• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Bigfoot in Utah?

starise

Paranormal Adept
Did you happen to catch this one?

The videographer is understandably interested in the big foot prints with 5ft. between them. I think I would also be pointing that camera out in front more often, I mean, there could be a really big biped in the immediate area.

This same guy made a video in Feb. and returned to film some more.

I watched a new program on the channel Destination America, called monster's and mysteries(or something like that) A recent episode featured two young men who happened on a family of sasquatch in the Pacific Northwest- one of these guys claims he shot a small/young bigfoot in the throat. He stood over the creature while it choked on it's own blood and died. Fearing he just committed a crime, he buried the body under some brush (instead of tossing it in the back of his pick-up truck) and he and his buddy fled the mountains they had been hunting in. Word spread about the incident, and a bigfoot enthusiast convinced the hunters to take him to the scene of the shooting. Now under a couple feet of snow, they uncovered a lump of hair/flesh (this was only a month after the shooting) that was sent into a lab and analyzed. Has anyone seen this episode, or familiar with this case? If I recall correctly, the lab results showed something interesting that this creature is somehow related to early human, etc... I just find the whole story suspect- I mean, if you're a big enough jerk to shoot and kill a baby sasquatch, why not throw the carcass in the back of your truck and prove once and for all to the world that these creatures exist?

I did see this episode recently. I get tired of the same old things on TV. Tons of commercials over here in the states and then they recap some of the last segment after the commercials.Should have probably DVRed it but didn't. All said and done you get maybe 40 minutes of the subject from an hour segment. In that 40 minutes 3/4 of it is simply filler video and repetition. What I took away from this show was the same thing I usually always take away...nada.

I would like to see this guy given a lie detector test. They never interviewed the other guy. What happened to him? Why didn't we get a better description of what the thing looked like? Cripes seeing a bigfoot/sasquatch is notably one of the most rare events ever and few get to see one after weeks in the wild in some of the most dense woods there are , but apparently this guy just happens to be driving up the mountain in his Chevy minding his own business and they see a whole group of sasquatch?

If he killed a baby sasquatch I find it very difficult to believe that the pissed mother wasn't close by. They aren't simply going to let you shoot one of them and not react IMO.

The hunter seems a but odd- He seems to react strangely to what he had done. Hypothetical question to hunter with a hypothetical answer- So what have you been up to lately? " Well, let's see, me and my buds went out for a few beers at that local tavern down the road, shot a few games of pool.... let's see,... what else?....oh yeah....... I shot some odd looking thing that was like a man but wasn't. I seen movement and I fired my gun. Then I decided to look at what it was. I almost crapped myself, it was hairy like a monkey, kind of looked like Sam down the street only with hair....and taller, much taller....so anyways...I decided to give the thing a proper burial but didn't want to put too much effort into it so I buried it in a very shallow grave. Then after talking to one of my other friends a month later I decided that maybe I should have saved this thing. We went back and only found some of the hide...so here I am on TV and the rest is history."

I also question the lab results, there should be at least two independent studies of the supposed genetic material. Most of these shows are pure crapola. I wasted some of my life watching it. I guess this show was better than the other one (can't remember the name) where the bigfooters decide to play disco party music in the woods, after all...bigfoot needs a change and some excitement in his life right? They walk around all lit up wearing these camera contraptions so we can all see their faces.... really?

Don't get me wrong, I am convinced that there is something or someone out in the deepest woods. Who or what it is exactly I'm not sure. In some of the missing persons reports I'm reading about in Missing 411 there are references to the "wild men" and some young children speak of the bear that wasn't a bear giving them berries in the woods. In some disappearances there have been sightings of what was thought to be a bear and wasn't.

I guess the methodology commonly used or rather the exploitation of these things before we even know what they are gets to me sometimes.

I watched a new program on the channel Destination America, called monster's and mysteries(or something like that) A recent episode featured two young men who happened on a family of sasquatch in the Pacific Northwest- one of these guys claims he shot a small/young bigfoot in the throat. He stood over the creature while it choked on it's own blood and died. Fearing he just committed a crime, he buried the body under some brush (instead of tossing it in the back of his pick-up truck) and he and his buddy fled the mountains they had been hunting in. Word spread about the incident, and a bigfoot enthusiast convinced the hunters to take him to the scene of the shooting. Now under a couple feet of snow, they uncovered a lump of hair/flesh (this was only a month after the shooting) that was sent into a lab and analyzed. Has anyone seen this episode, or familiar with this case? If I recall correctly, the lab results showed something interesting that this creature is somehow related to early human, etc... I just find the whole story suspect- I mean, if you're a big enough jerk to shoot and kill a baby sasquatch, why not throw the carcass in the back of your truck and prove once and for all to the world that these creatures exist?

