• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Books?

Red

Paranormal Adept
I will admit that despite a almost a life long interest in the subject, I haven't read a lot of recent books on the topic. I have read Disclosure and I read Communion a number of years ago. I have access to a couple of old IUR issues.
I plan on obtaining a couple of Jacques Vallee's books, but I am hoping that other forum members might give their recommendations.
If I remember correctly from an episode of the Paracast, David was trying to get a copy of the Conscious Universe. Is it any good? And I think another book from Project Gutenberg about an investigation of a haunting was recommended on another episode, but the name escapes me.

I will admit that despite a almost a life long interest in the subject, I haven't read a lot of recent books on the topic. I have read Disclosure and I read Communion a number of years ago. I have access to a couple of old IUR issues.
I plan on obtaining a couple of Jacques Vallee's books, but I am hoping that other forum members might give their recommendations.
If I remember correctly from an episode of the Paracast, David was trying to get a copy of the Conscious Universe. Is it any good? And I think another book from Project Gutenberg about an investigation of a haunting was recommended on another episode, but the name escapes me.
There's a bunch of threads with various recommendations.

Anyway, next to the obvious and excellent Vallée, I personally have some recommendations.

BOOKS ABOUT UFO's

Stanton Friedman's "Flying Saucers and Science" (2008 ). Agree or disagree? It's an enjoyable, albeit ETH focused, read. MJ12's notwithstanding.

Micho Kaku's "Physics of the Impossible" (2008 ). Fascinating book, hugely accessible. Chapter 8 also covers UFO's, should be a mandatory reading for skeptics.

BOOKS ABOUT EXTRA TERRESTRIAL LIFE

Feinberg and Shapiro 's "Life Beyond Earth" (1980 ) is my all time favorite. A class in out-of-the-box thinking! Sure it's quite old, but I've never found a book that comes even close to it.

Seth Shostak's "Confessions of an Alien Hunter" (2009 ). I haven't finished this book yet but so far I'm enjoying it. You will most likely want to skip Chapter Four and its superficial, biased treatment of UFO's. The focus here is on demolishing things such as (yawn) the face on Mars and Roswell. A brief mention of Nick Redfern's Roswell theory. Nothing you haven't heard already.
Still, the rest of the book is pretty good.

Frank Tipler's paper "Extraterrestrial intelligent beings do not exist" (1980 ) http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1980QJRAS..21..267T Interesting counter-argument. Agree or disagree, it's well written nevertheless.

CONSCIOUSNESS?

I have not read the "Conscious Universe". The nature of consciousness, as a topic, interests me.
Sadly, it seems that nowdays the mystery of consciousness has also become a building block for all sorts of New Agey hogwash.

Amit Goswami's "Physics of the Soul" (2001 ). I enjoyed this "out there" book. It could definitely use a major editorial make-over but it's a fascinating read, if you can put up with Goswami's style.
Chapter 13 discusses (possible) links between UFO's, abductions, NDE's and Gaia - consciousness.

Ben Goertzel's "The Hidden Pattern" (2006 ), especially Chapter 8 - [Quantum Reality and Mind]. This book is as much about building AI as it is about investigating how minds (not necessarily human) work. Quite technical but also mind-expanding.

My two cents.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't having any luck searching the threads, but to be quite frank, I don't have the patience most days to sift and sort.

Interesting that you mention Physics of the Soul. I was just thinking the other day if the some of the manifestations seen are emanating from a Gaia-type consciousness.

I did find another interesting free book from the Internet Archive called The Mystery of the Buried Crosses by Hamlin Garland. As times it gets downright silly, but it is still very interesting and odd. Here is the summary if anyone is interested: THE BURIED CROSSES MYSTERY

Thanks for this thread. I myself have read books like timothy good , above top secret. That was a few years ago and to be honest the more I read the more I thought...there is nothing in it. Nothing that can be tied down and proved. so I lost interest in the subject. But recently I have discovered a new interest in the topic.

It would be interesting to know that If you had to pick one book that was a must read. which book that would be for a lot of forum members. ...That would be fascintaing (and I guess expensive for me lol )

I'm reading Clear Intent by Larry Facwett and Barry Greenwood. I bought it after I listened to an interview with Larry Fawcett on one of Don Ecker's archived radio shows posted on this forum. They've decided to show the reader a lot of the actual reports obtained through FOIA in the late 70's and early 80's along with interview transcripts of witnesses to some pretty wild sightings. This is the first UFO book I've read that uses official documents from the government obtained by the authors themselves. After reading so many UFO "stories" over the years, I now appreciate the value of an investigation to secure records of these type of events from offical sources. This leaves one to draw his/her own conclusions about what these reports add up to.

Back