• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Comments and Questions for Gene and David

ozman

Paranormal Novice
Hi all..

.....thought I might start a thread as a place to post comments, questions or sugestions for Gene Steinberg and David Biedny....

Well Gene and David, I have just about caught up with the shows (2 more mp3s to download on my dial-up) and I think your doing a tremendous job.

I respect your good balance of open minds and healthy sceptiscism, that, along with your great interviewing skills, makes for some very entertaining and thought provoking listening - well done guys.

Hello,
I'm a fairly new listener. I have subscribed for a few months. I have enjoyed you show. My interests are really not in the subject of UFO's as most of the shows have been. I have still enjoyed listening.
I realize that the realities of life is that in order for you to do your show you need to have some kind of advertizing to be able to make the show possible, ( I am assuming that, I do not know what your monetary cost situation is for producing your show).
I just find that on your recent shows, when you had the man from crystal X hawking his wares as a guest host. I am feeling that the show is selling out a little too much. It is taking away from your credibility in my opinion. Since I have no idea of the business aspect of putting out a podcast I don't mean to insult if I am totally off base. just how I am feeling about the show.
I will keep listening. Thanks for the work you do.
glenn

glenn40 said:
Hello,
I'm a fairly new listener. I have subscribed for a few months. I have enjoyed you show. My interests are really not in the subject of UFO's as most of the shows have been. I have still enjoyed listening.
I realize that the realities of life is that in order for you to do your show you need to have some kind of advertizing to be able to make the show possible, ( I am assuming that, I do not know what your monetary cost situation is for producing your show).
I just find that on your recent shows, when you had the man from crystal X hawking his wares as a guest host. I am feeling that the show is selling out a little too much. It is taking away from your credibility in my opinion. Since I have no idea of the business aspect of putting out a podcast I don't mean to insult if I am totally off base. just how I am feeling about the show.
I will keep listening. Thanks for the work you do.
glenn

I'm a little confused here. We have never had a "guest host" on the show. It's just David and I and one or more guests. As to the people we invite on the show, that has nothing whatever to do with whether those people advertise on the show. And obviously we do need to run ads, as does every other radio program.

Please clarify.

Really enjoying the show! I listen to three of these paranormal podcasts now (Mysterious Universe, Beyond Science and the Paracast). I have to say that this one is my favourite since you guys really get good guests (with the exception of one I won't bother mentioning) and have in depth interviews that get the guests talking. I hope I can find some similarities of the different topics covered by listening to three of these podcasts and start to pick out the most credible paranormal phenomena.

Once again, thanks for the show!

I've mentioned before and I'll say it again that there should be a podcast out there that specifically deals with de-bunking hoaxes. Just a thought. Maybe if no one makes one, I'll do it haha.

meciar said:
I've mentioned before and I'll say it again that there should be a podcast out there that specifically deals with de-bunking hoaxes.

Think so? lol...you'll like mine when I get it off the ground in a couple weeks.

You making a radio show? Excellent. Hopefully David and Gene won't consider it spam if you post a link to it. ;D

A small technical suggestion

I'm wondering if it is possible to place the file size, next to or in the link to the mp3 files, of your shows.

This may be helpful to people, particularly those with dialup connection (firefox says "unknown file size") where we have to choose a time that our flatmates don't need the phone.

Also a couple of the mp3's I downloaded seemed to be cut a bit short - it would be easy to verify that one has the complete file.

cheers......

Hi all

A minor suggestion. At present Gene seems to be starting a thread that relates to an up and coming show. This seems to be okay for any general discussion thereafter. Unfortunately, the thread regarding Chris Rutkowski and Siouxz Sebek seems to be faltering somewhat. My personal view is that both guests were interesting enough, but their respective topics where so different that a single thread could never fulfill any debate that would be worthy of the input by either of them.

Perhaps it might be better to announce each guest in an individual thread, rather than the show.

The Chris Ritkowski interview did intrigue me but left me feeling a bit bit short about things of interest in Canada. I thought there might be more on the Shag Harbour Incident in 1967 and also some discussion about the Bell Island event in 1978.

Siouxz Sebek, on the other hand was just fascinating. Okay, I think she might be a bit crackers, but how many of us are entirely sane. She certainly stimulated my imagination and gave me some potential starting points for explaining some odd events in my own life.

Ah well, it's just a thought.

Woody

Woody Sideman said:
Hi all

A minor suggestion. At present Gene seems to be starting a thread that relates to an up and coming show. This seems to be okay for any general discussion thereafter. Unfortunately, the thread regarding Chris Rutkowski and Siouxz Sebek seems to be faltering somewhat. My personal view is that both guests were interesting enough, but their respective topics where so different that a single thread could never fulfill any debate that would be worthy of the input by either of them.

