists that they can. Indeed, he insists that E knows more about S's experience than S does and S knows more about E's experience than E does, as the phenomenal world that S experiences outside her brain, is nothing more than the neural representation E can see inside her brain and vice-versa. This has the consequence that the real physical skull (as opposed to the phenomenal skull) exists beyond the phenomenal world. As Lehar notes, the former and the latter are logically equivalent.

Think about it! Stick your hands on your head. Is that the real physical skull that you feel or is that just a phenomenal skull inside your brain? If the phenomenal world reflexively models the physical world quite well at short distances (as I suggest), it is the real skull and its physical location and extension are more or less where they seem to be. If we live in an inside-out world as Lehar suggests, the skull that we feel outside our brain is actually inside our brain, and the real skull is outside the farthest reaches of the phenomenal world, beyond the dome of the sky. If so, we suffer from a mass delusion. Our real skulls are bigger than the experienced universe. Lehar admits that this possibility is incredible. I think it is absurd.
----
smcder Now, is this representation by Velmans fair to Lehar? We have to look at Lehar's response to Velmans' response to Lehar in the bladerunner PDF.

In short, one would not guess from his cursory summary, that apart from a few crucial differences, Lehar's understanding of the consciousness/brain relationship in visual perception is virtually identical to my own.
After reading, and rereading, his paper, this was my conclusion. So I still fail to see why he thinks the whole "dome of the sky" statement is absurd since his approach is—in his own words—virtually identical...

(And you edited in the use of the word ninny, didn't you? Didnt you!?)

crucial differences in Lehar and Velmans
What are the crucial differences? Consider the simple model of visual perception shown in Figure 1. Viewed from the perspective of an external observer E, light rays reflected from an entity in the world (that E perceives to be a cat) innervate S's eye and visual system. Neural representations of the entity, including the neural correlates of consciousness, are produced in S's brain. In terms of what E can observe that is the end of the story. However, once the conditions for consciousness form in S's brain, she also experiences a cat out in the world so a full story of what is going on has to combine what E observes with what S experiences (see discussion of mixed-perspective explanations in Velmans 1996, 2000). If we combine E's observations with those of S, an entity in the world (the initiating stimulus) once processed, is consciously experienced to be an entity in the world (a cat), making the entire process reflexive.

the puzzle
But here's the puzzle: the neural representations of the cat (observed by E) are undoubtedly in S's brain so how can S experience the cat to be outside her brain? The effect is natural and ubiquitous, so there must be a natural explanation.
  • Lehar's Gestalt bubble model gives some indications of what is achieved, but doesn't suggest how it is done and at present, we just don't know.

The projection hologram is, of course, only an analogy, but it is useful in that it shares some of the apparently puzzling features of conscious experiences. The information displayed in the three-dimensional holographic image is encoded in two-dimensional patterns on a plate, but there is no sense in which the three-dimensional image is itself in the plate.

• Likewise (contra Lehar), I suggest that there is no sense in which the phenomenal cat observed by S is �in her head or brain.

In fact, the 3D holographic image does not even exist (as an image) without an appropriately placed observer and an appropriate source of light. Likewise, the existence of the phenomenal cat requires the participation of S, the experiencing agent, and all the conditions required for conscious experience (in her mind/brain) have to be satisfied. Finally, a given holographic image only exists for a given observer, and can only be said to be located and extended where that observer perceives it to be[2]! S's phenomenal cat is similarly private and subjective. If she perceives it to be out in phenomenal space beyond the body surface, then, from her perspective, it is out in phenomenal space beyond the body surface.

where is the damn cat?
But this doesn't settle the matter. To decide whether the phenomenal cat is really outside S's head
  • we have to understand the relation of phenomenal space to physical space.
Physical space is conceived of in various ways depending on the phenomena under consideration (for example as 4D space-time in relativity theory, or as 11 dimensional space in string theory). However, the physical space under consideration here, and in Lehar's analysis, is simply measured space. Lehar agrees, for example, that at near distances phenomenal space models measured space quite well, while at far distances this correspondence breaks down (the universe is not really a dome around the earth). How do we judge how well phenomenal space corresponds to measured space?