Yeah, I also saw it - and Destination America keeps replaying that episode.

We can debate the idea that if Bigfoot exists, it would be a hominid, which means killing it would technically be homicide (whether or not it would legally be homicide). Still, until one of these is captured dead or alive, there are going to be those who are actually willing to kill one just to prove these things exist. If this guy truly shot one - and watched as it slowly choked to death on it's own blood - why then say he's too scared to grab the body as proof and show it to a scientist, especially as he later gets over that fear and is willing to show the location to others? Also keep in mind that in winter or almost winter conditions in areas that get snow, it takes a much longer time for something to decompose. I would think there might be more to this corpse than simply a few tufts of fur and bits of flesh. This story strikes me as being very suspect.

I had never thought much about Bigfoot until I moved to an area that is considered to be a Bigfoot hot-spot. We've recently had a whole rash of sightings, including some potential sightings here in my own subdivision.

I tell myself that if these things truly existed, solid evidence should have been found. Then I remind myself that in all my years of living in the rural west, I rarely find evidence of bears or mountain lions, even in the back country. I know people who have lived up here for decades and have never seen a bear or mountain lion, only occasionally if ever seeing bear or mountain lion scat. Assuming a Bigfoot is smarter than a bear, there may be good reasons for a lack of solid evidence.

I tell myself that many of the sightings can easily be mistaken. I tell myself that many "Bigfoot" sightings are probably bear sightings, made by people who want or otherwise expect to see a Bigfoot. This is probably what's happened here in my subdivision. Then I remind myself that throughout history and all over the world, people have been seeing the same things over and over again. Which is the leap of faith: To assume that Bigfoots truly exist or to assume that ALL of these people are lying, mistaken or crazy?

"Which is the leap of faith: To assume that Bigfoots truly exist or to assume that ALL of these people are lying, mistaken or crazy?"

I think that any investigation into the matter makes the first answer the most acceptable. I don't necessarily know what they are. I'm not ready to commit to a "big unknown ape" idea yet, but there is something out there. Similar to UFOs, people love having a comedy field day with the subject with videos like the one of the guy in an ape suit on you tube. Maybe these kinds of things are good in a way because the average person laughs it all off and forgets about it. This translates into there being less people in the woods nosing around. When the facts are in though, something is going on and has been for quite some time.

If bigfoot/sasquatch exists as an animal like we understand an animal then all I want to do is have it left alone.

In the case of some missing small children found miles away in a stupor unable to really tell what happened,that have later been located in the middle of swamps on mounds in water too deep for them to navigate,covered with scratches,taken across raging rivers and into high mountain ranges impossible for them to go into...what does that? In these cases we find some similarities.

Small kids temporarily left alone are taken......... I am going to theorize on this . Maybe these things have a protective instinct and somehow mistake these kids for young of their kind. When they see them alone they think it is a stray and grab them in an act of protective preservation...soon thereafter , usually after removing the clothing from the child ( this is another common thread) they realize that these are not of their kind and try to leave them somewhere they will be found. Unfortunately many of these kids die from over exposure to the elements before they are found. A lot of them do live though and for some reason can't explain what happened, even the older children.

Which is the leap of faith: To assume that Bigfoots truly exist or to assume that ALL of these people are lying, mistaken or crazy?

This thread is old, but it is the most recent thread in my "Cryptozoology" list. I saw that line, and have heard it often regarding other phenomena, and thought I'd answer the question with a question.

Which of the two ideas have you directly experienced most often?

Existentially and statistically speaking, the other one's probably the leap.

This thread is old, but it is the most recent thread in my "Cryptozoology" list. I saw that line, and have heard it often regarding other phenomena, and thought I'd answer the question with a question.

Which of the two ideas have you directly experienced most often?

Existentially and statistically speaking, the other one's probably the leap.

I often encounter mistaken and lying folk, but 'crazy' is more of a subjective experience. One person's 'crazy' is someone else's morning cup of coffee, or afternoon alien abduction. At night, when it's dark in the woods, listening to the strange animal calls, it's very easy to imagine hairy hominids wailing, knocking down trees and dancing in the moonlight. The footprint thing has been proven to be well faked over the years by countless hoaxers. Anything melting in the snow is entirely up for grabs.

As always it is witness testimony that is the most compelling part of the paranormal tale. The narratives are powerfully emotional, 'I know what i saw' kind of thing, even though they're usually in a high pitched state of excitement. Anecdotally there is a mountainous pile of Bigfoot lore with very little substance. Still, most people who dwell in the annals of the mysterious believe that this is the one true mystery that will yield some fruit.

Bigfoot is probably just an existential mirror of our collective hominid angst.

