• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Briton loses extradition fight over US military hacking by Mark

A.LeClair said:
"The British national Gary McKinnon today lost his high court bid to avoid extradition to the US for allegedly carrying out the "biggest military computer hack of all time"."

Briton McKinnon loses extradition fight over US military hacking

I'd love to see the details of "the damage" caused by McKinnon - everything I've read about his activities point to an 'amateur' snooping around various 'unsecured' machines in low-security admin facilities. According to him, he just logged onto NT machines where the default admin account password was still set to the installed default, of which *there were many*, with a view to finding info about UFOs.

Seems to me like they're making an example of him rather than tackling their own woeful network security issues...or perhaps that's where the '$700,000 dollars of damage' comes from - that could be the money they spent plugging the 'holes' that he exploited...

Good luck to Gary. I don't have much hope for his "I was snooping for UFO's" defense. Especially since it ends with "Well, I found one, but I was too stoned to hit the screen capture button, and it wasn't in my broswer cache".

Hopefully he does less time than the average murderer . . . I wouldn't take any bets on it though.

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
Good luck to Gary. I don't have much hope for his "I was snooping for UFO's" defense. Especially since it ends with "Well, I found one, but I was too stoned to hit the screen capture button, and it wasn't in my broswer cache".

Hopefully he does less time than the average murderer . . . I wouldn't take any bets on it though.

-DBTrek

The above is a decent summary of my views.

I'm still trippin on the dial up that was used.

Back