• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Budd Hopkins episode

DaveM

Paranormal Adept
This episode about Budd Hopkin's autobiograhy was like a breath of fresh air. It was good to hear of Hopkin's various interests other than the abduction regressions he has been involved in. I particularly enjoyed Budd talking about some of his fellow artists he has know over the years. A well done episode, Gene & Dave.

While perhaps some of the most paranormal topics in this episode were some of the personalities he came across like Pollock, I still loved this episode. I could totally listen to that guy talk about his life and experiences for hours on end. Great job guys!

I listened to this whole episode while working on the computer even though it really was not that interesting or on topic. I think that says a lot for the Paracast. David's a good interviewer even while off on tangents. Of course, it didn't hurt that Hopkins is also a good interviewee.

I would like to know, though, if Bud Hopkins actually has any training or professional qualifications in the field of counseling or psychology to do what he does with those abductees.

Budd does not have any professional qualifications in field of counseling or psychology.

I have been on his couch as a patient and he is a very sensitive and insightful person. He has a very supportive tone, and I found him extremely thoughtful. He tried to do a hypnosis session on me, but nothing came up. I have a recording of the session, and I can say from experience that he did NOT lead me in any way.

I'll also say, during one visit I showed him my sketchbook. I have a drawing style that is a bit cartoony, but I'll occasionally draw from life attempting to be a little more literal. He took the time to look at all the drawings in the sketchbook, and he was extremely complimentary.

I was in a really vulnerable state when I met with him, and he was very kind. I have heard criticism toward his techniques, but I have only praise.

Thanks David & Gene for a very thoughtful interview.

As someone who holds an interest in both the paranormal and art...I really enjoyed this episode of the Paracast. It was good to hear other facets of Budd's life. Good show.

His recounting of his parents experience listening to the original 'War of the Worlds' broadcast was extremely fascinating. Ive known for a while that people took it seriously, but I guess I never really gave the whole thing much thought.

To hear first hand how people were freaking out and thinking it was a real attack was really an eye opening experience. I think there actually might be something to the whole "there wont be disclosure because of how the public reacted to the WotW broadcast".

I agree with Crow. It's refreshing to hear someone as interesting as Hopkins talk about other experiences. He has had a very rich and successful live, and we all have a lot to learn from such people.

He spoke to the hypnosis question in some interview or other, I don't recall where. He said he started out having a psychologist or someone trained in hypnosis for the first hundred or so sessions, and finally realized he was perfectly capable of doing the sessions himself. Experience counts more than some document to most people. I have to say I have known some psychologists I would not let near me in a clinical setting, but I would trust Budd Hopkins with any regression.

Just for the record, I've been present at a hypnosis session conducted by Budd, and at no time did I feel he presented anything even vaguely resembling a leading question. And before anyone asks any questions regarding the details of said session, I'm not at liberty to discuss any further details about it.

dB

I totally agree mikec. Budd is very supportive. He helped me as much as he could at the time. I just listened to the Aug. 17, 2008 show and at 26 minutes he talked about one of my experiences with my brother and our wives (wow -didn't know I scared the hell out of him) I was seriously in denial at that time and was still hoping he was a nut and this whole thing was a cult. Ha... regretfully not. Anyways he's a kind and very thoughtful man who has sacrificed a huge amount trying to help.

I have a hard time contributing properly on this forum (dealing with a bit of anger right now), but I am very thankful to this show, it's reminiscent of the way my mother used to hide a foul tasting pill - inside a chunk of raw honey.

dB,

You mentioned Greer's body language in the eisode. Apart from the messiah complex the married man has other issues to disclose ... :rolleyes:

I enjoyed listening to Hopkins talk about his experiences in the world of art, talk about a paranormal field!

Yes David, show us your BLEEP.:D

Kindly stop editing my posts. It was funny the first time, but now it's just passive aggressive and lame.

Kindly stop editing my posts. It was funny the first time, but now it's just passive aggressive and lame.

Sorry, you insist on insulting me, I'm going to take actions to stop it. You don't like it, blow off.

Actually, on second thought, you're banned. I have enough frustrations and stress in my life. Sayonara.

dB

Good to hear DB back in action, you asked some great informed questions (helps that you did the work and read the book!)

The stuff about Pollock was cool. I don't follow art at all but saw the Ed Harris movie last week by total coincidence, so it was interesting to hear first hand how he was towards the end.

The story about Cronkite and Robin Leech was great stuff! Also cool to hear his opinions on Greer and company. Budd sounds like a great guy.

While I only have very limited knowledge of Budd's work, I don't know where I stand on his opinions. He's obviously not a board certified doc and Ive gotten the impression he seems to focus more on certain parts of the phenomena (scary medical tests etc....) more than others (high strangeness). Not to take away from his work or methods, more that I keep in mind that any interpretation of his findings are his opinions. His story about Sagan was interesting and kind of symbolic of how mainstream science deals with this issue - deny it's possible and then fail to do any thorough follow up on the topic. Budd's argument about the importance of testimony is important in dealing with a phenomena that is so fleeting I think as well.

On a side note, I saw the preview for George Clooney's new movie based on a book I read a couple years ago - "The Men Who Stare At Goats", about the remote viewing program in the army. Looks like it could be good, although it has a comedic tone which can take away from the seriousness that the military pursued this, but at the same time, how could you not be a little comedic when a guy stares at goats for several hours trying to the kill them.

Good to hear DB back in action, you asked some great informed questions (helps that you did the work and read the book!)

You sure hit that nail on the head! As I allow my Paracast addiction to maintain its hold on me, I always find myself impressed by David's deep background knowledge in such diverse areas. This show was another occasion for that. Honestly, we're very fortunate to have a guy like him (and you, too, Gene!!!!) choosing to spend two hours of his time with us every week, and even MORE hours responding to us here.

And just what an enjoyable program! I thoroughly enjoyed learning more of the background and personal experience of one of the Paracast regulars. It felt as though we were all in a coffee shop together for a couple of hours getting to know Mr. Hopkins, and our hosts. I hope there are more programs like this when other "regulars" kick their shoes off and just allow us to get to know them better.

And on another subject ...

... how could you not be a little comedic when a guy stares at goats for several hours trying to the kill them.

What do you mean????? That's not funny at all!!!!! :rolleyes:

515530490_24c69626b2.jpg

People have naïve ideas about what it means for a therapist to lead a subject. It can be much, much more subtle than asking a leading question.
A lengthily pause can say “You MUST have more to say,” or “I disapprove of what you say.”
Think of how a simple change in emphasis completely changes the meaning of “I see” or “go on.”
If the subject’s eyes are open, there’s the whole matter of the therapist’s non-verbal behavior.
All of these things can steer a subject in a given direction.
I would argue that it is impossible for an amateur, self-trained therapist, who has strongly held opinions on a subject NOT to lead a subject. There are reasons that psychologists go through months, even years of psychotherapy before they are turned loose on patients. It’s to help them become aware of their biases and their phobias so they can avoid projecting them on to the people they are trying to help.
I think Bud Hopkins is a dear man who is bright, compassionate and wants nothing more than to help his fellow man. In spite of that, when he delves into hypnosis it is close to practicing medicine without a license. I fear that he may be harming the people he is trying to help.
And there is the whole idea that underlies all of this, that the mind works like a video recorder and hypnosis can be used to rewind it and play back past experiences. Certainly our legal system doesn’t accept that. Frankly, I don't think anyone should.
Bluecat

I stopped listening to the episode when it degenerated into politics. I can get the same caliber of political analysis from MSNBC or Joy Behar.

---- Steve.

Back