• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Comments and Questions for Gene and David

Sepherant said:
I think the size and bitrate is fine, but it would be helpful to split the files into two. I only suggest this because, for some reason, IE7's RSS manager errors out on anything over 35 or 40mb. Hopefully this will be fixed by the final release.

Also, it would be ultra-cool if you could give the files proper ID3 tags (Artist, Album, Title... and especially Album Cover).

The question of tags is intriguing, and we might consider it, if there's an effective way to format the file without causing incompatibilities with different viewing/listening situations.

In any case, for reasons we'll tell you about next week, there will be slightly smaller files effective with our November 10th episode, but it's really good news :)

Sepherant,

I'm happy to know that you've been listening to the show. I'd like to address some of your feedback...

- Michael Horn is the front man for what is perhaps the longest running hoax in UFO history, and as such, opens himself up to critical analysis and debate. The typical response from show hosts is to let him spout his nonsense without any critical engagement. He came on our show and we took him to task. I think he's a psychotic jerk, and he certainly made a fool of himself on the show and on these forums. And you know what? We've received many emails thanking us for putting him in his place. The only regret I have about this situation is that we gave him so much time and effort, he's a whack job and deserves no attention of any sort. I sincerely hope that these are the last words about him I ever type.

- As far as my "godliness", anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm one of the most self-deprecating people on this face of this planet. That said, when someone like Horn questions my credentials as they pertain to image processing, well, the fact is that my credentials in that area are simply impeccable - I'm proud of my accomplishments in the field of computer graphics. I think that there have been something like 3 references to my Photoshop skills, and they usually originate from my co-host.

- I've never claimed to be a "UFO researcher", I'm an individual interested in the overall topic of the paranormal, NOT just UFOs. Gene & I talk about subjects as they come up, and while we do indeed engage in some pre-show talk and research, it's not like this is a fulltime gig for either of us. There is no staff, no research budget, and very little time to prep. I think that we do alright, given the work involved with getting a weekly podcast out in a timely fashion. When this actually becomes a "business" for us, if this should happen, I'd be happy to pay a research staff to help us with the incredibly difficult task of sifting through all this material to find some truth. Really, I would be thrilled to be able to put all my hours into this stuff, but my landlord has this nasty tendency of wanting rent each month, and health insurance is wicked expensive in the US.

- As far as hostility, for the life of me I'm not sure what you're talking about. I think we've given every guest the opportunity to present their case, and try not to speak over them. That said, Gene & I are both native Brooklynites, and we don't suffer fools lightly. Opinions are just about as good as it gets in this field, and yes, we both have strong opinions about these topics. I think it makes us quite different from other shows, where the cheerleading and soft questions leave very little meat at the end of it all.

Thanks again for listening to the show, I hope you'll to continue find it worth the free download.

dB

By the way, I think it's very cool that you guys are active in your forums.

Oh, and I never thought you were full of yourself David, just thought that I heard Gene talk about it 8 or 9 times ... and I happened to listen to those three shows within a week or so. It was really all about repetition... sorry if I sounded acidic - sometimes I sound much meaner than I really am.

Gene Steinberg said:
Yes, and no. We don't want to be influenced by our competitors, nor would it be possible to listen to every single episode of every other show, even if we taped them for later examination.

We simply want to do our own thing :)

I disagree with Sepherant on this approach. I don't listen to C2C because of two reasons: first, the only people I've known who did listen to it were annoying to me, and second, because it's on at O-dark-thirty, when normal people are sleeping. Perhaps if I was back on a midnight shift...
That said, I appreciate some of the redundancy of TP in addressing things other shows might have already covered, as the people I am recommending TP to are usually uninitiated to the world of the paranormal investigations, and it is important to keep explaining things that might not have been covered before.

As for David's ego, well, those who think they know everything really annoy those of us who do, and it is important in the flow of conversation to keep restating why we have the authority and responsibility to tell someone to listen to us. If you've ever read "Synergetics", you will remember how Bucky Fuller explained it....again and again and again, until you GET it.

Each paracast has to be listened to as an individual conversation, I think. When I first found the show, I burned about 20 of them to my player at once, and yes, I was tired of the commercials and Photoshop references after that, but I also realize it was my own fault. Anyone talking to me for long periods of time would get tired of my references to DoD jobs, freaky friends, and The Physics That Was.

Thanks again, you guys.

For those people on a dial-up connection that are having trouble downloading all of the episodes due to the file size you might try a download manager. I don't know if this was brought up in the past, just thought I would remind everyone. I used to use GetRight when I was on a dial-up connection and it always worked great. Sometimes I still use it just to queue downloads.

Good suggestion mjw

For those using firefox the "Down Them All" extension is excellent.

"The first and only download manager/accelerator built inside Firefox"

"DownThemAll is all you can desire from a download manager: it features an advanced accelerator that increases speed up to 400% and it allows you to pause and resume downloads at any time"

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/201/

Also Firefox 2 is now available:

Mozilla releases major update to Firefox and raises the bar for online experience

Back