• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Are hydrogen fuel cells still on the radar screen?

Free episodes:

jpw.in.wi

Still Seeking Samantha
My iPod has nearly become a permanent appendage after a few weeks of listening to hour after hour of archived Paracasts to educate myself on things you all would probably consider just common knowledge within this content area.

One topic that comes up fairly often is "free energy" or some such term.

I just finished listening to an interview with Richard Dolan where the topic came up again, and it made me wonder where hydrogen fuel cell technology stands these days.

It seems that not so long ago it was being promoted as the answer to the world's energy needs/wants: cars that emit water vapor as exhaust; each home and business could have its own little power plant making power lines and the whole power grid obsolete. Is something in the pipeline?

Thanks ahead of time for helping educate me about this!

HydrogenFuelPump_550x445.jpg

Here's an experiment in San Francisco:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/06/BU3D16U1Q3.DTL&type=business

San Francisco International Airport won a $1.7 million state grant Monday to build a refueling station for cars and buses that run on hydrogen.

The station will serve the small collection of Bay Area vehicles powered by fuel cells, which create electricity by combining hydrogen and oxygen. The vehicles give off no pollution, just water vapor.

For the next few years, its going to be the energy source wars... a bit like the war between blu-ray and HDVD :). Hopefully, the cheapest, most eco-friendly and easiest implementation will win.

Here's an experiment in San Francisco:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/06/BU3D16U1Q3.DTL&type=business

For the next few years, its going to be the energy source wars... a bit like the war between blu-ray and HDVD :). Hopefully, the cheapest, most eco-friendly and easiest implementation will win.

Some great stuff is already in play with utilities contracting with the blacklight process. Some scientists said his method involving water and hydrogen was impossible but it worked.Some say bumble bees should not be able to fly but they do!
http://forum.theparacast.com/genera...generators-may-rewrite-quantum-physics-t4223/

Hydrogen cars are dead. The company doing a vast amount of the research pulled back in 2007. Ballard. This is the company responsible for all the Mercedes Hydrogen buses. Among the issues? Manufacturing Hydrogen in a cost effect way. It would take alot of electricty to split the water into H and O.

This Financial Times article pretty much sums it up.

Hydrogen highway hits dead end

Back