• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

anti gravity propulsion, why so interesting?

Well, I've got my story and I'm sticking to it ... lol. I don't think warp bubbles are physically possible. As they stand now there is no evidence for them other than as geometric patterns resulting from mathematical analogies to hypothetical real world behavior. What the bubble concept really is, isn't so much a "bubble" as a description of properties that can be illustrated in that way to help make sense of them. I think the graphic EQ analogy for audio is a good comparison. With a graphic EQ, sound is portrayed as a graphical representation using a series of bars corresponding to frequency amplitude, and hypothetically we could create a variety of such readouts in different shapes and sizes including circles. In fact that's a major consideration in audio player visualizations, but changing the way something is visualized doesn't do anything to the actual thing itself. A graphical EQ is simply a picture, not sound. And a warp bubble is simply a picture, not the actual things it represents.

So we need to keep in mind that it's the properties not the picture that matter, and within the frame of reference of the craft, the properties of inertia and momentum may be neutralized, but that doesn't mean that there would be no momentum relative to objects beyond the craft. SImply turning of the mechanism that neutralizes all the properties within the craft wouldn't necessarily do much at all to nearby objects. However I suppose a variety of scenarios might be imagined depending on how the system works. If it were to suddenly malfunction, hypothetically there could be a huge unintentional energy release that as you suggest would be bad for anything nearby.

That's my point.

I'm an empiricist. Assumptions are being made using magical thinking and had waiving, and it's very frustrating to me.

This stuff is no more a silver bullet than Uncle Stan saying the MJ-12 docs are real. The AWD and those documents occupy the same category in my mind.

Maybe a better analogy is the classical .com business model:

Create a business -> ? -> profit!

David Pares a Professor from Nebraska has created warp bubbles on smaller scale working models.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That has never been replicated by anyone.

Just like cold fusion, perpetual motion devices, and a host of other 'breakthroughs.'

Hell, just the fact that he uses the Bermuda Triangle as inspiration for his 'device' gives me the willies.

I don't think warp bubbles are physically possible. As they stand now there is no evidence for them other than as geometric patterns resulting from mathematical analogies to hypothetical real world behavior. What the bubble concept really is, isn't so much a "bubble" as a description of properties that can be illustrated in that way to help make sense of them. I think the graphic EQ analogy for audio is a good comparison. With a graphic EQ, sound is portrayed as a graphical representation using a series of bars corresponding to frequency amplitude, and hypothetically we could create a variety of such readouts in different shapes and sizes including circles. In fact that's a major consideration in audio player visualizations, but changing the way something is visualized doesn't do anything to the actual thing itself. A graphical EQ is simply a picture, not sound. And a warp bubble is simply a picture, not the actual things it represents.
The Alcubierre warp field concept is a useful thought experiment (physicists sometimes call it a “gedankenxperiment,” which is just German for “thought experiment”), for a few reasons:

1.) It illustrates that the principle of gravitational field propulsion is theoretically viable at a fundamental level. Nothing in the general theory of relativity, which is obviously an extraordinarily successful theory, prohibits this kind of propulsion principle. That’s very important because it’s the first formal and peer-reviewed theoretical concept to offer a real glimmer of hope for manned superluminal travel among the stars.

2.) It provides a very simple and unambiguous description of the performance characteristics of a gravitational field propulsion mechanism. And the fact that these characteristics are 100% consistent with what we’ve seen in the most interesting ufo cases, is a powerful confirmation that this is the correct direction to pursue. Reports of these types of field propulsion devices in our skies are remarkably common: reports of rockets arriving from other worlds are exactly zero.

3.) The design of Alcubierre’s concept makes for an excellent pedagogical discussion about the theoretical physics of spacetime propulsion, which could otherwise get complicated and confusing. In his model, all three components are easy to conceptualize independently: the region within the spherical shell of field energy, the field itself, and the universe beyond it. Confining the field to a shell makes it easy to discuss the equivalence of the reference frames within the bubble and the rest frame beyond it, and averts lots of tedious technical debates about fringe effects and mechanical strains and time dilation effects and all the rest of it.

But it’s by no means the final word on the subject: it’s a starting point to inspire further theoretical development.

