• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Apple

Free episodes:

P

pixelsmith

a thread for general freewheeing chit chat about anything Apple. if you are not interested in Apple or its products then i suggest leaving this thread right now. if you choose not to leave, please read and learn but do not troll.

this is not a pc vs mac thread.

iPhone dubbed largest electronics launch in history

AT&T CEO Stan Sigman has described Apple's forthcoming iPhone as "the largest commercial product launch in the history of electronics" during a graduation speech at the West Texas A&M University. "This is you. AT&T and Apple will release the iPhone," Sigman said. "Since we announced this product earlier this year, over a million people have written in to express interest in being first to get one." The executive went on to announce that the first pre-released iPhone in the state of texas was given to the president of WDAMU. The president proudly held up the sleek device for all the crowed to see, and Sigman offered students a unique memory to take with them in future travels.
"I want you to be the first to see actual iPhone," AT&T's boss continued. "You don't have to remember another word I say. If someone asks you about graduation, your graduation, you can say that you got to see the iPhone."

iPhone:

I'm getting rid of my PC and buying a Mac. I don't hav a lot of money, so I'll be buying used. I'm thinking a 15 or 17" power book from Powermax.com. I hope this is a good choice. I have to keep it under a grand. Any other ideas?

noalarms said:
I'm getting rid of my PC and buying a Mac. I don't hav a lot of money, so I'll be buying used. I'm thinking a 15 or 17" power book from Powermax.com. I hope this is a good choice. I have to keep it under a grand. Any other ideas?

If you don't get any ideas from people here, maybe try the Tech Night Owl forum, Gene's other show. It's linked throughout the site.

Have been a Linux user for long time now. but juss wondering, i read a lotta articles today in various places in the internets (cnn, cnet, forbes etc. ) where the common theme happened to be throwin the apple tv under the bus! ne apple tv user already here and if so what r his or her xperience with it?

i dont have one yet but i will. this will be the next big thing. they now support youtube as well. i enjoy maybe 3-4 tv shows thats it. i pay for them through itunes and watch at work on second display. the AppleTV will be purfect for me at home when i get a decent tv to support it.
remember people said the ipod would fail. oh and Apple is going out of business too isnt it?

Deutsche Bank: Apple TV to 'Cannibalize' DVD Player Sales?
by Remy Davison, Insanely Great Mac
June 1st 2007

Deutsche Bank believes Apple TV could take a thick slice of the $26 billion DVD player market, Macworld UK reports. In February, Deutsche also said that the set-top box could make billions for Apple over the next few years.

Writing in a note to clients, the bank said that, "Apple is positioned to introduce a compelling integrated home media infrastructure solution. We expect Apple to continue adding video content (TV, movies, etc) to iTunes/Apple TV further increasing its appeal."

The bank previously noted in February that Apple could take 30-40% of the home DVD player market, worth $5-7 billion in revenue for Apple.

Analysis: Not to mention movie and TV sales. For many, the 'extras' that come with DVDs may not be of much value to the casual viewer. Moreover, storing large DVD libraries is may go the way of vinyl records, with consumers preferring to store entertainment digitally. Although people haven't junked their CD collections yet, the iPod has shown the way on digital music storage, music downloads continue to increase, while CD sales stagnate. The same could happen to DVD.

pixelsmith said:
i dont have one yet but i will. this will be the next big thing. they now support youtube as well. i enjoy maybe 3-4 tv shows thats it. i pay for them through itunes and watch at work on second display. the AppleTV will be purfect for me at home when i get a decent tv to support it.
remember people said the ipod would fail. oh and Apple is going out of business too isnt it?

They were just asked to join the S&P 100.

They are valued at over $100 billion, which makes the company's stock value higher than Dell.

What is surprising to some, witnessing the competition between Microsoft and Apple, is that, when you see Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in public, per that public appearance recently, you know that they are long-time friends; probably very close friends too.

pixelsmith said:
almost twice that of Dull...er Dell. mike dell is eating his words now.

Well, Dell happens to make great displays. I have one of their 24-inch models, and it's superb. So I can't say bad things about them. My contacts with their company have always been pleasant.

i have the DELL 2005FPW and i love it. it is next to my LaCie 22 blue IV. a great combination. it still freaks people out when they see me drag stuff from one display to another. watching movies, music video or tv shows on the Dell with my 5.1 surround is awesome.

Progress? - How Come A 21-Year-Old Mac Plus Can Whip An '07 DualCore Athlon?
Posted by Charles W. Moore on 06/01 at 10:31 AM

Hal Licino over at Hubpages has posted a fascinating shootout between a 1986 Mac Plus vs. a brand new '07 AMD DualCore, asking rhetorically: "We are in the third decade of global personal computing, and have we really progressed that far?"

This at first blush seems like a truly David and Goliath sort of bakeoff. After all, that little classic Mac with its tiny 9" black and white 1-bit display, puny 8MHz Motorola 68000 processor, and its memory capacity maxed out at a whopping 4 MB, is micro-powerful compared with the AMD dual-core Athlon 64 with each core running at 2.4 GHz theoretically estimated to be 600 to more than 1,000 times faster than the old Mac Plus. and with its not even near maxed-out 1,024MB of RAM being about 250 times more memory than the maxed-out Plus.

The Mac Plus had an external SCSI 40MB Hard Drive - the AMD an internal IDE 120GB Hard Drive or some 3,000 times greater data capacity, yet the drives on both machines were under 10% filled....

The Mac was running Apple System 6.0.8, and the AMD box Windows XP Professional SP2..

Hal ran a series of comparative benchmarks with the two machines performing selected common computing tasks, "that reflect how the user perceives the computing experience," including functions in contemporaneous versions of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, and arrived at the conclusion that:

".....For the functions that people use most often, the 1986 vintage Mac Plus beats the 2007 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+: 9 tests to 8! Out of the 17 tests, the antique Mac won 53% of the time! Including a jaw-dropping 52 second whipping of the AMD from the time the Power button is pushed to the time the Desktop is up and useable."

"When we compare strictly common, everyday, basic user tasks between the Mac Plus and the AMD we find remarkable similarities in overall speed, thus it can be stated that for the majority of simple office uses, the massive advances in technology in the past two decades have brought zero advance in productivity."

Gene Steinberg said:
What is surprising to some, witnessing the competition between Microsoft and Apple, is that, when you see Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in public, per that public appearance recently, you know that they are long-time friends; probably very close friends too.

Gene, is this more than speculation? Do they actually sustain personal contacts, warranting the term "friends"?

Beyond professional rivalry, their life's philosophies appear to be quite different. Gates a Republican, Jobs a devoted Democrat, for a start. I am sure both enjoy making loads of money, but their resulting life-styles reflect differences in attitude. Gates built himself a giant home that resembles a university campus, whereas Jobs lives in a historic building. And so on.

I guess I am wondering whether or not their cordial public exchanges are more than displays of professionalism.

musictomyears said:
Gene, is this more than speculation? Do they actually sustain personal contacts, warranting the term "friends"?

Beyond professional rivalry, their life's philosophies appear to be quite different. Gates a Republican, Jobs a devoted Democrat, for a start. I am sure both enjoy making loads of money, but their resulting life-styles reflect differences in attitude. Gates built himself a giant home that resembles a university campus, whereas Jobs lives in a historic building. And so on.

I guess I am wondering whether or not their cordial public exchanges are more than displays of professionalism.

It has a lot more to do than shared experiences than politics and lifestyle.

Back