• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Babylon 5 Scene :-) Hilarious

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
Does anyone recall this scene from Babylon 5? I am doing a massive straight-through screening of the full 5 seasons - and this popped up at the beginning of episode 15 of season 1. Brilliant! :cool:

Alien Sued for Abduction of Human's Ancestor
TEXT: Published on Aug 20, 2006: "Funny clip from season 1, episode 15 of Babylon 5."

I watched the whole lot about a year ago, I had only been vaguely aware of it before, but now it is one of my favourite scifi shows ever.

I think it was very skillfully made, and loved the way that the 'threads' of stories were stitched together, and continued from start to end.

There were many great performances and amazing casting, but more than anything it was funny with many comedic 'historical' references and social messages or statements hidden between the lines.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it, so I will just say that I liked Kosh (and his appearance) was fascinated by 'shadow technology' and blown away by the interrogation scene (Garabaldi).

Just like anything it is a matter of taste, but I would give it a solid 8/10 overall.
On individual series or episodes the score would vary, but I think it is only fair to judge it in it's entirety, and some of the slower paced episodes are important for understanding the whole story, and some of the lesser performances only make the great ones seem greater.

@Han I started watching it when it was on but then got caught up in my moves between New York and Hawaii and D.C. during that time period and just lost track of it - hard to find what channel was running it - time slots, etc. - as I moved. And if I did catch an episode it was hard to stay on track with it because I'd missed so much of the intervening story line. By the time I was in D.C. it was in it's final year and I recall being unable to understand all the allusions.

Finished watching 'Andromeda' start to finish and was noticing how strong 'Babylon 5' is in reviews on IMDb - at 8.3 stars. In reviews regarding Andromeda (overall 6.6 stars - ouch!) - Babylon 5 kept being mentioned as far superior - and I decided to splash out the bucks for the full 5 seasons. Has not disappointed. Bringing me back to how amazing it really was. I still love Andromeda, but how 'weak' that world-building was (even had Hewitt Wolff stayed at the writing helm imo) in comparison to Babylon 5.

I have finished season 1 and am now a few episodes into season 2 - finding it a bit less 'something' overall (struggling to find the word) - hoping it's just the actor change causing the blip (I'm hoping it is - the actors for Sinclair and Sheridan are very different - setting a different tone - maybe?). Love Bruce - still have to get used to the shift in tone, though.

Having fun! :)

Babylon 5 had great writing and arcs, but terrible acting, effects, and my god those stupid costume choices...

I mean, the vorlons were a super cool idea. That unfortunately ended up looking terrible with the CGI of the time. I'm all for bad practical effects I guess (think 70's doctor who) but bad CGI just repulses me.

And I could never get past Centari's hair or that stupid love/hate relationship he had with the lizard guy.

Babylon 5 had great writing and arcs, but terrible acting, effects, and my god those stupid costume choices...

I mean, the vorlons were a super cool idea. That unfortunately ended up looking terrible with the CGI of the time. I'm all for bad practical effects I guess (think 70's doctor who) but bad CGI just repulses me.

And I could never get past Centari's hair or that stupid love/hate relationship he had with the lizard guy.

T'more you struggle the tighter thy web! ;)

I am in season 3 - amazing parallels with our current sociopolitical scene - here in the U.S. anyway. Or perhaps more correctly stated - where things could go. A cautionary tale.

I think one of the most relevant moral issues that the show delves is an ethical/moral question I recall being presented in high school in philosophy class: if you are told that you must behave in an unethical way in order to 'save' another from (say) being tortured, and if you don't do the unethical act, another will be tortured, what is the moral response to that threat to you and the other?

How would any of us answer that question?

I think one of the most relevant moral issues that the show delves is an ethical/moral question I recall being presented in high school in philosophy class: if you are told that you must behave in an unethical way in order to 'save' another from (say) being tortured, and if you don't do the unethical act, another will be tortured, what is the moral response to that threat to you and the other?

How would any of us answer that question?
a043ac5e9956ba7f222e208fd97b8404--babylon--game-movie.jpg

Back