• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Art Bell on coast to coast AM

skeptoid humanoid

Skilled Investigator
Back several years ago, before the age of the Paracast.....

I have to admit that I was a big fan of Coast to Coast AM when Art Bell was hosting. Don't get me wrong here: I cannot tolerate listening to George "maybe it was angels" Noory. On the other hand Art Bell ran an interesting show. I like the way he would start the show with news headlines (without over-indulging in political commentary). His curiosity of the unknown was very interesting. Specifically in topics of the occult, death, life after death, etc. His shows were interesting even when the guests or topics were believable (most of the time they were not believable).

Is anyone else with me on this? :question:
What do y'all think about Art Bell's old programs?

Back several years ago, before the age of the Paracast.....

I have to admit that I was a big fan of Coast to Coast AM when Art Bell was hosting. Don't get me wrong here: I cannot tolerate listening to George "maybe it was angels" Noory. On the other hand Art Bell ran an interesting show. I like the way he would start the show with news headlines (without over-indulging in political commentary). His curiosity of the unknown was very interesting. Specifically in topics of the occult, death, life after death, etc. His shows were interesting even when the guests or topics were believable (most of the time they were not believable).

Is anyone else with me on this? :question:
What do y'all think about Art Bell's old programs?

Hi skeptoid humanoid,

What I have listen to Mr Art Bell seems to question the subjects but in OZ we are not privileged to contact with many of the paranormal authors. Mind you Mr Bill Chalker seems to have long research background in OZ.:)

Peace,
blowfish

Hi skeptoid humanoid,

What I have listen to Mr Art Bell seems to question the subjects but in OZ we are not privileged to contact with many of the paranormal authors. Mind you Mr Bill Chalker seems to have long research background in OZ.:)

Peace,
blowfish

I always thought Art Bell was too full of himself. He hyped the Y2K thing to the max and really helped fuel the hysteria. Remember all those portable generators, respirators and emergency food stuff he hawked every night? Currently, George Knapp, is my favorite Coast to Coast host.

Art is a truly talented interviewer, and is a great entertainer. Some/many of his guests (e.g., Ed "no shame" Dames) are completely full of shit, which probably further highlights his talents insofar as he made those shows engaging. I can't stand to listen to Noory regardless how legtimate the guest -- indeed, there is an online petition to toss Noory overboard.

Hi folks,
Interesting debate which is healthy.
Mr Art Bell has to make a living and Mr Noory who seems to conduct a interview and we have to sort the wheat from the chaff.
However, its entertainment.:D

Hi folks,
Interesting debate which is healthy.
Mr Art Bell has to make a living and Mr Noory who seems to conduct a interview and we have to sort the wheat from the chaff.
However, its entertainment.:D

I don't quite follow what point you are making here, blowfish.

Yeah. Art could really get you into the show....even if you knew the subject was not true/crap. He can hold down and interview with Dr. Kaku...something sNoory can't do.

Yeah. Art could really get you into the show....even if you knew the subject was not true/crap. He can hold down and interview with Dr. Kaku...something sNoory can't do.

Yes indeed. When Art would talk about "Mel's Hole" for example, I knew it was completely folklore & total BS. But still it would envove in me a childlike wonder & curiosity in the subject. Another example is the "audio clip of tormented souls from hell". A alleged audio recording from a microphone lowered into a very deep well, which captured poeople screaming in torment in hellfire & brimstone. I did not believe it was real, but it still sent cold chills down my spine every time I heard it. Maybe that fear is because of my childhood upbringing in a pentecostal church in southeastern Kentucky where hellfire, brimstone, and damnation was preached even to small children!

Does anyone have an audio clip of the hell audio to post here?
I am wondering if it produces spine-tingling chills to people who are not indoctrinated?

In the days of Long John Nebel, we always knew he didn't "buy" any of it, but nonetheless he knew what made for a good show. I still say Long John beats everyone who came after him. We can only hope to approach that level of greatness — and even then, it won't be close.

Yes I'm with you. I've been an Art Fan since the late 90s. One thing he's always maintained. Take what one hears with a grain of salt and not at face value.

It is the responsibility-and the choice-of the listener to believe or disbelieve what is heard, then follow up with personal research.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

In the days of Long John Nebel, we always knew he didn't "buy" any of it, but nonetheless he knew what made for a good show. I still say Long John beats everyone who came after him. We can only hope to approach that level of greatness — and even then, it won't be close.

Good evening Gene. I heard you mention Long John Nebel once before. I'm sorry but I did not hear of him before joining The Paracast. If you can get a hold of any of his archive shows, I'd like to hear them, sometime, on your show. What do you think?

Back