A lot of people absolutely detest the process of theoretical physics. About half the physics PhD’s I know simply abhor the messy, creative, and often inconclusive and highly contentious process of theoretical development, preferring the tried and proven results that can be found in academic textbooks, where all arguments can be settled right there in black and white – someone’s right, and someone’s wrong. The other half enjoys the novel ideas at the horizon of theoretical physics, the exploration of new frontiers of thought - the license to dream, and the consuming challenge of finding new solutions to very complex puzzles. It’s just a matter of personal temperament. And both types of mind are required for the advancement of science from the chalk board to the production line.

David Pares a Professor from Nebraska has created warp bubbles on smaller scale working models.
Pares strikes me as a classic Trekkie. It’s easy to disparage the guy, but I have a lot of respect for experimentalists, so I won’t jump on the bandwagon. I hope he comes up with something cool. History is full of examples where experimentalists trying to do one thing, stumbled across something else that turned out to be important. There’s absolutely no down side whatsoever to people trying out their crazy ideas, so more power to him. My best guess is that the copper power lines he’s using are heating up and deforming, thereby pulling on his antenna array, and that he’s rotating metal with the Lenz law effect, but I’d love to be wrong.

Because the simple truth of the matter is this: we need a breakthrough in field propulsion if we’re ever going to traverse the stars in any practical way, because the rocket principle ain’t gonna cut it.

We know the physics of rocketry intimately. So we can calculate the energy and time requirements of using a rocket - even an antimatter rocket that exploits the most powerful reaction medium imaginable, to try to get to the stars. And the energy requirements are ludicrous. Here’s a quote from the antimatter rocket proposal that Marduck provided:

“As an example of the need for improvements needed in the antimatter propulsion system, we can consider the characteristics of the 10X better radiator and magnet vehicle described above. The full 4-stage vehicle requires a total antiproton propellant load of 39,300,000 MT (metric tons). The annihilation (MC^2) energy of this much antimatter (plus an equal amount of matter) corresponds to ~17.7 million years of current Human energy output. At current production efficiencies (10^-9), the energy required to produce the antiprotons corresponds to ~17.7 quadrillion [10^15] years of current Human energy output.”​

That’s preposterous. The Sun is going to heat up in the next billion years, wiping out human civilization, so we’d have to increase the production efficiency millions of times over to launch our first manned interstellar mission by the time we face immanent extinction.

So it seems crystal clear to me, and many others, that there’s a much higher chance that we can devise a viable superluminal field propulsion mechanism long before that. I’d be shocked if it took more than a thousand years to come up with a solid proposal, and ten thousand years to build it. Because if ufo sightings are any indicator, then lots of civilizations have already pulled it off, and we can too.

Last edited:
I actually no longer think we may develop FTL.

I think we'll go post-biological and either stop caring about how long it takes because we'll be effectively immortal, or stop exploring altogether. Once you hit Kardashev 2 kinda scale, it may be pointless.

Still think Bob Lazar had the misfortune to stumble onto the classified gear and think he mix truth with fact to protect himself . Like late Col Corso both in my grey basket and after speaking to eyewitness who worked /slaved in the V1-2 NAZI rocket areas who saw flying saucers fly over during end of WW2 not Ghost rockets. Also able to talk to a former Ambassador who (not long retried) saw more than one UFO sighting and managed to stumble into a top secret gathering where UFO subject was discussed and the threats they are toward our forces during the 1950s. Do they have anti-gravity already no doubt.

Always look to events and the patterns. Space announments ,
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/...p-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-top-region&_r=0