We measure the actual distance of an object within phenomenal space, using a standardised measuring instrument at its simplest, a ruler, and count how often it has to be placed end to end to get to the object. Although rulers look shorter as their distance recedes, we know that their length does not significantly alter, and we conclude therefore that distant objects are really further than they seem.

Lehar and I agree (with Kant) that whether we are subjects or external observers we do not perceive things as they are in themselves only phenomena that represent things themselves, and, together, such phenomena comprise our personal phenomenal worlds. In Figure 1, for example, the cat, the subject's head, and the neural representations in S's brain (as they appear to E) are as much part of E's phenomenal world as the perceived cat is part of S's phenomenal world. This applies equally to rulers or other instruments that E might use to measure distance. In sum, to carry out his science, E does not have an observer-free view of what is going on anymore than S does. E and S simply view what is going on from different third- and first-person perspectives.

*This has extensive consequences (worked out in Velmans, 2000a), but I only have space to comment on one of these here.
  • According to Lehar, the 3D phenomenal world in my own analysis is undetectable externally by scientific means, does not exist in any true physical sense and is therefore a spiritual entity to be believed in (for those who are so inclined) rather than anything knowable by, or demonstrable to, science. Nothing could be further from the truth.� Data in science consist entirely of observed phenomena that occur in a spatially extended phenomenal world, and the measurements that we make within that phenomenal world are the only ones we have on which to ground our science!
Where is this phenomenal world? Viewed from E's perspective, it is outside his head, and the distance of the phenomenal objects within it can be measured, using standardised instruments that operate on phenomenal space (the distance of this phenomenal page from your eye for example can be measured with a ruler). Viewed from E's perspective, the phenomenal world also appears to be represented (in a neural form) in S's brain.Viewed from S's perspective, things look the same: the phenomenal world appears to be outside her head, and, if she looks, a neural representation of that world appears to be encoded in E's brain.

• Given that the evidence remains the same, irrespective of the perspective from which it is viewed, one can safely conclude (with James) that while a neural encoding of the world is within the brain, the phenomenal world is outside the brain.
As this is how the natural world is formed, there must be a natural explanation (see above). In Velmans (2000a) I have shown how this analysis can be developed into a broad reflexive monism that is consistent with science and with common sense.

what Velmans says Lehar's alternative is (in a word ... absurd)
Now consider Lehar's alternative: It is widely accepted that experiences cannot be seen in brains viewed from the outside, but Lehar insists that they can. Indeed, he insists that E knows more about S's experience than S does and S knows more about E's experience than E does, as the phenomenal world that S experiences outside her brain, is nothing more than the neural representation E can see inside her brain and vice-versa. This has the consequence that the real physical skull (as opposed to the phenomenal skull) exists beyond the phenomenal world. As Lehar notes, the former and the latter are logically equivalent.

Think about it! Stick your hands on your head. Is that the real physical skull that you feel or is that just a phenomenal skull inside your brain? If the phenomenal world reflexively models the physical world quite well at short distances (as I suggest), it is the real skull and its physical location and extension are more or less where they seem to be. If we live in an inside-out world as Lehar suggests, the skull that we feel outside our brain is actually inside our brain, and the real skull is outside the farthest reaches of the phenomenal world, beyond the dome of the sky. If so, we suffer from a mass delusion. Our real skulls are bigger than the experienced universe. Lehar admits that this possibility is incredible. I think it is absurd.
----
smcder Now, is this representation by Velmans fair to Lehar? We have to look at Lehar's response to Velmans' response to Lehar in the bladerunner PDF.

After reading, and rereading, his paper, this was my conclusion. So I still fail to see why he thinks the whole "dome of the sky" statement is absurd since his approach is—in his own words—virtually identical...

I wanted to see if you were paying attention.

We have to look at Lehar's response to Velman. Lehar says it's incredible himself.

The last part of Velmans'paper says that Lehar insists that experiences can be seen in brains viewed from the outside. The very last part still leaves me confused and I want to see what Lehar's response is - Lehar's response begins on page 56 of the PDF

I read Velmans explanation of how he concludes that phenomenal consciousness, although instantiated by neurons in the brain, is "outside" the real brain. But I don't follow it. I'll have to read it again.

