• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

"Belief in aliens can turn deadly"

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
I find the article stupid in many ways, but thought some might like to read it.

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/070607_bad_dark_side.html

""Belief in aliens can turn deadly""

So can the belief in religion, politics, and guns.

"While nothing can prevent tragedies such as these, a healthy dose of science and skepticism can help inoculate people against dangerous ideas."

Skepticism and science can be blamed for more deaths than the belief in aliens, no? I will give examples if needed, but hopefully no one is at a loss in finding, or thinking of some.

Why not just say this dude was stupid or had mental problems instead of faulting aliens, or the belief in them?

New Heavens Gate.
http://www.nowpublic.com/heavens_gate_is_resurrected_with_new_followers

Ooooh a disclaimer.

""WARNING: The following paragraphs are strictly the opinions of a new adherent to the Heaven's Gate UFO cult. The new convert expresses that his opinions reflect the majority of new converts in the Heaven's Gate UFO community. Some theological content may be objectionable or offensive to some viewers who are outside of this specified religious practice. Discretion is strongly advised.""

Good lord. Wonder if they do that with other religious articles.

A.LeClair said:
I find the article stupid in many ways, but thought some might like to read it.

Thanks A.L. This article's appauling. Basically, it's employing the old "A=B therefore B=C" argument, taking people who are clearly nuts to begin with who just happen to have a psychosis based on paranormal things and then reversing that to imply that anyone who believes in things paranormal is deranged.

SPIN at it's absolute worst.

I almost contacted the author of the article with a list of events, titled, "When Science Goes Bad", but said screw it. Just as science can have bad effects so can ufology and belief systems etc. It's all kinda like fire and knives. You can do good with it, or bad. Or things in between.

I love science outside the minds of the high and mighty. Funny thing is, the article didn't seem too scientific or genuinely skeptical. Skepticism about his own spin would show he's better off writing something else. For God's sake, who in the hells need to be told that certain cults and killing etc. is not a great thing? Ok, Bush and many other "leaders" but really. You can't convince those who don't consider murder a bad thing otherwise usually. Too stupid, fanatical, brain washed etc.

I do look forward to his next article. The letter A can be used in certain words.

What's wrong with believing that extra-terrestrial aliens exist? Nothing.

What's wrong with believing that extra-terrestrial aliens have visited Earth? Nothing.

What's wrong with believing that extra-terrestrial aliens are even now plotting to abduct your daughter for breeding purposes? Nothing ... much.

But act on those beliefs and you may end up wearing a tailored jacket in a quiet room surrounded by friendly staff, and all the thorazine your system can handle for the next 20 years to life.

Just keep quiet, stay alert, trust no one, and keep a camera handy.

I see the same. This thread is over a year old.

Yeah I found it curious myself. I then went on to find (from a link on the page) a top 10 alien debunking list.

Im curious: Does it bother anyone else that Kenneth Arnold didnt actually see round metallic craft when he was describing 'flying saucers'?

Yeah I found it curious myself. I then went on to find (from a link on the page) a top 10 alien debunking list.

Im curious: Does it bother anyone else that Kenneth Arnold didnt actually see round metallic craft when he was describing 'flying saucers'?

Ken was describing the way they flew, not how they looked. "As if you were to skip a saucer across water". Even though they were saucer like in appearance. Sorta Crescent shaped. The media coined the phrase not Kenneth.

Ken was describing the way they flew, not how they looked. "As if you were to skip a saucer across water". Even though they were saucer like in appearance. Sorta Crescent shaped. The media coined the phrase not Kenneth.

yeah I know;)

Im asking does it bother anyone that he didnt even see saucer shaped craft, yet that is what has been seen in the majority of sightings since? (and what most assume he described)

I find it kind of suspicious. Although having a round craft does make sense, so I think it could be written up as a mega coincidence.

yeah I know;)

Im asking does it bother anyone that he didnt even see saucer shaped craft, yet that is what has been seen in the majority of sightings since? (and what most assume he described)

I find it kind of suspicious. Although having a round craft does make since, so I think it could be written up as a mega coincidence.

There are many hoaxes which are saucer shaped. This accounts for a percent. Many hoaxes are based on ignorance and pop culture.

It bothered me until I learned that a saucer shape is the most aerodynamic shape known to man, at least. Many ghost rockets, and foo fighters were round and some disc shaped. Kenneth wasn't the first to see ufos. Many depictions of what Kenneth saw is 90 percent saucer shaped. Some depictions boomerang. Close enough for me. I don't expect all "alien" ships to look the same, though some similarities, or patterns I would.

It bothered me until I learned that a saucer shape is the most aerodynamic shape known to man, at least. Many ghost rockets, and foo fighters were round and some disc shaped.

Precisely the reasons that I dont extrapolate "SUGGESTION! LOOK AT THE POWERS OF SUGGESTION!! blah blah etc"

:D

Which reminds me. I posed the question back when I was at ufoupdates which came first, Star Trek or beams associated with saucer/ufo accounts? The only person I recall responding was James Oberg, who used to be with NASA, and is a fairly well known "skeptic" (debunker in my view). He didn't know, but thought it would make a good thesis project. Being beamed up, has bothered me a bit over the years. Coincidence? Did Gene R. get influenced by legit reports? Or are abductees influenced by Star Trek?

Which reminds me. I posed the question back when I was at ufoupdates which came first, Star Trek or beams associated with saucer/ufo accounts? The only person I recall responding was James Oberg, who used to be with NASA, and is a fairly well known "skeptic" (debunker in my view). He didn't know, but thought it would make a good thesis project. Being beamed up, has bothered me a bit over the years. Coincidence? Did Gene R. get influenced by legit reports? Or are abductees influenced by Star Trek?

Has bothered me too. Also when I read mutilation stories.

Yes, absolutely.

On a related note, I recently stumbled across this site which has a nice diagram of UFO "types" on its homepage.

Many mutilations can be explained by blow flies. This is on the bases of new findings. However, I wouldn't be comfortable saying it explains all.

Yeah more specifically the mutilations with witnesses that apparently see animals lifted into the air under a craft (if they are to be believed).

And, um, blow flies? How would flies create a perfect circle about the eye?

I definitely believe there is a phenomena there (mutilations), whether that be military or other.

Yeah more specifically the mutilations with witnesses that apparently see animals lifted into the air under a craft (if they are to be believed).

And, um, blow flies? How would flies create a perfect circle about the eye?

I definitely believe there is a phenomena there (mutilations), whether that be military or other.

Not sure they can. Many mutilations can be explained. I don't recall saying all.

Back