Last edited:
Still think Bob Lazar had the misfortune to stumble onto the classified gear and think he mix truth with fact to protect himself . Like late Col Corso both in my grey basket and after speaking to eyewitness who worked /slaved in the V1-2 NAZI rocket areas who saw flying saucers fly over during end of WW2 not Ghost rockets. Also able to talk to a former Ambassador who (not long retried) saw more than one UFO sighting and managed to stumble into a top secret gathering where UFO subject was discussed and the threats they are toward our forces during the 1950s. Do they have anti-gravity already no doubt.
With Corso & Lazar neither story gets us any closer to what had already been conjectured and both appear to contain fabrication and misinformation, or possibly disinformation. I sort of like your theory that maybe Lazar's move was for self preservation. But then again, nobody had ever heard of Lazar before his UFO story broke, so they could have silenced him fairly easily and nobody would have been the wiser. Hmm. Either way it seems maybe there's something there. Knapp still seems to think so. I dunno. Friedman figures Lazar is a total phoney. When it comes right down to it, aren't all the aliens in the "grey" basket?
Trump is a snake in a suit opportunist whose main management strategy is firing people and issuing executive orders. I don't think he truly appreciates anyone or anything but his own ego. IMO he pretty much epitomizes everything that's wrong with government and corporate culture.

Last edited:
Lazar was either lying or was lied to. Or some combination thereof.

One only needs to look up element 115 in wikipedia. It has a half life of 0.8 seconds, is extremely radioactive, and does not have any untoward gravitational effects.

Quite unlike what he described as fueling the 'sport model.'

I actually no longer think we may develop FTL.

I think we'll go post-biological and either stop caring about how long it takes because we'll be effectively immortal, or stop exploring altogether. Once you hit Kardashev 2 kinda scale, it may be pointless.

Or it may be that going PB is a necessary interim step before FTL is feasible.

"If We Ever Encounter Extraterrestrial Intelligence it is Overwhelmingly Likely to be Post-Biological" (Today's Most Popular)

“In other words,” he says, “most of the intelligence in the cosmos, I would venture, is synthetic intelligence and that may disappoint movie goers who expect little grey guys with big eyeballs, no clothes, no hair or sense of humour.”

The argument assumes that the creatures who built the first AIs – grey guys, hyper- intelligent pan-dimensional beings, sentient trees or whatever – are no longer around.

What if the aliens we are looking for are AI?

Always look to events and the patterns. Space announments ,
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/...p-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-top-region&_r=0
(Hey I think you accidentally posted the wrong link – this one goes to a New York Times article about the alleged Trump/Russia connection)

It’s certainly conceivable that our military already has some kind of gravitational field propulsion device. Most of the indicators I’ve come across point to US military tech being >35 years ahead of the public sector. And people tend to grossly underestimate the scientific capabilities of the defense industry: while academic research has to scrape for funding, researchers at Lockheed and Boeing and Northrop Grumman and the likes, get all the funding they need. And those projects, from concept to production, are often classified as Special Access Programs and Unacknowledged Special Access Programs. Meaning that we peons never hear a word about them. Several decades of our top scientific minds working in secret with virtually unlimited funding, and yeah, there’s no telling how far they’ve come. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least to find out that they’ve had a unified field theory for decades, and that it threw open the doors to field propulsion technology.

With Corso & Lazar neither story gets us any closer to what had already been conjectured and both appear to contain fabrication and misinformation, or possibly disinformation. I sort of like your theory that maybe Lazar's move was for self preservation. But then again, nobody had ever heard of Lazar before his UFO story broke, so they could have silenced him fairly easily and nobody would have been the wiser. Hmm. Either way it seems maybe there's something there. Knapp still seems to think so. I dunno. Friedman figures Lazar is a total phoney.
I’m >90% confident that Lazar is a hired disinformation agent. For one thing, his public records paint a clear picture of a guy who was a shifty weasel long before his alleged hiring to work at S4 – a guy like that would never get the security clearance required for a program that sensitive…but he’s an ideal candidate for an intelligence operation. And he’s always surrounded by “minders” when he talks in public – that’s a dead giveaway. He’s being kept “on script.”

Here’s how this theory breaks down: military research scientists had a good reason to want more funding and research into element 115 and the other superheavy elements on the “island of stability,” so they recruited Lazar, a sketchy dude with a shoddy education and a love for money, to get the word out far and wide. The best way to do that, since classified research programs are totally compartmentalized, is to concoct a sensationalistic fictional story about UFO’s at a mysterious secret base like Area 51, so the popular press broadcasts it around the world and everyone hears about it. Think of this as “the candy wrapper.” But cloaked within that fictional narrative, you bury a kernel of truth that you want to get out to other research scientists – let’s call that “the information payload.” So when the public sees the fraudulent claims in the candy wrapping, they throw out the whole story as garbage. But you also include some real details that government security people can verify, like idiosyncrasies in the hiring process and details about security procedure that only insiders would know – that tips off the insiders that this is a legitimate intelligence operation, so they’ll dig out the information payload.

