• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Comet Holmes

Free episodes:

Paranormal Packrat said:
Uh, um.... it's tail? no.... ok.... um.... wtf........

I have no idea how this can or should happen. Maybe my astrophysics is incredibly rusty ... but how can it keep its shape?? I take it the comet is moving ... and it must not have that much gravity, surely, to keep such an amorphous body in the shape it is?

One very confused schtick (well it is sunday morning here in NZ ... and I haven't quite finished my coffee yet ... still ... :eek: ... don't understaaand :eek:)

Any ideas??

schticknz said:
One very confused schtick (well it is sunday morning here in NZ ... and I haven't quite finished my coffee yet ... still ... :eek: ... don't understaaand :eek:)

Any ideas??

It's trajectory is heading directly towards us so we can only see it head on for now?

CapnG said:
schticknz said:

Any ideas??

It's trajectory is heading directly towards us so we can only see it head on for now?

He he ... thats true ... schtick calming down a bit now (starting to wake up a bit) ... but still ... holy toledo I'd love to see that comet from the side :D ... very very cool :D

Frootloop said:
CapnG said:
It's trajectory is heading directly towards us

Do we need to "duck n cover" ? ;)

Well, that got my attention.

If you go to ...

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2007/40/fastfacts/

... the orbital parameters show a perihelion of 2.1 astronomical units. Since the Earth's orbit is 1.0 astronomical units in radius, this thing isn't going to come anywhere near us.

I'm going back to my Oreo Ice Cream now.

Back