Perhaps it might be better to announce each guest in an individual thread, rather than the show.

The Chris Ritkowski interview did intrigue me but left me feeling a bit bit short about things of interest in Canada. I thought there might be more on the Shag Harbour Incident in 1967 and also some discussion about the Bell Island event in 1978.

Siouxz Sebek, on the other hand was just fascinating. Okay, I think she might be a bit crackers, but how many of us are entirely sane. She certainly stimulated my imagination and gave me some potential starting points for explaining some odd events in my own life.

Ah well, it's just a thought.

Woody

Woody, any person who registers on this board can create a new topic, so if you want to separate the two guests into different threads, go right ahead.

ozman said:
I'm wondering if it is possible to place the file size, next to or in the link to the mp3 files, of your shows.

This may be helpful to people, particularly those with dialup connection (firefox says "unknown file size") where we have to choose a time that our flatmates don't need the phone.

Also a couple of the mp3's I downloaded seemed to be cut a bit short - it would be easy to verify that one has the complete file.

cheers......

OK, the two hour shows come in at 41.2 MB and the 90 minute shows are 30.9 MB.

I wish we could make them smaller, but we want to deliver a reasonable amount of quality, somewhere between an AM and FM radio station. We're also locked into a specific encoding scheme, because we want the show to work in Flash-based players, which are used on some of those Podcast sites.

Hello Gene and David. I'd like to thank you both for your very earnest and compelling interviews. I've heard most of your shows, and I think the two of you have set the right tone in your online quest for truth - in territory that pulls many toward sensationalism and take-all-comers credulity, so I'll brook the occasional stumble (sorry Imara). In the furtherance of that truth, I'd like to suggest a future guest for your show that I suspect can add a great deal to that. I recently listened to an archived podcast of the R U Sirius show for the first time, an interview with Joe Firmage http://www.rusiriusradio.com/2006/07/25/show-54-ufos-alternate-realities-the-internet/. While I have some qualms about the show itself, Joe Firmage really impressed me as someone you need to talk to and someone who I'd definitely like to hear more of. I hope you'll look him up - I'm confident you'll find him fascinating and thought provoking. Not to be anti-scientific, but I'll have my fingers crossed.

Gene Steinberg said:
Woody, any person who registers on this board can create a new topic, so if you want to separate the two guests into different threads, go right ahead.

I would have been more of a reader than a writer on both of these. Anyway, I think the momentum may now be gone. It's like a ship having being launched but somebody has forgotten to grease the slipway.

Woody

Gene Steinberg said:
OK, the two hour shows come in at 41.2 MB and the 90 minute shows are 30.9 MB.

I wish we could make them smaller, but we want to deliver a reasonable amount of quality, somewhere between an AM and FM radio station. We're also locked into a specific encoding scheme, because we want the show to work in Flash-based players, which are used on some of those Podcast sites.

I think the size and bitrate is fine, but it would be helpful to split the files into two. I only suggest this because, for some reason, IE7's RSS manager errors out on anything over 35 or 40mb. Hopefully this will be fixed by the final release.

Also, it would be ultra-cool if you could give the files proper ID3 tags (Artist, Album, Title... and especially Album Cover).

Alright, to start off, I've been listening since April and greatly appreciate the work being done. On occasion though, I find myself turning off the show entirely or sitting there and wondering if I actually want to put it on my MP3 player just because of a few minor issues.

This didn't make a whole lot of sense to me at first; if the issues are minor, what's the problem? Then I realized that the problem is that I hear the issues over and over and they compact into a larger vexation. So, in the spirit of constructive criticism, I offer the following observations:

- The Michael Horn allusions are the thuds of a dead horse being beaten. It's really not funny, not entertaining, not thought provoking, nor informational. Can we be done with that, please?

- I'm really not too interested in hearing how godly Biedny is. His magnus photoshoppery aside (which also got a little tiring to hear of), the apparent difference between David and most other people with the same interests is that he's doing a broadcast about it. In reality, I hear much better points and questions from other people who aren't on radio shows. Veneration in extreme and deserved moderation is best for listeners.

- I feel like the topics are quite often not very well researched. When you enter an entertainment/media field (or most businesses) it is really best practice to know exactly what your contemporaries are doing. Many of the Paracast topics are regularly covered on C2C... and yet I often hear a profession of complete ignorance on things like Remote Viewing. So when such information is so widely broadcast on a show like c2c, then it seems like you guys are just living in your own world and don't take into consideration the work that other people are doing in your field.

