• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Anybody here a helicopter pilot?

Yep. US Army Aviator. Now retired. The best way is the Military, specifically the Army Program, otherwise you will need a lot of money.

vonmazur: About how much more expensive per hour is flying instruction in helicopters vs fixed wing aircraft ? Do helicopters require a little sharper skill set when compared to light fixed wing aircraft ? I'm thinking the cost difference is considerable.

Costs a lot more per hour for rotary wing training, I do not know right off hand what they get now.
Successfully learning to fly an Helicopter is difficult at best...One would need good balance and eye-hand coordination at a minimum, not to mention above average intelligence and the ability to, as the trendies say now, "Multitask" and think and fly at the same time....One would have to be able to stand the "R Lee Ermy" treatment, at the same time as learning to fly...is the best analogy I can come up with.....

Full-Metal-Jacket-Stanely-Kubrick-Top-25-Best-Book-To-Film-Adaptations.gif
My appreciation for helicopter pilots' skill sets have suddenly gone up multiple notches. I'm still traumatized by this movie. This actor made basic training more hellish than being in Vietnam on many levels.

Full-Metal-Jacket-Stanely-Kubrick-Top-25-Best-Book-To-Film-Adaptations.gif
My appreciation for helicopter pilots' skill sets have suddenly gone up multiple notches. I'm still traumatized by this movie. This actor made basic training more hellish than being in Vietnam on many levels.
LOL. Four of my friends had already enlisted in the Marines (but hadn't left yet for boot camp) when this movie came out. I on the other hand, joined the Navy. I ended up being an Aircrewman on board P-3C Orions for 5 years. Never stepped foot on a ship once. Then I learned to fly myself when I got out of the Navy in '95 (fixed wing).

Not a problem, I never got to watch it, so when I found it on U Tube, it was nice to see..BTW: For the conspiracy fans, Richard Floyd McCoy was my class mate, and I think he was Dan Cooper...I have some evidence...

Back