It’s a brilliant strategy – clearly there are some people working in government intelligence that know their stuff. How many years have we been arguing about whether Lazar was telling the truth, or if he’s a full-out scam artist, which is a false dichotomy? The truth is “neither – he’s just a hired gun,” imo.

And to the casual observer on the sidelines, element 115 is an unstable element, so its potentially exotic properties are irrelevant. But the truth is far more interesting. We’ve only synthesized four unstable isotopes of element 115 (named “Moscovium,” of all things)...we haven't reached "the island of stability" yet. I spent several days studying the papers by the research team at the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna, Russia, and their calculations predict that one or more neutron-rich isotopes – which we don’t have the technological capability to synthesize yet (in the public sector at least) – could be very stable. There could be isotopes on the island of stability with half-lives of thousands or even millions of years. The Russians have proposed an ambitious new facility that would provide the means to produce the neutron-rich isotopes at the center of the island of stability, but last I checked it hadn’t been funded yet.

A stable isotope of Moscovium could prove to have extraordinary properties. Because the transuranium elements have increasingly deformed nuclear structures, resembling a dumbbell shape. And as we’ve seen with general relativity and binary neutron stars, a dumbbell mass distribution undergoing major-axis rotation emits gravitational radiation. It’s possible – likely, even, that a stable nucleus of Moscovium could emit gravitational radiation. It could be the key to a quantum model of gravity, which could hold as-yet-unimagined technological potential.

White–Juday warp-field interferometer
This little warp coil is fascinating stuff. It’s based on a higher-dimension physical theory that’s extremely speculative, but the notion of creating a dark energy effect using positive energy (circumventing the need for negative energy) is an audacious concept. Sadly, they haven’t detected a signal above the noise threshold. But maybe if they had a few million dollars instead of a few thousand to build prototypes, they could make some progress.

Controversial 'Warp Drive' To Finally Undergo Peer Review
This paper came out last November – it’s about the dreaded “EM Drive,” not the warp field experiment (people have gotten them mixed up – they’re totally different experiments). It turns out that they measured a movement of 10 micrometers (millionths of a meter) and a force of about 100 micro-Netwons, which is 50 times smaller than a Hall thruster using the same wattage. The signal appears to be well above the noise level, but is it proof that we need to throw out the conservation of momentum, or did they miss some kind of tiny error in the experiment? Could go either way, but the Vegas money in on "experimental error." So the EM Drive is still in the grey basket. It would be cool if it weren’t just an experimental error of thermal or electrical origin, but it probably is. There’s still no intelligible theory for how a simple closed microwave cavity could produce thrust.

But like Usual Suspect said, I’d love to see a guy invent a field propulsion concept in his garage, and Roger Shawyer basically built this thing in his garage, so I’m rooting for him even though I don’t believe it works – at least not yet. Here’s the Eagleworks paper about it:

"Measurement of Impulsive Thrust from a Closed Radio Frequency Cavity in Vacuum," White, March, Lawrence et al., 2016
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20170000277.pdf

Alien Spacecraft Back Engineered - Anti Gravity Propulsion – Disclose.tv
The interesting thing about this, beyond the nifty story about a secret demonstration at Lockheed, is the striking similarity to the interesting patent by Townsend Brown. Today the “Biefeld-Brown effect” is attributed almost exclusively to the dumb “ion wind” lifters that gained popularity in the late 90’s. But he patented a totally different idea that he called the “cellular gravitator,” which bears no resemblance to the popular ion wind devices. His cellular gravitator devices consisted of capacitor stacks wrapped in dielectric. It’s very difficult to attribute the effects that he reported with those devices, to an ion wind effect – to significantly move a dense block of material like that would produce a very audible hissing sound, for one thing, and he reported totally silent operation.

