• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Audible "ghost" voice on Ghost Hunters

Brian Now

Paranormal Pimp
I watched Ghost Hunters for the first time in years the other night. They were in California in the basement of Clovis Manor (or something) and they heard this voice. So far Youtube only seems to have an upload of that particular segment, and not of the end of the show where they play back the audio all cleaned up.
This is pretty tough to believe. Lots of people think it was coming from a walky that maybe the Sci Fi camera crew had.

Short segment, but if you can't wait the voice starts about 40 secs in.
"I like the one with the Hat"

Incidentally, they also got another audible voice during their live Halloween special this year (I see a trend here). The voice is at 1:50
"You're not supposed to be here"

I watched this too, and don't quite know what to make of it. The voice sounds sort-of metallic to me, and they sure seemed to be creeped out by it. It does seem like they're "catching" something in every episode now, tho.

Yeah, watched that ep, I think those particular voices are fake....I mean...sorry, but I have a hard time believing that ghosts can even TALK in a discernable voice in the first place, really....no vocal cords to make words audible, ya know?

But I'm still processing my opinions regarding it, and LOVE listening to EVP's meanwhile.

The thing that gets me is that ghost hunters stress that you can't hear ghosts with your own ears but must use a recorder. Say WHAT??? Why?
Plus, there are many people who claim to hear ghost voices all the time, so why would anyone need a recorder? If something is on a recorder than the first thing I feel is that it is either faked or words picked up from some sort of radio signal. That would explain why no useful info is ever gained from EVP's.
No-one ever solves their own murder or tells anything useful or unique.

....no vocal cords to make words audible, ya know?
I don't have a problem with the idea that ghosts can make audible sound sometimes. I mean, assuming ghosts are real, how do we know the extent they can affect matter? Maybe it's usually easier to create EVPs that weren't audible at the time of recording, but occasionally they can do what it takes to vibrate air the right way. I don't know.

It's just that those particular examples seem dubious to me. I wish I could find the segment called "the reveal" for that episode. That's when they play the "hat" clip back on the computer. It's really hard to believe it wasn't a live human being doing the talking.

The thing that gets me is that ghost hunters stress that you can't hear ghosts with your own ears but must use a recorder. Say WHAT??? Why?
Plus, there are many people who claim to hear ghost voices all the time, so why would anyone need a recorder? If something is on a recorder than the first thing I feel is that it is either faked or words picked up from some sort of radio signal. That would explain why no useful info is ever gained from EVP's.

Dude... You have people claiming every day that the see dead people and can talk to spirits.

I have to tell you, there's no limit to what kinds of scams these clowns can pull. I remember a few episodes where Grant fudged some stuff, but the crowning glory of fakery, was when he kicked a table he was sitting at to make it look like a Ghost had done it.

They are frauds as far as I'm concerned. The show is nothing but entertainment.

BINGO. After all, ghosts are supposed to be the same person without a body, right? So you'd think perhaps they still have their 'personality' (or not, as it's not needed to speak/vocalize. But my point is:

When we're alive, most of us say what we want/mean in a coherant way/sentence.

So WHY is it (assuming EVP's are possibly genuine) that they don't speak more coherantly (or write, etc). It's almost always in disjointed ways or nonsensical words, etc..

So WHY is it (assuming EVP's are possibly genuine) that they [ghosts performing EVPs] don't speak more coherantly (or write, etc). It's almost always in disjointed ways or nonsensical words, etc..

It is a curious phenomena, regardless of its nature (paranormal or otherwise). Sometimes seeming to be intelligent, sometimes just nonsense.

My opinion is that there is enough there to justify further research; I have a hunch that traditional views of EVPs as voices of dead people might not pan out. But that's just a hunch.

I enjoy GH and GHI but of course I don't take it at face value.

Has to be some trickery going on if Jason and Grant are the only two who get the weirdest stuff going on. Give the good stuff to the stars, guys.

I had the feeling there was a crappy speaker planted somewhere in the room. Very mechanical.

