• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Browser Help please

Stillborn

Skilled Investigator
Wondering if any of you can help me out with an annoying problem I've been having with my Firefox browser. When I go to click on my bookmarks to open up the list, most of the time it acts as if I want to bookmark whatever page I'm on. Anyone ever run into this problem? I think it started occurring when I downloaded Real Audio player with the download video button enabled. You know, the option that lets you download youtube videos etc. Thanks for any help.

If it is indeed the Real plug in (which I don't have, nor your issue), you can remove that and still get your same desired functionality from the DownloadHelper add on (from the FF website). Look into your Tools / Add Ons , then go to the Plug Ins button and see if you can remove just the Real add on without having to uninstall Real Player altogether, then test... if it fixes the issue then install DownloadHelper and you'll be rockin.

Also, around the same time another problem started happening too. I had some major viruses and removed them, but maybe some files got taken instead of healed. When I go within a file folder and try and create a new folder, I just get a "new" option 3 or five times before I can actually get the "folder" option. Any ideas? I have a new hardrive I'd like to use as a backup, but want this stuff fixed before I copy things over. Or will it matter? This sound like registry problems maybe? Sorry, don't know much about computers.

Aaron, so basically you move the cursor up to "Bookmarks" up the top and press left button on mouse. This then adds the current page as a bookmark, rather than simply activating the drop-down menu of Bookmarks options? Thats correct?

If so, then thats really weird. Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing Firefox? You wont lose any bookmarks/settings if you do this.

Could you be a bit more clear about the new folder thing? So when you right click you get a menu sort of like this? -
New
New
New Folder

Yeah?

I would suggest in this type of situation to backup all of your personal files and do a complete hard drive wipe and re-installation of Windows and all programs... it's about the only way to know *for sure* that everything is put back to full, proper working order.

Once you get everything put back and before you start going back onto the web you could then use a program like DriveImageXML to make an image of your drive that can be restored back to identical condition should you ever have your machine compromised again.

I personally wipe and restore every now and then to insure that I have a clean, secure system, because you just never know what all has gotten in and found a nice little hiding place in such a complicated system as a computer / OS and all of its programs!

It doesn't add it, but the prompt to add it comes up. I have to click cancel and try again. My quick fix has just to press alt b. I think I have tried to reinstall, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

I just get a option that says "new" most the time. After 3 or five times of this, the "folder" option comes up.

I use Windows XP by the way. Latest version.

Aaron, so basically you move the cursor up to "Bookmarks" up the top and press left button on mouse. This then adds the current page as a bookmark, rather than simply activating the drop-down menu of Bookmarks options? Thats correct?

If so, then thats really weird. Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing Firefox? You wont lose any bookmarks/settings if you do this.

Could you be a bit more clear about the new folder thing? So when you right click you get a menu sort of like this? -
New
New
New Folder

Yeah?

It seems that it was indeed the real audio download button that screwed things up. I uninstalled it and things have been working correctly since.

Back