Mark McCandlish’s description looks like that device scaled up for a test vehicle. So either he was fed disinformation, or there could be something to Townsend Brown’s invention. I’d love to know. Unfortunately McCandlish takes it too far, beyond that – he makes way too many assumptions about the rest of the alleged test craft. But the heart of it could be right – I’ve never seen a proper scientific analysis of the cellular gravitator. People have tested the dumb ion wind effect and of course that doesn’t work in a vacuum, but it’s strange that the other more interesting device has never been publicly tested properly, to my knowledge.

Or it may be that going PB is a necessary interim step before FTL is feasible.
Nah – physics is physics. The energy requirements might be beyond our reach at present, but there’s no way to know for sure until we have a valid quantum field theory of gravity.

What if the aliens we are looking for are AI?
It seems very likely to me that some of the craft we’ve witnessed are AI probes. It’s good to bear in mind that if intelligent life is fairly common in the cosmos, then odds are high that most sightings involve entirely different civilizations.

Here’s the thing about field propulsion: it’s obvious that if any of the UFO reports are true, then field propulsion is an attainable reality. The reported craft exhibit precisely the performance characteristics that we currently predict for a gravitational field propulsion concept. So it can be done. And if it can be done, then two things are true:

1.) superluminal interstellar spaceflight is attainable, and

2.) we humans can do it too, if we can figure out how it’s achieved.

Last edited:
(Hey I think you accidentally posted the wrong link – this one goes to a New York Times article about the alleged Trump/Russia connection)

It’s certainly conceivable that our military already has some kind of gravitational field propulsion device. Most of the indicators I’ve come across point to US military tech being >35 years ahead of the public sector. And people tend to grossly underestimate the scientific capabilities of the defense industry: while academic research has to scrape for funding, researchers at Lockheed and Boeing and Northrop Grumman and the likes, get all the funding they need. And those projects, from concept to production, are often classified as Special Access Programs and Unacknowledged Special Access Programs. Meaning that we peons never hear a word about them. Several decades of our top scientific minds working in secret with virtually unlimited funding, and yeah, there’s no telling how far they’ve come. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least to find out that they’ve had a unified field theory for decades, and that it threw open the doors to field propulsion technology.

Regarding link something happen for a reason. Now the covert/special access programs agree are much further than even the science community would know. Also the length and construction of the place the SAP are held most likely. Regarding Lazar story agree third hand play and good to see a open minded physicist . I glad other scientist are opening up and watch China and India in next few years they don;t have the constraints like the West. Also agree UFO there is falsely claims as real which none rational explanation. Big change in the science community many are saying "we don't know'. Agree on the anti-gravity subject it's when will it be released mainstream and hope soon. Not ignoring vast military complex which many scientist never visit.

Here’s the thing about field propulsion: it’s obvious that if any of the UFO reports are true, then field propulsion is an attainable reality. The reported craft exhibit precisely the performance characteristics that we currently predict for a gravitational field propulsion concept.. So it can be done. And if it can be done, then two things are true:

1.) superluminal interstellar spaceflight is attainable, and

2.) we humans can do it too, if we can figure out how it’s achieved.

And i think there is a case to be made for the "tease" effect that seems to be an aspect of the sightings.
I think its possible we are being baited. Presented with just enough information to create a puzzle.
In solving it we "discover" these technology's, In discovering them we create the language and lexicon to understand them.

Even this discussion is an example, gravitational field propulsion is a much more sophisticated description than chariots of the gods.

EmDrive: Leaked Nasa paper reveals 'Star Trek' microwave thruster does work

Good video here.

Hes concerned this technology is being suppressed, and its worth noting the wiffleball fusion technology that looked so promising got bought up by the US navy and dropped off the radar too.

This paper came out last November – it’s about the dreaded “EM Drive,” not the warp field experiment (people have gotten them mixed up – they’re totally different experiments).

Thats true but.....

The NASA-based group claimed there was a way to use microwaves to fire a craft through space without needing a heavy propellant. Not only does this mechanism appear to upend certain physical laws, but additional claims were made all across the wilderness of the Internet that during the testing of the drive, the researchers noticed that the fabric of space was being warped around it – hence, the “warp drive.”