My husband watched the show with me for the first time this week. His comment, something I always think, is the guys scare themselves a lot, but there isn't much activity other than that. It's what tickles me most, their reactions to nothing unusual. Entertaining.

Still enjoy the odd evp too.

Yeah, I still like GH and especially GHI, too.

I'll continue to watch it, anyway. It IS enterainment, after all, right?

I saw this episode too-I think the tinny quality some have mentioned comes from when they boost the audio during the reveal segment because afterwards I could make out Grant's feet shuffling-these also had the same tinny quality.

Yes they looked around and said there was no speaker in the room but the voice sounded like it came from farther away. I was confused by this episode. They referred to it as the Clovis Sanitorium and yet the location's web site calles it Wolfe Manor. I also noticed that the owner's last name is Wolfe and that he is the executive producer of an internet TV show broadcast from that location. Seems way fishy to me.

I like Ghost Hunters, and watch the show a lot.

I caught both of those audible voices, and they were unusual, as they've never happened before (at least, not on the show). EVP is supposed to be heard only on the tape, and only after you run it through a white noise generator (in their case, they have software that does it). Although, people hear ghostly voices all the time.

It sounded to me like the voice was coming over a walkie talkie.

Also, they've been getting a lot of "conversations" on their new K-2 meter, which they stick a penny in to keep on, and that way they get hits on them that detect EM fields (that for some reason, the EMF detector doesn't catch). They ask the "ghost" a question, and it responds with the number of dots that light up on the K-2 meter.

I'm pretty sure that, since these things can be set off by an IR source, that a cameraman in their crew is responsible for it. All this call/answer stuff is somewhat new, and if they would just let the Amazing Randi come in and film it with HIS crew, they'd either figure it out, or he would have to pay them a million dollars.

So, kind of a win-win.::)

It's funny they all but slammed Chris Fleming on their radio show for using the K-2 and now it seems to be a regular castmember.

I think it was the live show where Joe Chin was holding the K-2 and his walkie talkie-sure enough when he hit the button to reply to someone the lights go on.

I'd like to see James Randi come along with the GHers for reasons of balance.

I have a hard time buying that clear of a evp. Seems too good to be true and the Sci-Fi channel is known way more for their fiction than science. Or does the Sci-fi channel just run re-runs? I forget.

I believe that Brian was kicked out of TAPS at least a year ago. Jason & Grant said on their podcast "Beyond Reality Radio" the reason was that no one could work with him anymore.

I enjoy the shows too but just as entertainment as others here have said. But they strongly imply, if not outright state, that what they do is genuine and how scientific and skeptical they are. :rolleyes:

I enjoy hearing the EVP's too, and the episode where the voice of a ghost child is allegedly heard saying, "they don't want us," was touching, especially when the lady of the house got teary. I was teary myself, darn it!

I'm also glad Brian is gone. I know people love him and I used to like him, but as time went by he struck me more and more as an incopetent prima donna with the vocabulary skills of a dyslexic wombat and a sense of self-importance that would have put Hitler to shame.

I've only seen "Ghost Adventures" once or twice and it hasn't entertained me much so far. Anyone else see it? Have they done "EVP work" yet?

I agree with the consensus that they shows can be entertaining, but not much more.

I'm also glad Brian is gone. I know people love him and I used to like him, but as time went by he struck me more and more as an incopetent prima donna with the vocabulary skills of a dyslexic wombat and a sense of self-importance that would have put Hitler to shame.

Brian? Sure, Brian was goofy and paranoid, but the real douche on the shows is Steve. What a dick. He is such an unprofessional dill-weed. He's always trying to over-talk an issue with vocabulary he can't handle, repeatedly mispronouncing simple words like "SuppoSUBly", while correcting others. And don't get me started on all his lame, childish phobias. WTF? You want to investigate haunted buildings but can't handle a spider?! Loser. I really can't stand to see the two principals constantly kissing this prick's tush. He's useless and a loser. IMO, of course. But hey, what else counts, right?

Back