• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Cold Bug Can Cause Obesity

I don't think there is an easy cure to obesity.

There is an easy cure for obesity: diet and exercise. If fact, diet is 65% of any effective weight loss program. To lose weight, one needs to cut back on "bad" calories (such as added sugars and excessive fats) and focus on eating lean proteins, fruits and vegetables in small portions, several times a day. Additionally, one needs to develop an exercise program to increase their heart rate for a MINIMUM of 20 minutes, 3-4 times a week. Mild to moderate weight training is also an effective addition to this program. As the body develops lean muscle mass, it will require more calories to sustain it and in turn will burn off more fat. This may result in an actual weght gain, yet your body will be leaner and your clothes fit better.

Unfortunately, most people lack the kind of willpower and/or are too lazy to stick to such a plan long enough for it to be effective. It is much easier to blame cold virii, McDonald's advertising, hormones, etc. rather than taking any responsibility for their own actions. Such is the modern world we live in.

A few years ago I had a steroid injection for back problems. I read up on the injection before I went through the procedure. The documentation said there might be slight weight gain, water retention, etc. that should go away. Well, I got the injection, and in three weeks went from 125 pounds to 159 pounds. :eek: The steroid messed with my endocrine system and threw it akilter. Four years later I'm still trying to get rid of some of the weight.

Who knows, if a shot giveth, maybe a pill will take it away!

I find dieting and exercise far from "easy" :frown:
Also any long term lifestyle change is very difficult for most people.
What I meant by easy is taking a pill and this will go away easy. What bothers me too is that good food is alot more expensive and more difficult to find than crap. As much as we were taught that amount of calories we eat vs the calories we burn is the magic equation to weight loss I think it is more complicated.

Cut the MSG out of your diet. I've read that when doing obesity studies on rats, they put lots of MSG on their food to fatten them up. It seems to impair the bodies sense of being 'full.' I dropped about 20 pounds in a year by banning it from my diet. I grow my own veggies. As much as is practical, I gather my own meat. I eat when I'm hungry, no feeding schedule, and despite the fact that I kill a case of beer every 3 or 4 days, I'm still pretty lean. There is also evidence the stuff impairs brain function.

The link between monosodium glutamate (MSG) and obesity

UNC researchers find MSG use linked to obesity

As much as we were taught that amount of calories we eat vs the calories we burn is the magic equation to weight loss I think it is more complicated.

Most North American diets are comprised of a lot of "cheap calories" that are derived from simple carbohydrates. This would include white bread, white flour, white rice, corn syrup and other refined sugars. The problem with these kinds of energy sources is that they are converted to glucose in the bloodstream within 20 minutes of consumption, and then are quickly stored as fat on the body if not burned off by exercise. Whole grains, on the other hand, take much longer to turn to glucose and are easier to burn off before turning to fat. This also explains why whole grain foods seem to make you feel full longer.

Corn syrup (and/or other sugars) is an additive in almost every "low fat" product on the market. This is done because when you remove the fat from something, a lot of the flavour goes with it. To make it more palatable, companies add sugar to make it taste better. Compare the nutrition information on a regular vs. low fat product nect time you are at the grocery store. You will see that the calories are reduced in the low-fat variety, yet the carbohydrate levels are higher.

Excessive consumption of simple carbohydrates in the leading cause of obesity and diabetes in Nort America today. If you want to look at this subject further, I strongly suggest reading Dr. Atkins' (yes, THAT Dr. Atkins) New Diet Revolution. He goes in great detail to explain the insulin cycle and how different carbohydrates affect it.

I don't know if that post was for everyone or just adding to my earlier post but I am all too familiar with blood sugar issues and how food and other factors play a role in all of this and other health problems.

This thread is starting to remind me just how much information and different ideas about weight loss there are out there. Not to mention all the new fads that come and go every year. Do you all remember the juice man guy? I think juicing is great but it is like anything else it works for SOME people.

Corn syrup (and/or other sugars) is an additive in almost every "low fat" product on the market. This is done because when you remove the fat from something, a lot of the flavour goes with it. To make it more palatable, companies add sugar to make it taste better. Compare the nutrition information on a regular vs. low fat product nect time you are at the grocery store. You will see that the calories are reduced in the low-fat variety, yet the carbohydrate levels are higher.

Meaning the low fat product is just as bad for you? (will make you put on weight)

Cut the MSG out of your diet. I've read that when doing obesity studies on rats, they put lots of MSG on their food to fatten them up. It seems to impair the bodies sense of being 'full.' I dropped about 20 pounds in a year by banning it from my diet. I grow my own veggies. As much as is practical, I gather my own meat. I eat when I'm hungry, no feeding schedule, and despite the fact that I kill a case of beer every 3 or 4 days, I'm still pretty lean. There is also evidence the stuff impairs brain function.