So its possible that the EM drive is also have "warp" type effects as well.

NASA EM Drive One Step Closer To Reality: Warp Drive Theoretically Possible, But Don't Hold Your Breath

It's also possible that the EM drive is simply an error.

Noise or experimental error[edit]

NASA Eagleworks's illustration of the superposition of displacements caused by thermal expansion, a pulse, and the cumulative effect of a pulse + thermal expansion

Eaglework's displacement test results
The simplest and most likely explanation is that any thrust detected is due to experimental error or noise. In all of the experiments set up, a very large amount of energy goes into generating a tiny amount of thrust. The strongest early result, from Yang's group, was later reported to be caused by a large experimental error.[6]

The 2016 Eagleworks paper discusses nine possible sources of experimental error.[2][73] White argues that most of those error sources were eliminated "fairly definitively". The largest error source however is believed to come from the thermal expansion of the thruster's heat sink; as it expands this would lead to a change in the centre of gravity causing the resonant cavity to move. The authors attempted to model the thermal effect on the overall displacement with White saying "That was the thing we worked the hardest to understand and put in a box". Despite these efforts, White's team were unable to exhaustively account for the thermal expansion in full. In an interview with Aerospace America White comments that "although maybe we put a little bit of a pencil mark through [the error]... they are certainly not black-Sharpie-crossed-out.” Future experiments are planned to run on a type of apparatus called a Cavendish balance. In such a setup, the EmDrive would be able to rotate out to much larger angular displacements, so that the force of the thrust (if present) would dominate over any possible thermal effects. Testing a device in space would also eliminate the centre of gravity issue. [71]

Another likely source of error arrises from the possible electromagnetic interaction with the vacuum chamber’s wall.[71]

In other experiments that have seen positive results, possible explanations include publication bias, where positive observations have no statistical significance, with negative observations being thrown out without being reported.[20]
RF resonant cavity thruster - Wikipedia

It is far from proven.

I would love to see it work, but like other imaginative reaction less propulsion proposals this too one requires magical thinking for it to work.

I'd love to see China put one into space and see what happens, I think they've proposed to do that.

A pretty withering review of the results was done here:

In addition to mechanical and related considerations, the authors’ methods of analysis of sensor data to derive thrusts rests on untenable grounds. Not only is there an assumption of the presence of only a “true” impulse signal as well as a thermal signal, there is an assumption that the observed signal can be broken down into just these 2 components and amplitudes can be calculated based on an idealized superposition assumption. Therefore, until more control tests are performed allowing a more accurate method for estimation of thrusts, no faith can be placed in the thrust magnitudes reported in the paper.
Close Look at Recent EmDrive Paper

Last edited:
And i think there is a case to be made for the "tease" effect that seems to be an aspect of the sightings.
I think its possible we are being baited. Presented with just enough information to create a puzzle.
In solving it we "discover" these technology's, In discovering them we create the language and lexicon to understand them.

Even this discussion is an example, gravitational field propulsion is a much more sophisticated description than chariots of the gods.
That’s an excellent point. That’s how I choose to see it. We have no way of knowing what these craft are or why they sometimes perform mind-boggling acrobatic maneuvers in the sky, but it sure seemed to me like we were intentionally given an aerial demonstration of an exotic form of propulsion technology. Why perform zig-zag maneuvers at thousands of miles per hour, while glowing as brightly as the Sun, unless you actually want to draw attention to your flight capabilities, and perhaps get the witnesses wondering how such a thing is possible? I realize that’s an arbitrary way of looking at it, but it seems like the most productive perspective. We don’t get to choose most of our experiences in life, but we get to choose what use we make of them. So I choose to see it as a challenge: “figure out how we do this, and you people can come traipsing around the universe like we do.”

We do this all the time by offering monetary prizes to people for solving very challenging puzzles. Solving the challenge of gravitational field propulsion offers its own prize: the capability of traversing the stars, and transforming human civilization forever. Any intelligent form of life must realize that some of us would understand this and strive to emulate what we’ve seen these craft do.

EmDrive: Leaked Nasa paper reveals 'Star Trek' microwave thruster does work

Good video here.
This kind of thing really upsets me actually. The popular science press has gone from bad to worse, and Shawyer is the least objective person to ask about his device.