For my own part, i think he confuses things when he talks of locations being in the phenomenal skull, then the real brain, then phenomenal space, then real space, then the dome of the sky, or the phenomenal sky, etc.

He makes it clear that, on his view, the phenomenal sky and the real sky are distinct. So to talk about whether the phenomenal sky is physically (?) located in the real sky or physically located "outside" of the real brain is apples and oranges?

That is, one you concede a difference between real reality and phenomenal reality, discussing phenomenal reality in physical terms seems wrong. (Note that when we typically speak of phenomenal reality, we mean real reality. Eg when I say: "look at the orange circles" and smcder says "what orange circles" I really meant the for-me-orange-circle-causing-stimuli. ) (Same could be said for Lehar's statement about the real skull being "bigger" than the phenomenal sky. You're just inviting confusion.)

Last edited:
I wonder where in physical space Velmans would say dreams, lucid dreams, and psychedelic drug experiences were located?

Where is this phenomenal world? Viewed from E's perspective, it is outside his [ phenomenal ] head, and the distance of the phenomenal objects within it can be measured, using standardised instruments that operate on phenomenal space (the distance of this phenomenal page from your eye for example can be measured with a ruler). Viewed from E's perspective, the phenomenal world also appears to be represented (in a neural form) in S's [ phenomenal ] brain.Viewed from S's perspective, things look the same: the phenomenal world appears to be outside her [ phenomenal ] head, and, if she looks, a neural representation of that [ phenomenal ] world appears to be encoded in E's [ phenomenal ] brain.

• Given that the evidence remains the same, irrespective of the perspective from which it is viewed, one can safely [ infer ] (with James) that while a neural encoding of the [ real ] world is within the [ real ] brain, the phenomenal world is outside the [ phenomenal ] brain.
This is where i think Velmans gets the real and phenomenal worlds confused. (My words in brackets.)

Last edited:
Did you want me to have said that?
OK I see what you're saying now. The way it reads is that you said that Constance said that Soupie said ... bla bla bla, and the lack of quotation marks or formatting led me to incorrectly assume that the quote was over in the first paragraph, and that you were expressing your own opinion after that.

Last edited:
We have to look at Lehar's response to Velman. Lehar says it's incredible himself.

"McLoughlin points out that a volumetric space can be ex- pressed in a sparse, more symbolic code, without recourse to an explicit spatial array, with objects represented as to- kens, with x, y, and z, location, and so forth. There are many aspects of mental function, such as verbal and logical thought, that are clearly experienced in this abstract man- ner. But visual consciousness has an information content, and that content is equal to the information of a volumetric scene in an explicit volumetric representation. Every point in the volume of perceived space is experienced simultane- ously and in parallel. To propose that the representation un- derlying that experience is a sparse symbolic code is to say that the information content of our phenomenal experience is greater than that explicitly expressed in the neurophysio- logical mechanism of our brains.

Velmans’ holographic analogy is very apt. There is in- deed no “picture” as such on a holographic plate, just a fine- grained pattern of interference lines. But for the picture to be experienced by a viewer, or to be available for data ac- cess in an artificial brain, that picture must first be reified out of that pattern of interference lines into an actual im- age again; that is, the holograph must be illuminated by a beam of coherent light. After passing through the holo- graphic plate, that beam of light generates a volumetric ar- ray of patterned light, every point of which is determined by the sum of all of the light rays passing through that point, and it is that volumetric pattern of light in space that is ob- served when viewing a hologram.

