• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Computer (Router) Help

Free versions of recent episodes:

cottonzway

I was saying boo-urns
I just got a new router and I am having issues getting it to work. What is odd is I hooked it up and modem is running through it now. So it should be working.

However, my it will not work for the laptops or my Xbox 360. When I go to the network connections on this computer it has the Local Area Connections as connected. Above that there is an icon for Internet Gateway, which is disabled. I right click it to enable it and it does not enable. I think this is the issue. Why is this not working?

I have shitty Macafee on this computer. Is it trying to block a firewall connection? I didn't go into the settings to change anything. My computer is working, but wifey is giving me grief so any help on this is greatly apperciated. :)

Thanks. <!--POLLS--><!--FILES-->

What make and model is the router?

Are you trying to connect the laptop to it by cable, or wirelessly?

What OS are you using?

I take it you can see the xbox from the computer on the same network? The fact that you are getting lan access would presume this.

In which case you could log into your router configuration through your browser if you type in an IP in the address bar, it will be something like 192.168.0.1, your router documentation should show you the exact IP along with a username and password to get in. (usually defaulted to something like admin/password).

Once your into the router config there should be a section relevant to the internet connection.

Linksys Router G. Windows XP. Cable via Comcast. Wireless connection to the laptops. The PC is working fine after I got the router to work. It's the laptops that won't work. I never use mine, but my wife uses hers daily.

Linksys Router G. Windows XP. Cable via Comcast. Wireless connection to the laptops. The PC is working fine after I got the router to work. It's the laptops that won't work. I never use mine, but my wife uses hers daily.
An Apple AirPort Express costs a bit more than the generic router. It works on a Mac and a PC. And I mean it works! Consider the possibilities. Routers are the products most often returned to stores because people can't get them to work properly. Most have hideous Web-based interfaces that only a died-in-the-wool geek would love.

The laptops may need a separate program that accesses the wireless configuration if the system software won't let you change anything. My Dell laptop running XP uses an Intel Pro Wireless utility program to see the wireless network and configure the security protocols.

If you don't have it already you may be able to download the software. Just find out what kind of hardware your wireless card is and see if the manufacturer has software for it.

PCs are a pain in the ass to configure routers for. Sometimes the precise order and timing of turning on the modem or the router will determine if it will work or not. Sometimes you have to restart your computer. Sometimes you have to turn off the router and modem and reboot them in the order recommended by the manufacturer. I know. It's stupid but that's PCs for you. I've had to do this a dozen times and it's never easy. Personally I prefer Netgear equipment for reliability. But in reality they all suck for ease of use.

You do want to turn off your virus software and software firewalls temporarily to configure the wireless stuff. Good luck.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :D

As crazy and simple as it sounds, this actually helps reset your connection. A power cycle of the modem and router (unplug & leave unplugged for 30secs), after all units are connected to the network, will usually get your ISP to provide a new IP and re-assess all connections.

I can tell, the quickest way to get through this is probably to call Linksys support directly, as they can walk you through a proper connection routine and provide you any port forwarding info as well as help you set/provide the wireless password for your network.

XBox live could be a major pain for you as I see they no longer support Linksys products. This doesn't mean that brand won't work, it's just that Linksys doesn't provide MS the firmware updates to fully test on their systems, and therefore MS says they can't guarantee a connection,..."It must be a XBox Live compatible brand" for them to do that.

After you talk to Linksys, you can run a Test XBox Live connection from ->Dashboard->My Xbox->System Settings->Network Settings->Test Xbox LIVE Connection, and see where on the connection list you get a fail to narrow the issue, but another sticking point is that only an Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter on the back of your xbox are supported (hmmm-I'm sensing a theme here),...you can also find the place to add your wireless password (provided by Linksys) in that area of the control panel.

Linksys Technical Support US: (800) 326-7114
Window Logo list of compatible routers for XBoxLive: Windows Quality Online Services Windows Logo'd Products List
XBox Live connection troubleshooting : Xbox LIVE Top Support Solutions for NXE | Xbox Support (Get Connected link on the left)

Good Luck mate,..;)

So is the laptop using the wireless card able to connect to the network at all? If it is a situation where all wired links work fine but none of the wireless work, then more often than not the issue is that the security protocol that the router is using is either:

1) Not set up on the devices that are trying to connect or
2) The devices that are trying to connect do not support the current security protocol, this can often be the case if the laptop is getting on a bit.

Its quite difficult to diagnose this sort of stuff at arms length but at the very least I would advise using the wired pc to go into the router settings page and turning off wireless security to see if it is WEP/WPA that is causing the problem.

The only other thing I can think of off hand is the wireless protocol in use, there are a number these days w-b,w-g,w-a etc etc. You can check on the laptop's wireless card device details in the device manager to see what it supports and potentially change the mode if it differs to that of the router itself.

With XP you ought to be able to click on the icon in the taskbar and then click on "View Wireless Networks" Once you get to that screen your own network should appear. Does it show up?

Click on "Refresh Network List" at the top left. Does it show up now? If your network DOES show up, but you can't connect, it's likely a security issue. See if the connection says 'Security enabled wireless network' in small print with a picture of a gold lock on it. If your network does NOT show up, it's likely a transmission issue.

On my router, which is an Alcatel, you have to 'switch on' the wireless feature by accessing the router via the web menu. It has a separate LED that tells you if it's switched on or not. I once had a Linksys, but I forget if they have a similar issue. That would certainly explain your symptoms, though, if the hard wired box works and the laptops don't.

Back