For one thing, Shawyer’s device has not been proven to work – it’s still in the “grey box.” Eighteen years after he created his first test device, the best it’s been able to do, is perhaps produce tiny results that look more like experimental error than a real effect. I’d love to see conclusive evidence that it does work, but it just hasn’t risen to that level yet. Micronewtons of force can come from anything. We’re talking about the force of a grain of sand resting on your palm.

So claims like “1.2 millinewtons per kilowatt” are crappy science. They didn’t detect 1.2 millinewtons of force and they didn’t use 1 kilowatt of power – they potentially detected about 100 micronewtons of force with 80 Watts of power. Then they assumed 1.) that the force is a real effect and not an error, and 2.) that it would scale up linearly. Both of those are very dubious assumptions. And then they compound that unscientific assertion and say that with X amount of power, they could get to Mars in Y number of days. Poppycock. They’re still miles from proving any of that. And even if the effect is real, which is virtually impossible, there's no reason to assume that it will scale up linearly.

Then the pop science press makes even more egregious errors, like attributing this questionable force to a warp field effect that can generate faster-than-light speeds. That’s just ridiculous. There’s every reason to believe that if this effect is real, that it will never generate FTL speeds, because electromagnetic energy can never propel anything faster than its own propagation speed. So if we take a very generous reading of this device and assume for the sake of argument that Shawyer’s extremely unlikely theory of operation is accurate, then the EM Drive (for “electromagnetic drive”) could never ever generate FTL speeds.

Hes concerned this technology is being suppressed, and its worth noting the wiffleball fusion technology that looked so promising got bought up by the US navy and dropped off the radar too.
Shawyer’s concept isn’t being suppressed at all – in fact we hear so much about it that I’m sick of it at this point. Multiple experimental groups have attempted to confirm that it works, but their results are so unimpressive that most scientists assume that any minuscule positive result is just experimental error. The first Chinese group to confirm the concept, later announced that it was experimental error.

And you’re thinking of Bussard’s Polywell reactor – the Navy imposed a “press embargo” on it (a euphemism for “classified”) from 1994-2005, but that ended when they halted funding in 2006. Then Bussard died in 2007, but key members of his team have continued the work with additional Navy funding without the gag order (apparently the Navy has assembled its own team to reproduce and extend the Polywell research program). Their company EMC2 offered an interesting public update just last year; they think they could have a viable device by 2030. I love the Polywell concept – it does look promising. Hopefully they won’t encounter tricky new problems when they try to get a positive power output:
Polywell - Wikipedia

It’s a beautiful and supremely simple device:
Polywell_Fusion_WB6_Mod.jpg

So its possible that the EM drive is also have "warp" type effects as well.

NASA EM Drive One Step Closer To Reality: Warp Drive Theoretically Possible, But Don't Hold Your Breath
No, there’s no reason to think that Shawyer’s device has anything to do with warp field propulsion. It’s a microwave oven. Microwave ovens aren’t warp field propulsion devices. There’s as much reason to think that his microwave cavity is a warp field device, as there is to think that my blender is a time machine.

Statements like this: “The electromagnetic (EM) propulsion drive, or EM Drive, which might make hyperspace travel possible” belong in a pulp fiction magazine, not in a science and technology article.

I really love the work that Eagleworks is doing: I think they should have 100X higher funding levels, because they’re experimenting with novel ideas and they could stumble on something important along the way. But they’re killing their own credibility by making highly sensationalistic claims. That may be good for generating public interest, but the scientific community is really put off by that stuff, and the pop science press is grossly exaggerating that problem. They’re risking the continued existence of their program by extrapolating unproven effects to extravagant future applications. First they have to prove the science behind their research. Only after they prove those effects are real, should they start talking about the specific implications for the future.

Last edited:
Mysterious Universe notes that the NASA scientists are buzzing about the discovery on the NASA Spaceflight Forums. The forums are a place for information regarding the engineering aspects of the space flight and NASA. Therefore, the discovery that laser beams may have just breached the speed of light sent the page into discussions on the long-term implications of warp speed bubbles and the possibly of future warp speed travel.