So if holography is to serve as a metaphor for conscious- ness, the key question is whether the metaphorical holo- gram is illuminated by coherent light to produce a volu- metric spatial pattern of light or whether the hologram in experience is like a holographic plate in the dark. If it is the former, then conscious experience in this metaphor is the pattern of light waves interfering in three-dimensional space. It is a spatial image that occupies a very specific portion of physical space, and it requires energy to maintain it in that space. This is exactly the kind of mechanism we should be looking for in the brain. If it were the latter, as Velmans suggests, then why would the shape of our expe- rience not be that of the interference patterns etched on the holographic plate, rather than the volumetric image they encode? What magical substance or process in conscious experience performs the volumetric reconstruction that in the real universe requires an actual light beam and some complicated interference process to reconstruct? If it is a spatial structure that we observe in consciousness, then it is a spatial structure that we must seek out in the brain, not a potentially spatial structure that remains stillborn in a non- spatial form. Otherwise, the spatial image-like nature that is so salient a property of subjective experience must re- main a magical mystical entity forever in principle beyond the reach of science."

>> So it seems that Lehar really does conceive of phenomenal space as existing in physical space, namely inside the skull.

Edmond Wright

Lehar (sect. 2.4) justifiably uses the analogy with the television screen employed by Roy Wood Sellars, Barry Maund, and Virgil C. Aldrich (Sellars 1916, p. 237; Maund 1975, pp. 47–48; Aldrich 1979, p. 37), in that the distinction made between the screen-state (of the phosphor cells) and what is judged to be shown upon it is structurally similar to that between the sensory evidence within the brain and the percepts chosen from it. If he accepts the co- gency of this comparison, then he ought to acknowledge that the radically nonconceptual nature of the sensory evidence is implied by this analogy. However much information-theoretic evidence there may be on screen/neural raster, it registers only covariations with light-wave frequencies and intensities at the camera/retina, not any information about recognisable entities and properties (if the TV set was upside down and one had just entered the room where it was, one would be unable to use one’s memories to judge that, say, Ian McKellen as Gandalf was at that moment “visible,” the screen thus revealing its permanently nonconceptual state). So Lehar should accept the criticism made above.

Those anti-qualia philosophers and psychologists who inveigh against the “picture-in-the-head” proposal (e.g., O’Regan & Noë 2002), have always opposed the television analogy. Lehar does not sufficiently defend himself against this attack (sect. 2.3). As I have pointed out (Wright 1990, pp. 8–11), there cannot literally be pic- tures in the head, for, if colours are neural events, actual pictures are not coloured, and the “picture” in the head is. Nor is an eye re- quired for sensing neural colour, for eyes are equipped to take in uncoloured light-waves, and there are no light-waves in the head. Visual sensing is a direct experience for which eyes would be use- less. Gilbert Ryle’s attempt to maintain that one would have to have another sensation to sense a sensation remains as an argu- ment, as Ayer described it, “very weak” (Ryle 1949/1966, p. 203; Ayer 1957, p. 107).

Once this radically nonconceptual nature of the fields is admitted, its evolutionary value can be brought out, which is precisely what Roy Wood Sellars and Durant Drake – the very philosophers that Lehar calls to his aid – insisted upon (target article, sect. 2.3; Drake 1925; Sellars 1922). Sellars particularly stressed the feed- back nature of the perceptual engagement, which allows for the continual updating of entity selection from the fields (altering spa- tiotemporal boundaries, qualitative criteria, etc.), a claim that ren- ders stances such as Gibson’s which take the object as given (amus- ingly termed “afforded”; Gibson 1977), not so much as “spiritual,” the term favoured by Lehar (sect. 2.3), but as literally superstitious.

>> There are a lot of very interesting, rich replies. A nice way to get an introduction to new approaches.

Hoffman

Abstract: Vision scientists standardly assume that the goal of vision is to recover properties of the external world. Lehar’s “miniature, virtual-real- ity replica of the external world inside our head” (target article, sect. 10) is an example of this assumption. I propose instead, on evolutionary grounds, that the goal of vision is simply to provide a useful user interface to the external world.

Lehar asserts that “The central message of Gestalt theory is that the primary function of perceptual processing is the generation of a miniature, virtual-reality replica of the external world inside our head, and that the world we see around us is not the real external world but is exactly that miniature internal replica” (target article, sect. 10, last para.). I wish to consider this assertion of indirect re- alism.