The link between monosodium glutamate (MSG) and obesity

now im wondering which one of us is the clone...........

i dont worry too much about MSG myself, but most of the other examples are identical to my own practises with it would appear the same result.

im a big fan of juicing, even my dogs get things like carrot, beetroot and tomato juice added to their food, which is home made and natural, its a lot harder than feeding them a comercial dog food diet, but worth the results

im a big fan of juicing, even my dogs get things like carrot, beetroot and tomato juice added to their food, which is home made and natural, its a lot harder than feeding them a comercial dog food diet, but worth the results
I got a juicer a couple of months ago. Carrot pulp mixed with pancake batter, fried in buttery skillet and drizzled with honey is delicious.
The nutritional benefit of sprouts is a subject worth investigating, also , assuming one is interested.

And on the subject of corn syrup.
http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSTRE50Q5IA20090127?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews

I got a juicer a couple of months ago. Carrot pulp mixed with pancake batter, fried in buttery skillet and drizzled with honey is delicious.
The nutritional benefit of sprouts is a subject worth investigating, also , assuming one is interested.

And on the subject of corn syrup.
http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSTRE50Q5IA20090127?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews

sprouts are great, esp wheat grass, been used as a cure for leprosy ulcers where all else has failed.
im also keen on the idea of genetically modified algae as a source of nutrition like spirulina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary_supplement)

ive started growing sweet potato for the first time this year, having finally sourced some untreated organic rootstock (the supermarket tubers have been treated with a chemical so they wont sprout) and am happy to have added this crop to my collection, the polynesians managed to use it to great effect when they did the island to island migration thing, so its likely to be a good survival food, hardy ,fast growing, decent yeild etc etc.

growing your own food makes sense for so many reasons, and truth be told most people would eat an awful lot less meat if they had to grow and butcher it themselves, meat and 3 veg on the plate every night is just unsustainable on so many levels personal and global.
my dogs eat 10 times the meat we do, its the exception not the rule in our diet, were mostly vegitarian with vegan leanings, but not purists, we eat chicken and fish when it suits us, but a typical meal would be tonites, rice, a spicy lentil and red bean mix some garlic chapati (indian flat bread) and some fried sweet potato shallot and corn fritters, with a salad of cherry tomato and cucumber from the hothouse, dressed with olive oil and lots of fresh chives and dill from the herb garden

where can I invest in that company, you say? ;)

cheques can be made payable to me, in care of my representatives at the firm of

Rippemoff, Scamling, and Crookshank

PO BOX 191
Suckersville, NS
B2B 4V7

shares are $100 each and there is a minimum purchase of 1000 shares to start, please make sure your cheque is certified :)

I choked on my twinkie when reading the article. Finally the truth is outtttttttttttt . . . sorry, the 'T' key got stuck with a little jelly from my donut . . . now I'm getting a little exhausted from all this typing

Meaning the low fat product is just as bad for you? (will make you put on weight)

Low fat products contain less cholesterol and "bad fats" so they should theoretically be better for your heart. However, the added sugars elevate your glucose levels, which cause your pancreas to secrete insulin into the bloodstream and store the glucose as fat on your body.

Many North Americans are overweight because of elevated glucose levels due to diets heavy in refined sugars and other simple carbohydrates. In chronically obese patients, their pancreas goes into overdrive to create insulin as a conditioned response to constantly elevated glucose levels. Eventually, the pancreas can no longer keep up, and the chronic inability to produce insulin due to pancreatic shtdown (aka diabetes) is the end result. Additionally, there is a theory that much of the cholesterol in the bloodstream is a direct result of the insulin cycle, and does not come from any outside source. The question remains as to how much cholosterol is derived form such foods as read meat, and how much is produced in the body from ingested sugars being converted to fat in the bloodstream.

The ingestion of fat in the diet will elevate your blood cholosterol level which can eventually lead to heart disease, however fat does not become fat in the body. In fact, Atkins proved that a diet of 100% fat will cause weight loss in chronically obese patients where no other treatment has worked. I cannot comment on what their artery walls would look like after such a long term diet however.

So yes, low-fat products can be as bad for you (or worse) than their regular fatty counterparts. My advice to anyone looking to lose weight is switch to a diet of lean proteins, complex carbohydrates (brown rice, whole wheat grains, etc), vegetables that are low on the glycemic index, and "good" fats (like fish oil, olive oil and flax seed oil) coupled with 60 minutes of a combination of aerobic exercise and moderate weight training a minimum of three times a week.

Back