• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Commonly Overused Words and Phrases

Computerspeak is really pissing me off lately too, I notice she didn't include that in the article but WYSIWYG, LOL!.......WTF is this world coming to.

You are now living the last elegant days of the english language.

This also reminds me of mis-pronounced words:

Libary-Library
Birfday-Birthday
Bing-bag chair-Bean Bag Chair
Ball-Headed-Bald-Headed

etc...

NU-KYU-LAR and IRREGARDLESS drive me into fits of rage...

Yeh. Any spin from Bush is annoying.

My mom said irregardless up until around 5 yrs ago when even I got on to her about that. I usually leave people alone about such things, since I'm no grammar expert and it's all made up anyway. I am guilty of some language peeves though.

"I could care less" annoys me. Just shows people don't think about what they are saying, and merely parroting by how it sounds.

I have sort of a communication peeve. If I don't get acknowledged right away. It sorta drives me nuts! (in postings, emails or live conversations). Guess it's a bad habit from scn days or something, lol :rolleyes:

English was/is elegant?

Not since the invention of marketing, which relies on the devaluation of words (along with human experience).
I can't turn on on the radio or TV and hear the idiotic jibbering and entertain for one moment the notion that the English language retains any elegance.

Corporate-speak and the mealy-mouthed neologisms of the terminally earnest helped to finish it off.

Just a few of my personal hates:

a) "Growing the business": it's a not a fucking pot plant, you turd. Shut up. Actually, pretty much any term used by the suit-wearing fraternity merits the same response. Weevils on two legs, the lot of 'em.
b) Any noun which people have suddenly decided to start using as a verb because they're too lazy and stupid to find appropriate verbs. This has reached epidemic levels in the tech field. So my techie brethren, shut up.
c) "Partner" when used of someone with whom you have sexual and just maybe even emotional relations: what a pathetic, bloodless, bureaucratic word for someone who actually means something to you. This usage of the word also deprives the language of precision, since it forces people to explain that they are not actually bonking their business partners. Even if they are. So shut up.
d) The word "energy" when used by anyone of a New Age persuasion. You don't know what the word means, so shut up shut up shut up.

That feels better.

Corporate-speak

AHH yes corporate action words. Its the art of talking without actually saying anything.

Using your fingers to make quotes around a word you say will result in me repeatedly kicking you in the genitalia.

impact, impacted, impacting... I thought them overused the first time someone said "negative impact"
using apostrophes to indicate a plural - for gosh sakes, just add the flippin' "s" or the "ies" or the "es" already! an apostrophe signifies a possessive!

apparently the word 'bias' or 'biased' gets used incorrectly quite often. I havent bothered to look up the correct term, but I think it "Jack has a bias". somehow that gets fucked up.

Back