• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

coincidence?

alucard

Paranormal Novice
I will try to make this short because it is a rather long way to get to the point. I was talking to a guy named tom and he had quite drinking and was srarting a new life for himself, anyway he decides to take a vacation and as he is driving across the country he was stopping at little towns and staying in little bed and breakfasts. So one night he ends up in a little town in Minn. and decides he wants to check out an a.a. meetingso he finds out where one is and goes. when he gets there, there are a few guys playing cards so he introduces himself. After the meeting was over he was hanging out and the guys were playing cards again and he see's a woman crying by herself so he goes over to her and asks her what is wrong. She tells him it's her daghters birthday and she hasn't seen or talked to her in over ten years. So Tom asks her for her name the daughters and says he will do all he can to help her find her. So tom gets home about 2 weeks later and this woman was watching his house while he was gone and he tells her the story and yep you guessed it , the woman was the ladys daughter but had remarried and changed her name. I was floored when he told me this and I was like no way that did not happen and he said it did and he was stone cold sober for many years ay this point so I walked around for weeks thinking about what ate the odds of that ha[ppening without some kind of, I don't know what to call it, divine intervention and I do not believe in coincedences at all. All I know is I cannot find an explanation for it. Could it have been an angel helping the mother out? who knows but I know there are many such things happening everyday and I believe that. Something to think about .alucard

The 12th of the 12 promises reads, We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Maybe it wasn't just a coincidence.

you are right, I do not believe in coincedences. I don't believe in them at all, everything happens for a reason, what that is I don't know but I do not think there are random coincidences. When you read that you knew it right away. thanks for the feedback. alucard

..It's the natural state of things. That man would never have met his neighbors estranged mother if he hadn't been an alcoholic. Something good comes from all things bad.

-Mike

A few years ago I found myself out of work. I decided to have a "Summer Of Keith" and not bother looking for anything until the fall. One project I took on was to locate my wifes grandfather's grave site.
After weeks and weeks of searching and stumbling around old grave sites I had all but given up. After another fruitless day of looking I was heading home with Jasper my dog when I noticed an old weather sign with the word' cemetery' on it.
When Jasper and I finally got to the graveyard we found my wifes grandfather. I took some pictures and wrote down all the information then started off towards home.
On the drive home I looked down at my note pad and was surprised to read the date of death, June 19th, 1934. The date I found him was, June 19th, 1999, 65 years ago to the day. Coincidence? Most likely but it make for a good fun family story.

Just read a post on another board I frequent where a woman says she had a pet Blue Jay named Jasper. Two Jaspers in one day. Not a common name, but not an earth shattering coincidence either. Sometimes those confirmations are small too.

Why confirmations of a collective something or other? Well, why not?

That is odd. My Jasper (the wonder dog) was name by the breeder. She named the litter after different gem stones. We liked the name so kept it.

Coincidence, Synchronicity & Non-Physical Reality

Simultaneous discovery is the creation of the same new idea at causally disconnected places by two persons at approximately the same time. If for example an American and a British musician, having never had anything to do with one another, arrived at the same musical concept, chord sequence, feel or lyrics at the same time in different places, this is an example of synchronicity.

During the production of The Wizard of Oz, a coat bought from a second-hand store for the costume of Professor Marvel was later found to have belonged to L. Frank Baum, author of the children's book upon which the film is based.

As others have said previously, I too do not believe in random coincidence. What follows is a personal tale of coincidences. These change my view of reality. There is no way I can attribute what ocurred as being "random".

Afterlife - A Tale of Two Grannies
I recently read some postings by people who's world views would not allow the possibility of an afterlife.

Granny #1
My one Gram, Vera [dad] and I never got to know each other well. We lived far apart and we had a falling out of sorts when I was young. She passed away when I was in my teens. I never had the chance to resolve the ?????

