• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

BTW, just a note on the closed "Roswell" thread

spookyparadigm

Skilled Investigator
There is a correlation between education level and interest/belief in UFOs, except not that which was suggested. In the US, the more education one has, through to the BA/BS level, the higher interest/belief there is in the subject. Once you hit the graduate school level, it declines. At least one skeptic has suggested this is due to UFOs being a competitor or otherwise not compatible with religion, and by and large more education goes with more secularism. Such an approach ignores that there are plenty of Christians who also have an interest in UFOs etc., though of course others think them demonic. Another suggestion is that many Americans tie UFOs into a general interest in scientific topics, even if educators and researchers generally would not, and I think that is a possibility.

I know of no really good demographics on people who actually experience/report UFOs. I've seen demographics for abduction, but the numbers were quite small, they did however mirror the general populace or tend to be slightly more educated, and again debunks the "abductees are toothless hicks from Arkansas" stereotype. Brenda Denzler gives some in an appendix to her book Lure of the Edge, while others are in the article

Supernatural Support Groups: Who are the UFO Abductees and Ritual Abuse Survivors? - Christopher D. Bader, which can be read here

http://www.isreligion.org/pdf/bader_ufo.pdf

There is a correlation between education level and interest/belief in UFOs, except not that which was suggested. In the US, the more education one has, through to the BA/BS level, the higher interest/belief there is in the subject. Once you hit the graduate school level, it declines. At least one skeptic has suggested this is due to UFOs being a competitor or otherwise not compatible with religion, and by and large more education goes with more secularism. Such an approach ignores that there are plenty of Christians who also have an interest in UFOs etc., though of course others think them demonic. Another suggestion is that many Americans tie UFOs into a general interest in scientific topics, even if educators and researchers generally would not, and I think that is a possibility.

I know of no really good demographics on people who actually experience/report UFOs. I've seen demographics for abduction, but the numbers were quite small, they did however mirror the general populace or tend to be slightly more educated, and again debunks the "abductees are toothless hicks from Arkansas" stereotype. Brenda Denzler gives some in an appendix to her book Lure of the Edge, while others are in the article

Supernatural Support Groups: Who are the UFO Abductees and Ritual Abuse Survivors? - Christopher D. Bader, which can be read here

http://www.isreligion.org/pdf/bader_ufo.pdf

I mentioned both these pieces of research in this thread if you are interested. Jonah (further down the thread) raised a valid criticism related to Bader work, that I had somewhat clumsily overlooked.

In another thread, I mentioned that I went to a "UFO Seminar" in the Midwest, in the mid-90s. I won't mention the name of the creep who put it on, since he already gets way more attention than he deserves. He had done a good job of saturating the radio outlets in the area for a few days before the event, so there was a good turnout.

The most striking thing about that event, for me at least, was the makeup of the crowd. I recall thinking at the time that if you took a random sample of the adults in that small city, it would look a lot like the folks in that conference room. There were people from all walks of life, diverse ages, ethnic or racial backgrounds, apparent levels of education. If there was a group that I thought might be under-represented, it was the hicks from the sticks with all sorts of wild ideas about how the world worked and who was in charge. In other words, the very group that so many people assume are the only ones who see or care about UFOs. We had plenty of those around there, but I don't recall seeing or hearing any at the Holiday Inn that evening.

The demographics of that event were no doubt skewed somewhat by business travelers and others who moseyed on down to the lobby and paid their $10 just for the entertainment, but the general nature of the crowd was overwhelmingly one of polite, intelligent people who were genuinely curious about the UFO subject.

Like so many other stereotypes, this one does not stand up to even the most basic investigation or experience. Yet the "experts" continue to parrot the nonsense.

In another thread, I mentioned <snip>Like so many other stereotypes, this one does not stand up to even the most basic investigation or experience. Yet the "experts" continue to parrot the nonsense.

As far as I can tell Donald Warren (1970) was the first 'academic' to suggest a link between social and economic situation and encounters with UFOs. Warren subscribed to the the 'social marginality hypothesis', however his study was based on the 'contactee' movement prevalent at the time, and certainly was not representative of the more general 'normal' sighting associated with 'UFOs'.

Unfortunately this media perception has stuck despite the many contrary study's (e.g. Sheil & Berg 1977; Emmons and Sobal 1981; Zimmer 1984 etc). I'm not entirely sure what 'experts' you mean!

'social marginality hypothesis', however his study was based on the 'contactee' movement prevalent at the time, and certainly was not representative of the more general 'normal' sighting associated with 'UFOs'.

Unfortunately this media perception has stuck despite the many contrary study's (e.g. Sheil & Berg 1977; Emmons and Sobal 1981; Zimmer 1984 etc). I'm not entirely sure what 'experts' you mean!

On a side note if anyone knows of previous study's that support/don't support the 'social marginality hypothesis' please let me know.

"Experts" as in debunkers. The quotation marks are important, as the debunkers and their ilk like to pretend to be well informed in all manner of things they are actually clueless about.

I mentioned both these pieces of research in this thread if you are interested. Jonah (further down the thread) raised a valid criticism related to Bader work, that I had somewhat clumsily overlooked.

The criticism is valid when it comes to the abductee groups, since they are indeed self-selecting groups.

However, the survey of interest/belief in UFOs vs. education level and other demographics was a more across the board poll. I'm trying to remember the source. Zimmer studied college students, IIRC, this was a different survey, one I saw in an article in the edited volume Cult Archaeology and Creationism, where the authors were examining various beliefs and education, region, other demographics, and were surprised to find the education/UFO correlation.

Back