• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Area 51: When was it first connected to UFOs?

RustyShackleford

Skilled Investigator
Area 51 goes all the way back to the 1950s, but when was it first connected to the UFO phenomenon?

To clarify, when I say 'connected to UFOs' I'm really talking about the rumours that Area 51 housed alien spacecraft that the US gov was attempting to reverse engineer. Where did these rumours originate?

The earliest I've found is 1984. In one of his presentations, Greg Bishop stated that, in 1984, Bill Moore was given a map of the Nevada Test Site with certain areas labelled "S4" and "saucer mesa". Although I don't think the map specifically used the term "Area 51" the implications are obvious.

Does anyone know of an earlier reference?

Also, unfortunately, Bishop didn't mention who Moore got the map from. Does anyone know Moore's source?

Last edited:
Area 51 goes all the way back to the 1950s, but when was it first connected to the UFO phenomenon?

The earliest I've found is 1984. In one of his presentations, Greg Bishop stated that, in 1984, Bill Moore was given a map of the Nevada Test Site with certain areas labelled "S4" and "saucer mesa". Although I don't think the map specifically used the term "Area 51" the implications are obvious.

Does anyone know of an earlier reference?

Also, unfortunately, Bishop didn't mention who Moore got the map from. Does anyone know Moore's source?
I guess it depends on how many degrees of separation you're comfortable with. Area-51 is administered by Edwards AFB which has been connected with UFOs since the USAF first started investigating them. The X-15 was launched out of Edwards, and there are reports of one of the pilots spotting a UFO during one of the test flights. Area 51 was also home to aircraft like the A-12, basically the same as the SR-71, which were both said to have been mistaken for UFOs by radar operators who were picking-up these secret jets. I think Annie Jacobsen mentions something about aliens in her book on Area-51 too. That might be a good question to ask Jerome Clark next time he's on the show.

I guess it depends on how many degrees of separation you're comfortable with. Area-51 is administered by Edwards AFB which has been connected with UFOs since the USAF first started investigating them. The X-15 was launched out of Edwards, and there are reports of one of the pilots spotting a UFO during one of the test flights. Area 51 was also home to aircraft like the A-12, basically the same as the SR-71, which were both said to have been mistaken for UFOs by radar operators who were picking-up these secret jets. I think Annie Jacobsen mentions something about aliens in her book on Area-51 too. That might be a good question to ask Jerome Clark next time he's on the show.

I’d love to hear Mr. Clark discuss the subject! He’s a treat to listen to when he gets on a roll.

Area 51 has been one of the subjects that I couldn’t find much on in my research for my novel, other than second hand reports and rumors. I still don’t believe Lezar and his claims, but I also don’t think that Area 51 would be the only place they would research this sort of thing.

Good point, Randall. I think I should've been clearer in my original post. When I say 'connected to UFOs' I'm really talking about the rumours that Area 51 housed alien spacecraft that the US gov was attempting to reverse engineer. Where did these rumours originate?

I'd always assumed that they came from Lazar/Lear in 88/89 but I find it fascinating that Bill Moore got given a map of the place featuring UFO references in 1984.

I'll edit my original post so it's clearer.

Back