A local in the area just (as in 2 hours ago) reported alleged Bigfoot tracks in the snow on Guanella Pass, not far from where I live. He has some interesting photographs of whatever this was. The Utes also told stories about Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) in the area long before there were European settlers. It seems as though most native cultures in this general part of the country - and many others all over the world - have reported seeing these things.

I neither believe nor disbelieve in Bigfoot. It seems odd to me that more evidence hasn't been found yet it also seems odd that so many people throughout the world can report these things over countless centuries without there being some solid reason. I can't pretend to guess why this might be. I'll just try to be skeptically curious about the phenomenon.

Curiosity is on one end and fear is on the ther polar side of the paranormal axis. Have we not always located our fears in something supposedly living just on the edge of town, deep in the forest, up there in the old abandoned castle, in the bottom of the deep lake, out there in outer space? The wolfman, spring heeled jack vampire, that other hairy creature or Loch Ness Alien from Zeta Reticula - don't they live where they always have, around the eternal campfire of twice told tales? They come for us when we are out in the woods, alone in our beds. It's the bigfoot boogeyman coming to get you.

In looking at places like Colorado or Utah on Google maps you tend to notice large clusters of suburbia sprawl offset by wide expansive areas that are not acceptable for most people to live in. Miles and miles of nothing but mountains and trees. Why would it seem irrational to think something might be there?

Recently they found a homeless man who had lived in the woods since the 90s. No one knew he was there till now. The only way they found him was that he would make a periodic pilgrimage into areas to steal supplies. If he hadn't done that,no telling how much longer he could have been there. Now consider an animal that is ten times more stealthy than this. Also consider that we men go the path of least resistance in the forest. This thing seems to burrow into the most dense uninhabitable places. The kind of places a normal man would look at and walk the other way.

Much of the hype is just that..hype, TV ratings etc. People have indeed seen things. Just read Lon Stricklers book on strange cryptid encounters. If you think bigfoot is strange or out there beyond reason,don't read this book.

In looking at places like Colorado or Utah on Google maps you tend to notice large clusters of suburbia sprawl offset by wide expansive areas that are not acceptable for most people to live in. Miles and miles of nothing but mountains and trees. Why would it seem irrational to think something might be there? ....

Recently they found a homeless man who had lived in the woods since the 90s. No one knew he was there Just read Lon Stricklers book on strange cryptid encounters. If you think bigfoot is strange or out there beyond reason,don't read this book.

I don't think it's irrational to believe there are strange monsters in the woods. In fact, there are a lot of experiences where I can see it feeling perfectly rational to think there is a monster out there. Is there evidence or likelihood of a large hominid in various woods across North America? Perhaps in very few remote large areas of woods for a breeding population to exist.

I love the first person narratives that involve horrific face to face contact with Bigfoot, and remember The Legend of Boggy Creek scaring the heck out of me when I was nine. But is Bigfoot actually out there? That last ridiculous DNA thing was just a great way to destroy any legitimacy that Bigfoot research had gained over the decades.

I have a lot of bestiaries at home, but I really enjoy Jerome Clark's unexplained encounters and strange humanoid tales he has collected over any years in many books. I have not read Stricklers - any good?

I agree Burnt, the quacks readily discredit the real researchers evidence based on the tendency of the general populous to see all research regarding Bigfoot/Sasquatch/Yeti research as one unified group of people. Unfortunately a quacks story is usually more sensational than the less appealing truth which makes slow progress. The "Bat Boy" story in the National Inquirer sure made me look at the front page twice ;)

The more I look at these kinds of subjects considered to be paranormal, the more I see those involved talking critically about how one individual approaches the thing , or how an organization interprets their data. Much more dialog about how to approach any given thing than energy spent finding it.
It seems as if 95% of our energy is either spent trying to agree on what a correct approach is or trying to determine what it is in the first place. The other 5% is energy spent on the real answers.

A lot of time and effort goes into guesswork. Pardon me, I tend to use stupid examples, but this one fits IMO. If my wife didn't come home or was running late, I might start to wonder what it could be. Since I really don't know, the best I can do is guess.She might have had car trouble,she might have gotten into a car accident,she might have seen a friend and gotten into a conversation,
maybe she got sick and needed to go to the hospital. Like my example,this is where those with questions in any unexplained occurrence spend most of their time and energy, by guessing and rational presumption. Some people out there will come up with some pretty far out explanations in the absence of any clues to the real answer.I am probably sometimes one of those people.

Lon Stricklers book is a good read IMO. Lots of stories from the eastern US. Since he is a Maryland resident and has collected stories from people here. Very large uncategorized birds, some of them dragon like.Bigfoot, wolf men, spirit beings....you name it. Lon himself claims to have had a Bigfoot sighting.

I have not seen this episode. In fact this is the first I have heard of the show. Does anyone have any further detail on the DNA that was collected? Is there a site or article you are aware of?

Back