Suppose it is true. Then we do not see the real external world, nor do we hear, smell, taste, or in any other way perceive it. In- stead, we perceive just the miniature virtual-reality (henceforth, mini VR) that we generate. Given this, what empirical grounds might we have for claiming that our mini VR replicates the exter- nal world? Perhaps we could compare objective measures of the external world against psychophysical measures of the mini VR. If mismatches are minor, we would have grounds for the replica claim. This process seems straightforward enough. The basic sci- ences measure the external world, and psychology the mini VR. So we simply compare data.

But this is too fast. It is not just psychologists who perceive only their mini VRs; all scientists, regardless of discipline, perceive only their mini VRs. So how do the basic scientists manage to measure the external world?

The trouble is that every time scientists try to measure the ex- ternal world, whether they look through telescopes or micro- scopes, they see only their mini VRs. They extend their senses with countless technologies, but the technologies and their outputs are still confined to the mini VRs; for if they were not, then, accord- ing to indirect realism, the scientists could not perceive them. Hence, all scientists are confined to perceive only their mini VRs. If they wish to make assertions about the external world, even as- sertions that an external world exists, then these are necessarily, according to indirect realism, theoretical assertions. They are not direct measures. As Einstein notes, “physics treats directly only of sense experiences and of the ‘understanding’ of their connection. But even the concept of the ‘real external world’ of everyday think- ing rests exclusively on sense impressions” (Einstein 1950, p. 17).

So indirect realism does not allow us incontrovertible empirical grounds to assert that our mini VRs replicate the external world. At best, it allows us to postulate an external world as a theoretical construct. Once we take the external world as a theoretical con- struct, then we have many options for the particular form of that construct. We can, as Lehar suggests, propose that our mini VRs are replicas of the external world. This is a particularly simple the- ory and, on the face of it, quite unlikely. Our best evidence sug- gests that mini VRs vary dramatically across species (Cronly- Dillon & Gregory 1991), and there are no evolutionary grounds to suppose that our species happens to be the lucky one that got it right. To assert otherwise would be anthropocentric recidivism.

Once we extend our gaze beyond the replica theory, many other possibilities arise. One class of possibilities is that there is little or no resemblance whatsoever between the external world and our mini VRs, but that instead our mini VRs are simply useful user in- terfaces to the external world, with no more need to resemble that world than a Windows interface needs to resemble the diodes, re- sistors, and software of a computer. Of course, we could not call a theory from this class an “indirect realist” theory because, by hy- pothesis, there is no realism.

>> It is the above logic that had caused me to refer to my approach as "intentional" as opposed to "representational."

Last edited:
Once we extend our gaze beyond the replica theory, many other possibilities arise. One class of possibilities is that there is little or no resemblance whatsoever between the external world and our mini VRs, but that instead our mini VRs are simply useful user in- terfaces to the external world, with no more need to resemble that world than a Windows interface needs to resemble the diodes, re- sistors, and software of a computer. Of course, we could not call a theory from this class an “indirect realist” theory because, by hy- pothesis, there is no realism.

Hmm, I wonder then how all the planes in the air manage to avoid one another and various mountain peaks and how my dentist can predict for me exactly what I'll feel next during his procedures on my teeth. Those are only two of the innumerable ways in which we know that we share a commonly experienced local world grounded in the commonality of our phenomenal perceptions. Re your last sentence, how do you think concepts of 'realism' arise if not from an a priori sense of phenomenal 'reality' as commonly experienced being in the world? Perhaps your confusion stems from a misunderstanding of the terms 'phenomena' and 'phenomenal appearances' as explicated in phenomenology.

Hmm, I wonder then how all the planes in the air manage to avoid one another and various mountain peaks and how my dentist can predict for me exactly what I'll feel next during his procedures on my teeth. Those are only two of the innumerable ways in which we know that we share a commonly experienced local world grounded in the commonality of our phenomenal perceptions. Re your last sentence, how do you think concepts of 'realism' arise if not from an a priori sense of phenomenal 'reality' as commonly experienced being in the world? Perhaps your confusion stems from a misunderstanding of the terms 'phenomena' and 'phenomenal appearances' as explicated in phenomenology.
No one is arguing that humans do not share a commonly experienced local world grounded in the commonality of our perceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back