First, the researchers note that though beams that were shot into the EmDrive were recorded at speeds faster than light, there is still one more study that must be performed to determine with certainty that the light speed barrier was broken. Scientists note that the beams must be shot through the EmDrive in a vacuum environment. This will ensure that the effect was not a result of atmospheric heating.

“I don’t think we can call this length contraction (even though it might look like it) for sure until the same results are in repeated in vacuum.”

Commenters note that the whole finding was one big accident and that researchers did not even realize that the EmDrive was replicating a well-known physicist’s theory of warp bubbles.

“That’s the big surprise. This signature (the interference pattern) on the EmDrive looks just like what a warp bubble looks like. And the math behind the warp bubble apparently matches the interference pattern found in the EmDrive. Seems to have been an accidental connection. They were wondering where this ‘thrust’ might be coming from. One scientists proposed that maybe it’s a warp of the spacetime foam, which is causing the thrust.”

Did NASA Just Accidentally Produce A Warp Bubble? EmDrive Could Lead To Warp Drive

And ive been following Polywell for many years and in 2016 this was published

Conclusions

The committee believes that recent progress in the establishment of Wiffleball confinement is likely one of the most significant advances made in plasma
physics and magnetic fusion over the past 50 years. Unfortunately it has come at a time when the funding for the program is in rapid decline. Further federal
support is urgently needed, if The EMC2 assets are to be preserved and expanded. Otherwise, the United States could well lose another technology
“invented here” but developed outside the country.

And

Park also confirmed that EMC2 no longer works on a Navy project, while expressing his gratitude for their past support. It appears that budget cuts and other priorities may have impacted Navy funding streams. As such, EMC2 is seeking private funding or other funding sources. He admitted that recent turmoil in the energy market and a limited interest in fusion energy by US investors has made his task more difficult. In addition, he expressed his frustration that there was disagreement between EMC2 and Navy with respect to ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulation control, which hindered EMC2’s ability to get their message out to potential investors. Park pointed out the irony that, while the Navy decided to move away from funding Polywell, they were still interested in controlling the technology.

Perhaps it is just budget cuts, but it seems like the navy wants to control this technology and perhaps with good reason.

I wrote a detailed post here many years back that details how antigrav technology and free or very cheap energy could destroy the global economy if introduced too quickly.

Eugene Podkletnov - Wikipedia

Is another interesting case to follow
In a BBC news item, it was alleged that researchers at Boeing were funding a project called GRASP (Gravity Research for Advanced Space Propulsion) which would attempt to construct a gravity shielding device based on rotating superconductors,[8] but a subsequent Popular Mechanics news item stated that Boeing had denied funding GRASP with company money, although Boeing acknowledged that it could not comment on "black projects".[9] It is alleged that the GRASP proposal was presented to Boeing and Boeing chose not to fund it.[10]

His alleged technology can also be weaponized or so they say.

“But it is also apparent that Podkletnov’s work could be engineered into a radical new weapon. The GRASP paper focuses on Podkletnov’s claims that his high-power experiments, using a device called an ‘impulse gravity generator’, are capable of producing a beam of ‘gravity-like’ energy that can exert an instantaneous force of 1,000g on any object — enough, in principle, to vaporise it, especially if the object is moving at high speed.

“Podkletnov maintains that a laboratory installation in Russia has already demonstrated the 4in (10cm) wide beam’s ability to repel objects a kilometre away and that it exhibits negligible power loss at distances of up to 200km.

“Such a device, observers say, could be adapted for use as an anti-satellite weapon or a ballistic missile shield. Podkletnov declared that any object placed above his rapidly spinning superconducting apparatus lost up to 2% of its weight.

“Although he was vilified by traditionalists who claimed that gravity-shielding was impossible under the known laws of physics, the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) attempted to replicate his work in the mid-1990s.

“Because NASA lacked Podkletnov’s unique formula for the work, the attempt failed. NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama will shortly conduct a second set of experiments using apparatus built to Podkletnov’s specifications.”

Boeing Admitted Testing Anti-Gravity 12 Years Ago | Humans Are Free

Back