- Complete nonsense speculation about why some people won't go on your show should be eliminated. It sounds cocky and it sounds like you guys are a couple of snooty second-year college kids with a sack full of self-righteous at your side. This is most recently exemplified in the comment about Doty quaking in his boots because of The Paracast "Bottom Line." The reality is that Doty has been trying to keep himself away from all these types of communications, and has claimed that he wanted nothing to do with Serpo. From what he's said over the past 7 months (which isn't much), he won't come on because he isn't interested in talking about it - it's nothing but trouble for him.

- The bottom line isn't really that at all and in fact ends up working as a form of spin... spin toward whatever David's particular opinions happen to be at the moment. As broadcasters, and more importantly as a couple of guys who have a show section they refer to as the bottom line... when any remaining questions often get referred to as "issues" they are percieved as questions for which there are no existing answers. Semantics maybe, but perception is everything in this business.

- "I find [blank] hard to believe because no one has said anything on their deathbed about it," is not a valid argument for anything[/b]. I've heard this one a couple times on the show. First of all, how would you know what was said on every alleged witness' deathbed? Please realize that a) you're not wearing the witnesses' shoes, b) you're not wearing the deathbed confession recipients' shoes (maybe they all think the dying people are senile, you just don't know), and c) you ultimately have no idea who was told what. There seems to be an impression - perhaps due to the internet revolution - that once one person says something, then everyone knows about it. Obviously, once you think about it, that really isn't the case. This ends up sounding like a Janeane Garofolo anti-UFO rhetoric about why UFOs only appear to uneducated morons that live in wheat fields.

- Commercials need... something. The "world of secret handshakes" one is laughable at first, then a bit embarrassing to hear later. But hey, you only have time for so much. I really know how that is.

- I feel like the approach to the guests is often hostile before the listener has a chance to delve into the gist of what people are saying. That's not cool or respectable. It feels like there's not much room for an open mind. I'm sure you would love specific examples, but it tends to be an attitude that all content can be evaluated and given final judgment simply by reading a few pages on the net and talking to someone for an hour or so.

So, good luck and thanks for the efforts and all the work you're currently doing. I'm an avid fan. Cheers!

Sepherant said:
A
- I feel like the topics are quite often not very well researched. When you enter an entertainment/media field (or most businesses) it is really best practice to know exactly what your contemporaries are doing. Many of the Paracast topics are regularly covered on C2C... and yet I often hear a profession of complete ignorance on things like Remote Viewing. So when such information is so widely broadcast on a show like c2c, then it seems like you guys are just living in your own world and don't take into consideration the work that other people are doing in your field.

If we took that approach, which is to never talk about a subject that has been done in C2C, we'd have a very limited range of coverage, since that show is on 7 days a week, except for repeat episodes.

On the other hand, unlike some shows out there, we aren't afraid to ask the difficult questions and express skepticism about something that doesn't ring true. That may not make much sense from a ratings standpoint, but we want to be true to ourselves first, and hope our approach catches a breeze and a good audience -- and we seem to be moving fast in that direction.

In fact, we have great news that will accompany the change to a Sunday night schedule effective September 10th.

I'm sorry Gene, perhaps I wasn't being very clear... the wonders of communication!

I wasn't suggesting that you only talk about stuf not talked about on C2C, I was suggesting that if you listen to C2C, you may have a broader ground from which to cull your questions.

But again, thanks for everything. Don't want to sound like an ungrateful leech.

Sepherant said:
I'm sorry Gene, perhaps I wasn't being very clear... the wonders of communication!

I wasn't suggesting that you only talk about stuf not talked about on C2C, I was suggesting that if you listen to C2C, you may have a broader ground from which to cull your questions.

But again, thanks for everything. Don't want to sound like an ungrateful leech.

Yes, and no. We don't want to be influenced by our competitors, nor would it be possible to listen to every single episode of every other show, even if we taped them for later examination.

We simply want to do our own thing :)

Sepherant said:
Alright, to start off, I've been listening since ......

...loads of intense stuff...​

...... So, good luck and thanks for the efforts and all the work you're currently doing.
I'm an avid fan. Cheers!

Hmmm. There's quite a lot of steam let off there in one go, eh, Sepherant? As an
individual listener I would like to have this or that on a programme. However, it?s
Gene and David that run the show. They want to use the show as a means to explore
whatever topics they are interested in. Not only that, but they have to do it within the
constraints of who is available for interview, etc, etc.

There are topics that come up that I have no particular interest in. Some of them have
surprised me in how enjoyable the programme turned out (especially the interview
with Jeff Ritzmann). It's not possible, as a listener, to expect shows to order.

Woody

Back