• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Catholic Church blasts 9-yr-old rape victim, family for abortion

Fluoride Drinker

Skilled Investigator
This is why I'm starting to really hate religion. Please read this disturbing story:

Doctors and Mother of 9-year-old Rape Victim Excommunicated in Brazil

A nine-year-old Brazilian girl recently conceived twins when she was raped by her stepfather. While abortion is illegal in Brazil, special dispensation can be given by judges if carrying the pregnancy to term would threaten the life of the mother. A judge gave permission to terminate the pregnancy because the girl weighs only 80 pounds and according to Fatima Maia, the director of the hospital where the abortion was performed, "Her uterus doesn't have the ability to hold one, let alone two children." The Catholic Church, however, doesn't see it that way. A lawyer for the local archdiocese told a Brazilian paper that the girl should have delivered the twins through a cesarean section. "It's the law of God: Do not kill. We consider this murder," Marcio Miranda told a Brazilian newspaper. The archdiocese went even further; Archbishop José Cardoso Sobrinho declared that the girl's mother, the doctors who performed the operation, and anyone else involved in the abortion was considered to be excommunicated. The statement has drawn fire from both politicians and the Archbishops fellow theologians. Archbishop Cardoso Sobrinho has responded by saying that the persons had excommunicated themselves through their actions: "I did not excommunicate anyone," he said. "Just remembered the church’s law which says they are automatically excommunicated." Unfortunately, Frances Kissling says, the case isn't that unusual in Latin America, although the controversy over it might be. She puts the recent case in a broader context, citing other cases and their resolutions. She notes also that "No mention was made of excommunicating the stepfather who had raped the nine-year-old child."

Doctors and Mother of 9-year-old Rape Victim Excommunicated in Brazil | CarnalNation

I read that a few days ago, and was disgusted. That said, maybe the Catholic Church has done these people a favour by excommunicating them, if that's its attitude. They're probably better off without such an influence in their lives, even if they don't realize it at the moment.

I read that a few days ago, and was disgusted. That said, maybe the Catholic Church has done these people a favour by excommunicating them, if that's its attitude. They're probably better off without such an influence in their lives, even if they don't realize it at the moment.

my thoughts exactly

If they had any decency they should have at least excommunicated the step father who raped the little girl for 3 years. These religious freaks have no sense, logic or reason and are living by outdated rules that are not moral at all. They need to get their priorities straight.

I was beheaded in church once for not wearing black socks. Thankfully, my soul lied on my feet. Not my head.

well, as an admitted Catholic, I have been trying to stay out of this. However, without knowing all the sources, or viewing the reports myself, I still find this incredibly disturbing. I have my own views on abortion, but I would not, in any circumstances, want to impose them upon a 9-year old victim of rape.

What I would like to impose upon the stepfather, on the other hand, involves a rusty lid from a tin can and lots and lots of blood and screaming... no death, mind you, as that would be murder, wouldn't it, and we all know that is wrong. ;)

"well, as an admitted Catholic,"

You've admitted it? Missed it. Til now. Thanks for not throwing holy water on me.

I never said they were always right, and they are subject to fanaticism like any religion. However, as an adult, with free will, I still choose that church/religion over what else is out there.

I never said they were always right, and they are subject to fanaticism like any religion. However, as an adult, with free will, I still choose that church/religion over what else is out there.

First sentence. I don't think I implied you did. If I did, I am deeply sorry. From what I recall, I made a joke about you confessing to being catholic. It was a joke. And a compliment. I was surprised you are religious, because most people I talk with that say they are, lack your intelligence.

First sentence. I don't think I implied you did. If I did, I am deeply sorry. From what I recall, I made a joke about you confessing to being catholic. It was a joke. And a compliment. I was surprised you are religious, because most people I talk with that say they are, lack your intelligence.

No offence taken, I was only clarifying my opinion on the Church's dogma and tenets, that's all. If they were always right, we would all be Catholic.

I have figured it out that if you want to insult someone, you don't do it with a smile as you shove the knife in, so no worries on my taking offence where none was intended.

On the religious part, I don't think I am, I just have a 'druther' of all the churches out there. I think there is a huge difference between believing in God and believing in religion.
I prefer to put my faith in God, rather than religion.

but thanks for making sure I understood your post, words don't always accurately translate thoughts and sentiment behind statements, do they?

If they had any decency they should have at least excommunicated the step father who raped the little girl for 3 years. These religious freaks have no sense, logic or reason and are living by outdated rules that are not moral at all. They need to get their priorities straight.

If they had any decency they should have killed the sick bastard, helped her with the abortion cost, provided counseling to the girl, and helped find a good home where a child could not be victimized by those who are supposed to be protecting and providing for her. Oh, and it wouldn't be murder it would be justice!

That the church has allowed this to unfold the way it has is inexcusable.

Back