Anyway, while living near Buffalo [70's], I spent some time researching "mediums". One, working out of her apartment in Niagara Falls, appeared to be no more than random guesses & charged $30. Another, well known & worked with law enforcement, was better. However, overall things were still pretty vague and the charge was $45.

I then visited Lilydale in south western NYS.
http://www.lilydaleassembly.com
Lilydale is the headquarters of the Spiritualist Religion [mediums] in North America. I had a one hour reading with a fellow named Clyde Yoder, who was in his 80s. Clyde explained that I was to sit, be quiet and listen to what he had to say. [No feedback to assist with guesswork] The reading was broken up into different sections. Things said were right on and very exact.

One portion of the reading dealt with communication from anyone that had "passed to the other side". He said he felt the presence of possibly a Grandmother. "She sends you a bouquet of yellow roses". That was all of the communication. Clyde accepted donations for his readings, but would only accept $5 max.

When I got home, I searched through some books that used to belong to my Gran Vera. In a book on symbology, I found that a single yellow rose symbolized "understanding". Hmm.. I guess that fit with her feeling bad over our never really resolving the issue of which I spoke earlier.

Two weeks later I again found myself looking through one of her books. A scrap piece of paper fell out. Upon it Vera had written the names of my immediate family. Beside each name was one word for what she wanted for each of us. Beside my name was written, "understanding'.

One of my life's interests is probabilities & statistics. When I read that I pondered the chances of this series of events being just a coincidence. I decided that more than random chance was involved. I also took this as a confirmation of an afterlife reality.

I did make a return trip to Clyde in Lilydale. I had another great one hour reading. This time Clyde would not accept any donation, as I had been there only a few weeks earlier. Spiritualism is their religion. Money was not the reason they did this. To me, that makes my experience much more believable.

Granny #2
My other Gram, Isabell [mom], died in the hospital at the age of 97. My cousin Lester and his dog were watching her house at the time. At the time she passed, all the clocks in the house stopped. Over the next couple of weeks, things were noticed being moved. These were mostly photos on display and a key hidden over the front door.

Then one day while Lester was at the house, he noticed an elderly woman walking down the sidewalk. She stopped in front of the house and appeared to be confused. Lester went out to see if she was OK. He ended up bringing her inside to the front porch and had her sit in a rocking chair.

While he was getting her a glass of water, my aunt showed up. When she entered and saw the women sitting in Isabell's rocker she almost fainted. You see, the woman was wearing one of Isabell's dresses.

When Isabell had passed, my aunt donated all her clothes to a local home for the elderly on the other side of town. This woman had received several of Gram's dresses. On this particular day, she went for a walk. The walk ended up being several miles and ended in front of my Gram's house.

Again, the probability of these events being purely random chance is almost nil. There are other items in my past such as once having a house ghost and visits from my wife after she passed. As a result, I have reason to include non-physical existence of our consciousness/soul as part of my model of reality.

I love this topic. The only reason I quoted this post is to get the text large enough sized in the 'Tale of Two Grannies' story so I can read it without me bifocals. :)

I particularly like the 'Wizard of Oz' story. I recall a television show some years back that explored a lot of these 'coincidence' stories. Some of them were mind-blowing - if true.

Coincidence, Synchronicity & Non-Physical Reality

Simultaneous discovery is the creation of the same new idea at causally disconnected places by two persons at approximately the same time. If for example an American and a British musician, having never had anything to do with one another, arrived at the same musical concept, chord sequence, feel or lyrics at the same time in different places, this is an example of synchronicity.

During the production of The Wizard of Oz, a coat bought from a second-hand store for the costume of Professor Marvel was later found to have belonged to L. Frank Baum, author of the children's book upon which the film is based.

As others have said previously, I too do not believe in random coincidence. What follows is a personal tale of coincidences. These change my view of reality. There is no way I can attribute what ocurred as being "random".

Afterlife - A Tale of Two Grannies
I recently read some postings by people who's world views would not allow the possibility of an afterlife.

Granny #1
My one Gram, Vera [dad] and I never got to know each other well. We lived far apart and we had a falling out of sorts when I was young. She passed away when I was in my teens. I never had the chance to resolve the ?????

Anyway, while living near Buffalo [70's], I spent some time researching "mediums". One, working out of her apartment in Niagara Falls, appeared to be no more than random guesses & charged $30. Another, well known & worked with law enforcement, was better. However, overall things were still pretty vague and the charge was $45.
I then visited Lilydale in south western NYS. http://www.lilydaleassembly.com
Lilydale is the headquarters of the Spiritualist Religion [mediums] in North America. I had a one hour reading with a fellow named Clyde Yoder, who was in his 80s. Clyde explained that I was to sit, be quiet and listen to what he had to say. [No feedback to assist with guesswork] The reading was broken up into different sections. Things said were right on and very exact.

One portion of the reading dealt with communication from anyone that had "passed to the other side". He said he felt the presence of possibly a Grandmother. "She sends you a bouquet of yellow roses". That was all of the communication. Clyde accepted donations for his readings, but would only accept $5 max.

When I got home, I searched through some books that used to belong to my Gran Vera. In a book on symbology, I found that a single yellow rose symbolized "understanding". Hmm.. I guess that fit with her feeling bad over our never really resolving the issue of which I spoke earlier.

Two weeks later I again found myself looking through one of her books. A scrap piece of paper fell out. Upon it Vera had written the names of my immediate family. Beside each name was one word for what she wanted for each of us. Beside my name was written, "understanding'.

One of my life's interests is probabilities & statistics. When I read that I pondered the chances of this series of events being just a coincidence. I decided that more than random chance was involved. I also took this as a confirmation of an afterlife reality.

I did make a return trip to Clyde in Lilydale. I had another great one hour reading. This time Clyde would not accept any donation, as I had been there only a few weeks earlier. Spiritualism is their religion. Money was not the reason they did this. To me, that makes my experience much more believable.
Granny #2
My other Gram, Isabell [mom], died in the hospital at the age of 97. My cousin Lester and his dog were watching her house at the time. At the time she passed, all the clocks in the house stopped. Over the next couple of weeks, things were noticed being moved. These were mostly photos on display and a key hidden over the front door.

Then one day while Lester was at the house, he noticed an elderly woman walking down the sidewalk. She stopped in front of the house and appeared to be confused. Lester went out to see if she was OK. He ended up bringing her inside to the front porch and had her sit in a rocking chair.

While he was getting her a glass of water, my aunt showed up. When she entered and saw the women sitting in Isabell's rocker she almost fainted. You see, the woman was wearing one of Isabell's dresses.

When Isabell had passed, my aunt donated all her clothes to a local home for the elderly on the other side of town. This woman had received several of Gram's dresses. On this particular day, she went for a walk. The walk ended up being several miles and ended in front of my Gram's house.

Again, the probability of these events being purely random chance is almost nil. There are other items in my past such as once having a house ghost and visits from my wife after she passed. As a result, I have reason to include non-physical existence of our consciousness/soul as part of my model of reality.

fwiw this epidode won't be available for download until Monday but if its on your local NPR station this weekend it might be worth checking out

fwiw this epidode won't be available for download until Monday but if its on your local NPR station this weekend it might be worth checking out

Okay, so how is this for 'coincidence' - off I was today (after reading this thread) doing errands and decided to give the car a wash. As I am waiting in line for a wash - the detail center I frequent is insanely busy always, they do such a good job - I decide to turn on the radio and it's already on NPR - and its the show on 'Coincidence'. :eek: What a coincidence! :D

BTW - the NPR show is from 'This American Life' - I think, and it's a year old - it's a re-run. For some reason I am completely blanking on the stories they told - which were all very cool. I heard the end of the show.

I also have a very jazzy 'coincidence' story myself - or something that happened to someone I know - but I'm completely blanking on it right now. :rolleyes: It'll come.

Back